15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   staffstony

staffstony

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • My Tiguan:2015 R line DSG 4 Motion 135kw
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:26 PM

I've been reading the various threads on adding the offroad function to the Tiguan.

I have a UK 2015 (65 plate) R line diesel 135kw 4 motion with stop start, and to be honest I am thoroughly confused by what I have read, it seems some models have the off road switch connected to the BCM, others to the ECU, would someone who has already done the mode check that what I have assumed to be the case for my model vehicle is actually correct before I go ahead with it.

I have ordered the correct switch panel for my Tiguan, using the information in this thread 

https://www.mytiguan...to-2010-tiguan/

which for my vehicle is p/n 5N2927137BCXSH

and the pins for the plugs N90764701

Looking on Elsawin, I see

(sorry I posted the screen shot from Elsawin but it got removed)

E461 is the switch panel, E598 being the off road button, which I think is actually pulling T18/14 to negative (T18/9) , the indicator for the off road mode switch is T18/5 which goes high when off road is enabled, but that being the case the LED's shown in the schematic are drawn backwards.

Now, I cannot figure out if these two wires go to the ECU or BCM, following them on Elsawin they go to J519 which is shown as 'Onboard supply control unit' which looks to be located behind the fuse box in the drivers footwell.

Assuming this is correct, 

1) how do you actually get at the connectors to insert the additional pins

2) do you need to disconnect the vehicle battery before removing these connectors or is it safe to leave it connected.

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions, it's the first time I have attempted any 'hardware' modfifactions on the Tig, don't want to destroy something....

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 09:36 PM

#2 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 2878 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 SEL 2.0 TSI 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Rural Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:54 PM

Welcome to the group,I'm still sorting thru Off-road myself on my US 2013 bit hopefully have it sorted that mine needs a negative pulse since it is wired to the bcm. I get all my connectors thru AliExpress butb:VW repair wires is all you need cut them in half and solder new wire to extend them as long as you need. Always disconnect the battery when playing with the BCM.

Also Elsawin is copyrighted material so it's not allowed to be posted.. any copyrighted material is not allowed to be posted. You can share it thru messages but not in posts.
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL, 2.0 TSI, 4 Motion, 6 Speed Tiptronic, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

OEM+ OR BUST

APR Stage 1, Hartmann Euromesh 4 GA 18x8, Continental Control Contact Sport SRS, Custom Leveling Kit

Previous: 2011 Golf TDI Stage 2+, 2008 Jetta S 2.5, 1965 VW Beetle
Other Rides: 2017 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 SuperLow

Complete Mod list now on my profile

“Good cars get you from point A to point B. Great cars…Well they just get you in to trouble.” —Unknown

#3 OFFLINE   staffstony

staffstony

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 05:27 PM

Hi Iggy,

Thank you for the welcome, am I correct in assuming the BCM is what is also called the 'onboard supply control unit' and that is the thing located behind the fuse box by the steering wheel, mine is a RHD car being in the UK.

Thanks also for the tip about Elsawin not being allowed to be posted, I wasn't aware, lesson learned.

I did think that  disconnecting the vehicle battery was in order, a while back I had a Ford Kuga which was a pain when the battery was removed, requiring the electric windows to be recalibrated amongst other things.

Hopefully, once the bits arrive next week, I should be making a start next weekend weather permitting of course, just need to figure out how to get access to the module behind the fusebox, if that is indeed the correct one.

I'll post back if and when I get it working..

#4 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 2878 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:00 PM

It's a box with 3 big connections on it black, white and tan. Can't miss it. It's easier to get to in a RHD because the steering wheel of a LHD like mine isn't in the way. 5 screws and a couple connectors and your glove box pops out. Me and I have to do a head stand to get at it. Lol. Good luck and I assume you have vcds to add +512 to the ABS module to activate hill decent modem while it's on?
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL, 2.0 TSI, 4 Motion, 6 Speed Tiptronic, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

OEM+ OR BUST

APR Stage 1, Hartmann Euromesh 4 GA 18x8, Continental Control Contact Sport SRS, Custom Leveling Kit

“Good cars get you from point A to point B. Great cars…Well they just get you in to trouble.” —Unknown

#5 OFFLINE   theoldseacaptain

theoldseacaptain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • My Tiguan:13 2.0 TDI 4M

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:02 PM

I’ve done this on a 2013 so should be the same wired to the BCM.

yes, the onboard control unit is the big black box under the steering wheel and behind the fuse box - the how to guide on here is spot on for identifying the plugs and pins and how to get at everything.

