MattH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • My Tiguan:Tiguan 2.0TDi R-Line 4Motion
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2020 - 04:07 PM

My original ones had what I can only describe as glue looking stuff on random parts of each of the four centre caps. I’m not sure if this is a common issue but I couldn’t get it off so I decided to get some new ones. Now originally I wanted some like for like replacement original ones but I came across these on eBay and put a cheeky bid of £13 in and the seller accepted. One came with a small dent (see picture) in but I messaged the seller who replied almost instantly to offer to send a replacement out, which I can’t fault tbh.

Not sure how I feel about them compared to the original ones but I’ll leave them on and see what I think in a few weeks.

Attached Files

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 05:01 PM

#2 OFFLINE   iangaryprice

iangaryprice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • My Tiguan:Tiguan 2.0Tdi SE 4-motion

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:18 PM

It seems to be quite a common issue, I think its corrosion.

Some of mine look a bit ropey. One fell out, I bought a replacement for a few pounds. Tempted to get 3 more now because the new one looks so much better. I'm sticking with the standard VW ones, I have seen the "R" ones on Ebay, there are some chrome ones as well.

I am impressed with the quality of paint on the actual alloy wheels, mine are free from corrosion - just a few marks from tyre changes.

#3 OFFLINE   Warrior

Warrior

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4151 posts
  • My Tiguan:2017 190PS SEL DSG 2.0 TDI
  • Additional Location Information::Worcester

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:48 AM

There were a few members, including myself, that had problems with the centre caps a few years ago on the Mk1 Tigs.  It was commonly referred to as a milky look.  VW actually replaced them free of charge as it seemed to be quite a common problem.

Steve 
Member of the ROFC
Worcester, U.K.

2017 190PS TDI SEL DSG, Black Pearl, Black Leather, Dynaudio, Keyless, Full Electric Tailgate, TPMS, Park Assist & Rear View Camera, Heated S/Wheel.

Previously - 2011 140PS TDI Match DSG, Black Pearl, Black Leather, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, Convenience, Off Road, Bi-Xenons and retro fit fogs.
Previously - 2008 170PS TD
I Sport Manual, Black Pearl, Black Leather, RNS510, Dynaudio, Park Assist, M/F Wheel, Cruise Control.

#4 OFFLINE   MattH

MattH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:36 PM

There were a few members, including myself, that had problems with the centre caps a few years ago on the Mk1 Tigs. It was commonly referred to as a milky look. VW actually replaced them free of charge as it seemed to be quite a common problem.

Yea this milky issue is exactly what I mean.

#5 OFFLINE   Warrior

Warrior

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4151 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:21 PM

What model Tig do you have, Mk1 or Mk2 and what year? I know you've bought replacements, but If it's still in warranty, ask your dealer to replace them.  If they do, you'll have a spare set.

Steve 
Member of the ROFC
Worcester, U.K.

2017 190PS TDI SEL DSG, Black Pearl, Black Leather, Dynaudio, Keyless, Full Electric Tailgate, TPMS, Park Assist & Rear View Camera, Heated S/Wheel.

Previously - 2011 140PS TDI Match DSG, Black Pearl, Black Leather, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, Convenience, Off Road, Bi-Xenons and retro fit fogs.
I Sport Manual, Black Pearl, Black Leather, RNS510, Dynaudio, Park Assist, M/F Wheel, Cruise Control.

#6 OFFLINE   MattH

MattH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:57 PM

What model Tig do you have, Mk1 or Mk2 and what year? I know you've bought replacements, but If it's still in warranty, ask your dealer to replace them. If they do, you'll have a spare set.

It’s a 2015 MK1 facelift. R line 150 if that makes any difference.

#7 OFFLINE   Warrior

Warrior

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4151 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:16 AM

It’s a 2015 MK1 facelift. R line 150 if that makes any difference.

Just wondering what year it was, as this was originally a problem with the Mk1.

Steve 
Member of the ROFC
Worcester, U.K.

#8 OFFLINE   MattH

MattH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:45 PM

Just wondering what year it was, as this was originally a problem with the Mk1.

Mine is a MK1 facelift. Do you think I’d get anywhere?

#9 OFFLINE   Roy03

Roy03

myTiguan Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • My Tiguan:Match 4MT in wild cherry
  • Additional Location Information::West Sussex

Posted 21 October 2020 - 03:57 AM

Knowing the attitude of VW main dealers, I wouldn't think so when a car is 5yrs old, but good luck!

Roy

Member of the OFC

#10 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Moderators
  • 2169 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 SEL 2.0 TSI 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 21 October 2020 - 04:33 AM

Just FYI never buy a set of the wolfsburg center caps off AliExpress. My Hartmann caps are looking bad again so for the price on like why not. Every one broke as I tried inserting them in the wheel totally brittle plastic. And the logo itself is definitely bad. Lol thankfully I got my money back..
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST.

#11 OFFLINE   MattH

MattH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:42 AM

Just FYI never buy a set of the wolfsburg center caps off AliExpress. My Hartmann caps are looking bad again so for the price on like why not. Every one broke as I tried inserting them in the wheel totally brittle plastic. And the logo itself is definitely bad. Lol thankfully I got my money back..

I’ve never used that site to be honest. I’ve seen a couple of posts on this forum mentioning it. I’d never thought they’d do car bits, always thought just like fashion and gadget type items.

#12 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Moderators
  • 2169 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 SEL 2.0 TSI 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:37 PM

I've honestly got some good stuff for the china market tigs from them and the harness for my RLS conversion. Some of its quality some had been meh, but I have never had issues with refunds if the stuff has been garbage. eBay has got so darn silly on prices and shipping due to ever riding fees and usually takes about a month from China. Other than the stuff I ordered in February took till may and June to get here due to Covid but instill got everything. Others have had mixed luck
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.