mike2020

myTiguan Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 103TDI Pacific
  • Where are you located?:Australia
  • Additional Location Information::Tasmania

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:04 AM

I've been using Armorall Wash and Wax, costing $8 for 1 litre, for a decade with no complaints, but today saw Meguiars Car Shampoo for $35.

I have just started using Meguiars Dash and Trim Restorer and it lasts better on the exterior than anything else I have tried but is it really worth spending $35 on their shampoo?

Back in the 60s I remember using a squirt of washing up detergent in a bucket that worked well enough and just wondered if we have been hyped?

2013 Tiguan 103TDI 4-Motion Pacific. Wild Cherry Red. DSG. Tow bar. Body mouldings. Bonnet and headlight protectors. Glorious Russian bonnet gas strut lifts.

Currently, undergoing internship to become a member of the OFC

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 08:29 PM

#2 OFFLINE   Roy03

Roy03

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • My Tiguan:Match 4MT in wild cherry
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::West Sussex

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:34 AM

I used to use washing up liquid in my youth, but then found out it contains salt which damages your paintwork (also mother used to ask where's all my fairy liquid gone). I use Simoniz shampoo with carnauba wax in it, and I'm very impressed with it, a little goes a long way

Roy

Member of the OFC

#3 ONLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 2878 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 SEL 2.0 TSI 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Rural Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:02 AM

Meguires has extra waxes and silicones in their wash. I don't see it working any better then the local parts store branded wash. Now of it's the stuff with the ceramic coating in it it's well worth it.
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL, 2.0 TSI, 4 Motion, 6 Speed Tiptronic, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

OEM+ OR BUST

APR Stage 1, Hartmann Euromesh 4 GA 18x8, Continental Control Contact Sport SRS, Custom Leveling Kit

Previous: 2011 Golf TDI Stage 2+, 2008 Jetta S 2.5, 1965 VW Beetle
Other Rides: 2017 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 SuperLow

Complete Mod list now on my profile

“Good cars get you from point A to point B. Great cars…Well they just get you in to trouble.” —Unknown

#4 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4659 posts
  • My Tiguan:2020 white 2.0 TDI DSG R Line
  • Additional Location Information::N W Kent the Garden of England

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:18 AM

I’m now addicted to EZ car care products so much so it’s taken over from all the others 8fd427049adea0aac36e523627aa388e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
N.W. Kent England2018 Tiguan Mk2 2.0 TSI DSG SEL deep black pearl, Slash cut exhaust tips, chrome Mirror covers, front wing embellishes, Stainless tail gate trim. 2010 Black 2.0 TDI DSG, 4Motion, Match P/X'd2010 Black EOS SE 140 TDI DSG<p> Member of the OFC

#5 ONLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 2878 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:26 AM

I used to have a ton of detailing supplies like that Mick, just somehow in tbe last year or so I lost my enthusiasm mostly due to my pain to keep my Tiguan washed and detailed weekly. I'm lucky if I am able to wash it once a month anymore but I try and keep it at least vacuumed.
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL, 2.0 TSI, 4 Motion, 6 Speed Tiptronic, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

OEM+ OR BUST

APR Stage 1, Hartmann Euromesh 4 GA 18x8, Continental Control Contact Sport SRS, Custom Leveling Kit

“Good cars get you from point A to point B. Great cars…Well they just get you in to trouble.” —Unknown

#6 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4659 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:50 AM

It must be very hard for you Iggy when your brain says you can but your body says no you can’t.

Mick

N.W. Kent England2018 Tiguan Mk2 2.0 TSI DSG SEL deep black pearl, Slash cut exhaust tips, chrome Mirror covers, front wing embellishes, Stainless tail gate trim. 2010 Black 2.0 TDI DSG, 4Motion, Match P/X'd2010 Black EOS SE 140 TDI DSG<p> Member of the OFC

#7 ONLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 2878 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 08:05 AM

Indeed it is. Biggest thing anymore is I get a few good days gking, then I have to play catch up for the down days turing it into a vicious cycle. Been helping all this week again at my friend's shop helping work on an old Chevy II Nova, was supposed to start helping well over 2 months ago on it. But it's down to my electrical knowledge and hopefully shove the car out the back door next week sometime and start on a 1929 Ford A Pickup coming in for a cab stretch and all new electrical.