Make sure that you completely separate the two halves of each plug - it will become clear when you do it - as the pins won’t push fully home otherwise.

#6 OFFLINE   staffstony

staffstony

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 12:14 PM

Iggy,

You are saying the glovebox needs to come out, that implies that the BCM is on the passenger side of the vehicle (UK RHD car), but @theoldsecaptain is saying that it is behind the fuse box under the steering wheel, which is the drivers side (UK RHD) which is what I assumed from reading the other threads about off road.

I have someone available who has access to the required software to do the coding, I just need to run in the wiring and do the hardware install.

That said, we've just put the diagnostic software on the Tig and it is showing a haldex pump fault, so I am inclined to get that sorted first whilst there is still a warrany on the car before I go adding and changing stuff, the car was dealer serviced all it's life and on the last dealer service at 40,000 had a haldex fluid change (but probably not the filter / pump screen).

It's done about 3ooo miles since then but not really being able to go anywhere due to lockdown, I haven't really had chance to test the AWD, but flooring the pedal on a gravel path this morning has caused the front wheels to spin, the rear wheels don't and the traction control light flickers, so i'm guessing there is a AWD fault.

Thanks both for replying to my post, I really appreciate the help and guidance.

#7 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 2878 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 05:10 PM

I may be incorrect but I thought on the Mk1 the bcm was on the left side as well as the fuse box on both LHD and RHD. I am probably incorrect.

OEM+ OR BUST

#8 OFFLINE   staffstony

staffstony

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:40 AM

Well, quick update, the crimp pins arrived yesterday, so I couldn't wait and the sun was shining for a change.

I followed the excellent write up by Dougie175 here :-

https://www.mytiguan...to-2010-tiguan/

The BCM on a 2015 UK RHD car is located behind the fuse box in the drivers side footwell, to get access to it, remove the two torx screw that hold in the fuse box, the fuse box will then drop down and back giving just enough room to get into the BCM.

The connections I used were exactly the same as in the post I linked to above, that is T52A pin 32 for the switch and T52B pin14 for the LED.

I crimped two pins onto some lengths of thin equipment wire, and disconnected the vehicle battery, I then removed T52A, and has been posted before, the crimp pin will not go in unless you split the connector.

Remove the 'shell' that covers the wiring, there are two clips on the end that need a small amount of pressure and the shell slides off in the opposite direction to the wiring exit.

Then, the two halves of the connector slide apart, it is dead easy then to push the crimp pin in, they only go in one way around, there isn't much room to get your hands and a torch in the space, but it isn't too difficult even for my aging eyes.

Once done, slide the two parts of the connector back together, then slide the shell back on.

Repeat the procedure for the other BCM connector, the crimp goes into T52B pin 14 which is the feed to the LED behind the 'off road' switch.

Then, before putting everything back together, I ran the two wires back to the switch panel in the center console, cable tying it at various points to stop it falling or catching anything that moves.

I reconnected the battery, and was greeted by several warning lights, TC, steering, tyre pressure etc.

Running VCDS cleared most of them, except the TPMS and steering, the steering one cleared itself after turning the steering wheel fully left and then fully right (my mate who used to work at a VM garage says he's seen that many times and is normal?)

Whilst I had VCDS open, I did the coding, which was exactly the same as described in the link above by Dougie175, mine also didn't show 'bit 2' so I had to change the byte from 40 to 44, on the ABS module, my value was different from Dougie175's so I simply added 512 to the value shown and that seems to have worked fine.

As the switches have not yet arrived, I measured the voltage on the wires, there was 12v on the switch wire, and 0v on the LED wire, as a test, I connected the switch wire to 0v and the symbol on the dash (green car going downhill) came on, the LED wire went to +12v, shorting it to 0v it again the symbol went off and the LED wire went back to 0v, so everything looked to be working :smile:

I then re-assembled everything and soldered a small pushbutton momentary switch to the switch wire and the other side of the switch to 0v so I could activate it whilst driving and went for a test run. There is a really steep hill about 1/4 a mile from my home, so that would be an ideal test location.

Once I had started moving, after about 300 yards, the TMPS light went out, I guess it needed to see some pulses from the wheel sensors to clear it, I got to the top of the hill and started going down at about 20MPH, I hit the button, the indicator came on on the cluster and the brakes started to slow down the car to a walking pace.

I also noticed that the acceleration has changed massively when in 'off road' mode, you really have to press the pedal down to get moving, pressing my switch again to take it out of off-road and everything returns to normal.

