Corn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • My Tiguan:Tiguan II, 2.0 TDI 140kW 4wd
  • Where are you located?:Finland

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:45 PM

Hi,

I’m stumbling with infotainment system issue and hopefully someone could help. So when I got the car it had issue that the infotainment system (discover media) didn’t remember language, Bluetooth and sound settings. Dealer checked from their system that it was issue with earlier software version and update was available. Ok, took it to dealer for them to update it but they tried in two different sessions and said that the update fails when around 80% ready and they couldn’t do anything about it. Choices were basically to change the infotainment controller inside the glove box. However it is very expensive so it was not an option for me.

I found out that Zenec makes VW specific media players (Z-E1010) so I decided to buy that from the fraction of OE unit price. It was said to support the OE functions and work with the CAN bus. So I got that Zenec infotainment system and installed it. It seems to work nicely and it uses the CAN to communicate with the car. However I lost the forward facing camera so lane assist and automatic head beam are not working anymore and I got permanent DTC “U112100 - Databus missing message”. Contacted Zenec and they said this is because this system is not supporting lane assist and traffic sign recognition and there was clausal about it in the Can bus overview document saying: “No integration of camera-based electronic assistance systems such as Traffic Sign Recognition and Lane Assist”. Ok, I thought that it is not integrated with the infotainment system but didn’t know that it stops completely working, as it wasn’t interacting with the OE infotainment system either.

This is showstopper to me as I don’t want to be missing any vital safety systems in my car. However when I disconnected the OE unit from the glove box I was wondering why was there this dual fiber optic connector left unconnected. I studied it to be the MOST bus connector. I also found out that there are MOST bus jumper leads available which are advertized to bridge the fiber optic cable of defective units. So I was wondering that could the forward facing camera be connected into this MOST bus and now that the signal is not passing through it is not working. By adding this kind of jumper could it be possible that the camera would work again? At least the fiber optic is not between the display and central unit so something else is using it.

Sorry for the long post. Thank you in advance for help.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 12:25 AM

#2 OFFLINE   stevey83

stevey83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • My Tiguan:Tigaun R Line 2010
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:37 PM

Your new headunit probably lacks the controller to deshiper the signal anyway.

#3 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5820 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:40 AM

Just because Zenec makes both does not mean their consumer grade until will have all the specs VW contracted them to put in the OE unit.

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

#4 ONLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5530 posts
  • My Tiguan:2017 TSi R-Line (3rd Tiguan)
  • Where are you located?:New Zealand
  • Additional Location Information::Alexandra, Central Otago

Posted 27 September 2020 - 03:57 AM

You gets what you pays for !!
Derek

OFC member (Old Farts Club)
3xTC member (3 times Tiguan Club)
Alexandra
New Zealand
http://www.alexandra.co.nz/
2017 TSi R-Line, full leds, leather, Discovery Pro, adaptive cruise, adaptive chassis etc etc.

#5 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Moderators
  • 2148 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 SEL 2.0 TSI 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:01 AM

Seems like an ongoing issue with the Disco units, I'm sure there will be a tsb or recall soon
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST.

#6 OFFLINE   Corn

Corn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:31 AM

Seems like an ongoing issue with the Disco units, I'm sure there will be a tsb or recall soon

Do you mean that even if I'd bought second hand OE head unit it would most likely have the same issue?

#7 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Moderators
  • 2148 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:48 AM

Always the possibility unfortunately they are an electronic bdevice built by the lowest bidder. With more and more devices being added and modules controlling modules it doesn't take much to have something go wrong. May get a good one may get another iffy one. I've repaired more newer Electronics lately that use lead free solder then pretty much any vintage device. Tons of 2-4 year old samsung TVs all have been bad cold solder joints due to lead free solder. Suck the junk off reflow with good leaded solder and off they go again. Some of it's software glitches as well. I believe a few members have had software updates and reflash done to solve intermittent issues but again it boils down to lowest bidder status. 20+ years ago VWs radios were made by Blauplunkt later even seimens and motorola RNS units had multiple builders. And every generation the cost went up and the quality went down. But as integrated as these units are getting I hate to say it's oem or nothing now and the aftermarket is dying a slow death. Look at cars like honda. It's built into the dash so much now you have to get a custom dash part to even swap a different deck in.