OEM+ OR BUST

#8 OFFLINE   Warrior

Warrior

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4246 posts
  • My Tiguan:2017 190PS SEL DSG 2.0 TDI
  • Additional Location Information::Worcester

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:55 AM

I used to have a ton of detailing supplies like that Mick, just somehow in tbe last year or so I lost my enthusiasm mostly due to my pain to keep my Tiguan washed and detailed weekly. I'm lucky if I am able to wash it once a month anymore but I try and keep it at least vacuumed.

Dan, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, what matters is that you look after yourself and stay well.

Steve 
Member of the ROFC
Worcester, U.K.

2017 190PS TDI SEL DSG, Black Pearl, Black Leather, Dynaudio, Keyless, Full Electric Tailgate, TPMS, Park Assist & Rear View Camera, Heated S/Wheel.

Previously - 2011 140PS TDI Match DSG, Black Pearl, Black Leather, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, Convenience, Off Road, Bi-Xenons and retro fit fogs.
Previously - 2008 170PS TD
I Sport Manual, Black Pearl, Black Leather, RNS510, Dynaudio, Park Assist, M/F Wheel, Cruise Control.

#9 OFFLINE   marchie

marchie

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • My Tiguan:150 TDi Match
  • Additional Location Information::Fife, Scotland and Vendee, France

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:19 PM

It must be very hard for you Iggy when your brain says you can but your body says no you can’t.

Mick

Same for me, with the added bonus of Mrs Marchie's 'So don't even think about it' warning. I'm afraid to ask what 'it' is

Put up some curtain rails today; easy enough, EXCEPT that the dry rot repairs involved the contractors burying the cold water supply pipe under the new plaster in apipe that feeds into the upstairs flat supply. Lots of measure, measure again, look at photos I took for the [rejected] insurance claim, and then ginger approach. Panic when I felt a plastic, flexible resistance but remembered it was a floor to ceiling membrane to resist further moisture ingress. Mrs Marchie holding the stepladders 'in case I fall' Too old for this 'squeaky bum time' stuff ...

Steve

Steve BOFC, OFC, MOG and barred from most things

#10 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4659 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:59 PM

I’d check your life insurance policy if I were you Steve

#11 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4659 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 04:01 PM

Talking about car cleaning my mind said I could but my body said “too blo-ody cold today” lol

#12 OFFLINE   Bradh

Bradh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • My Tiguan:R line
  • Additional Location Information::Redditch (Midlands)

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:18 PM

I’m now addicted to EZ car care products so much so it’s taken over from all the others 8fd427049adea0aac36e523627aa388e.jpg

iv seen there stuff about is it any good ?? Currently use autobrite / OCD detailing products , gotta say I hate that wash pad though it’s big and stiff much prefer my Dooka wash pad much better quality 

2009 Tiguan r line 140 * uk member * has genuine vcds

#13 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4659 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:02 AM

iv seen there stuff about is it any good ?? Currently use autobrite / OCD detailing products , gotta say I hate that wash pad though it’s big and stiff much prefer my Dooka wash pad much better quality

Having used most detailing products out there Bradh I believe EZ stuff to be up there with the best. If you buy in their never ending sales it works out very reasonable priced IMHO.

Mick

#14 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4659 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:25 AM

I’ve started to use a product called raining iron in my pre wash routine, it dissolves iron and changes coulor on contact with iron fallout. As I hadn’t cleaned SWMBO’s car for a week and a bit I was surprised by the amount of fallout there was. So I’ll keep on using it so I don’t swirl the paintwork in the future.

Mick

#15 ONLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 2878 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:01 PM

That contamination wash is scary. A good friend details on tbe side and wanted to prove how good it was. Sonic fully detailed, clay barred, decontaminated paint my way and just did a quick polish and was by hand. We then foam cannoned and hit it with that decom stuff and you could see all the areas I missed.

I did just however bust order some stuff from Chemical Guys that is supposed to remove residual wax from trim with a brush for the textured bits. That's always my issue even if ibtaoe off is getting wax on tbe textured bits or being leery and not getting wax up to the trim. Used to use a black wax even on the blue paint that didn't cloud up on trim but I'm just back to using Techwax.

OEM+ OR BUST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.