So, a very successful modification, which should be really useful when we go to the Scottish Highlands over winter.

I just need to sort the Haldex pump error and await the proper switch panel arriving now.

Running VCDS now shows no errors other than the Haldex one after a test drive, so everything is good.

So thank you to everyone who replied to my original post and most importantly thanks to Dougie175 for his excellent post.

#9 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 2878 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:45 AM

You are going to make me get off my lazy bum tomorrow and do this if it ain't raining. Lol!!

OEM+ OR BUST

#10 OFFLINE   tricky

tricky

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 1931 posts
  • My Tiguan:2015 Match 177 DSG 4M
  • Additional Location Information::Llandeilo, South Wales

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:03 AM

Well done staffstony, very impressive work!

Richard. OFC ®

Volvo XC40 Inscription, B4 mild hybrid AWD

Previously, 2015 Tiguan Match 177ps DSG 4motion, nimbus grey, with loads of goodies for 6 years, caravanner.

#11 OFFLINE   staffstony

staffstony

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:00 AM

Thank you, although I certainly couldn't have done it without the help I got from you folks.

To be honest, it 'read' much more scary than it actually was, mainly because of the different versions of the mod i.e UK and USA vehicles, and the two ways of doing the wiring, the pre-2010 and post 2010 both of which used different contol modules.

I had visions of being upside down in the footwell etc, but in actual fact the ramble I wrote above only took about 60 minutes to complete, and several minutes of that were speaking to the ex VW guy on the phone!

I forgot to add to get to the rear of the center console switches is quite easy too, at least in my 2015 DSG model, simply push your fingers down inside the leather gear shift gater, then pull the silver rim upwards, it should then lift up.

Beneath the silver rim are two torx screws, one each side of the console, remove these then the whole center section simply lifts up and slides backwards away from the dash.

With care and a bit of twisting and wiggling, I managed to unplug the various plugs from the back of it, then by twisting the silver rimmed gear gaitor piece, you can manipulate it through the hole in the center section you have just removed, the center section will then come completely out of the way allowing you to release the switch panel.

Hopefully, once the new switches arrive this week, it'll all be done and dusted, i'll then be looking for the next mod to do :-)

#12 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 2878 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:18 PM

Well no dice for me. I've got 12v on the T52A and OV on T52B. Changed 40 to 44 in the BCM byte 8, added 512 to my ABS and touched the 12v to chassis ground nothing. No change in the Ov line to say if a button has been pressed. Le Sigh... Guess this one's just a no go for me.

OEM+ OR BUST

#13 OFFLINE   kev3

kev3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • My Tiguan:Tiguan SE

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:46 PM

Hello Dan,

On the BCM you have the crimps in the correct places on the plugs?

(it's hard to see the pin numbers on some connectors!)

Do you have a good ground point?

Button wire T52A pin 32  this then needs to touch ground 0V to put the Tiguan in to OFF Road mode.

LED wire T52B pin14 (when in OFF Road mode this is high 12V).

#14 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 2878 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:16 AM

Yep, checked, double checked and triple checked. Just odd that I have the 12v onnpin 32 and just can't get it to activate. I don't have my button panel redesigned so I just have the wires ran to the bcm and used a momentary. I didn't have anything hooked to pin 14 other than a wire. But after touching pin 32 there was no change on pin 14 still read 0v. So I tried adding another 512 and all heck broke loose.

Attached File  PXL_20210224_215315112.jpg   138.15KB   2 downloads

Moving into my 5th year trying to get it activated. I wonder if something isn't totally ran on a US model as I've verified my ABS system is okay and others have made it work. I wonder if the cluster even has a light behind the HDC icon.

Tried it in gear, park on and off, manual down in 1st. Just got me stumped I really thought between Dougie and Tony I had one last chance.

OEM+ OR BUST

#15 OFFLINE   kev3

kev3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • My Tiguan:Tiguan SE

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:45 AM

The system did not like another 512!!!!

Don't give up because when you final do it the reward is so much more!

What are you module part number and software numbers for the Engine, ABS & BCM?

I can compare then to mine.

Do you have any photos of T52A (Black) / T52B(white) and your new wires?

Attached File  DSC03201.JPG   95.92KB   1 downloads

#16 OFFLINE   staffstony

staffstony

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 12:35 PM

Just a very quick follow up to say that the switch module arrived from TPS, after crimping the two pins on the wires, one for the switch, one for the LED I swapped the switch module over and everything seems to work a treat.

So, thanks to everyone who offered help with this project, and to Dougie175 for his excellent write up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.