First things first is check with your dealer and see if they can reflash your oem deck and if not ask about any open bulletins and or tsb on them.

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

OEM+ OR BUST.

#8 OFFLINE   Corn

Corn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:46 AM

First things first is check with your dealer and see if they can reflash your oem deck and if not ask about any open bulletins and or tsb on them.

That's what I tried to say that there was open bulletin regarding software issue that it doesn't remember settings and they tried twice to reflash it without success. Update always stopped at around 80%. They said it most likely has some memory issue in that unit. Nobody know what's the real issue. Actually I opened that unit and found cold solder joints which looked like they were cracked. I resoldered them but it seems it didn't have any effect. That was before the second update attempt..

#9 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Moderators
  • 2148 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:12 AM

If I were that dealer and being your Tiguan isn't that old I'd be wanting to find you a new replacement deck. 2 unsuccessful flash attempts resulting in a failure, even out of warranty that's a defect. It's probably a bad Storage/ RAM chip on the main board then. Or if be reaching out to the manufacturer and asking if you could buy or if they would be gracious to send a new main board for it. Lead free solder is going to be the end of quality electronics soon. It basically starts breaking down in a year's time where I've worked on radios from the 1920s with better solder than we have today. It's crazy. I only use 63/37 just. Hair higher on the Tin so it flows a lot better than 60/40. I've got a spool of lead free for only doing LF repairs. I will never use it on restorations sadly. I want the set to last another 100 years.

OEM+ OR BUST.

#10 OFFLINE   Corn

Corn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:39 PM

Hi,

Just wanted to update this saga. I sent the Zenec back reluctantly as I’d be missing the big screen. Received the light fiber jumper after I had sent the unit so that remains unknown whether the front facing camera would have worked with the MOST bus jumped. Well, zenec didn’t support different reverse camera views also and didn’t interact with seat heat so.. Also asked from the dealer whether VW would even partially cover the expenses on new pcb/ controller. Well hard to guess. No, nothing.

Anyways, I found infotainment unit (5F) from salvage yard in Germany and it only cost 140€ through Ebay so I ordered it. However I took a risk as it was newer revision. VAG numbering scheme goes so that that the last letter indicates the revision. My unit was A and what I ordered was B. It had 722 version software when mine had 624. Also hardware version is 710 and original 620. When I talked earlier with the service rep about the possibilities to fix the issue they said new units are coded to the car so they need to be paired by them. That was true, when I installed the unit it said that component protection (CP) is on.

I booked time to dealer for pairing the unit to my car. They said it will take around one hour to two. Didn’t receive text message for some time to be informed that the car is ready so I knew that Mr. Murphy stepped over once again. Soon they called me and said they have bad news. They were not able to code that unit to my car. You can imagine the feeling, I was seriously *ed off. After getting myself together went to dealer to get the car. Fortunately they charged less than what was quoted. I noticed that they had successfully removed the CP, but otherwise unit was not working. They gave me report what went wrong and it said that the automatic parameter update didn’t work because part number is not the same. Also rep said that probably it could be configured manually but they didn’t have instructions nor knowledge how to do it.

That gave me hope that maybe this fight is not lost. As I had OBD11 and backup of parameters I didn’t have anything to lose (than brick all the controllers) and try to configure it by myself. Heck, inputting the parameters manually and calculating the SVM code did the trick! Now one happy camper with working 5F unit which remembers Bluetooth and audio settings etc.

#11 ONLINE   tricky

tricky

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 1718 posts
  • My Tiguan:2015 Match 177 DSG 4M
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::Llandeilo, South Wales

Posted 09 October 2020 - 04:02 PM

Congratulations on getting a working system, and well done for your perseverance.

Richard. OFC ®

2015 Tiguan Match 177ps DSG 4motion, nimbus grey, with loads of goodies, caravanner.

#12 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Moderators
  • 2148 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:17 AM

Persistence and sometimes a bit of faith in ones ability pays off again. Good job glad you got it all working. Why I ended up going with an RNS 510 over an aftermay deck, I like having everything work like factory, I need to reflash mine again as I'm guessing now with the RVC fully operational my occasional boot lag that was remedied before is back. Why I bought the disks.

OEM+ OR BUST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.