Anyone replaced their Shocks & Struts how long did they last? - Page 2 - Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes - myTiguan Forum

Photo

Anyone replaced their Shocks & Struts how long did they last?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stiguan4Motion

Stiguan4Motion

myTiguan Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • My Tiguan:2016 SE 4Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::SoCal

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

Had Bilstein b8 sport on my old passat.... they lasted 150,000 miles when the front passenger started to leak

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Current: 2016 SE 4Motion/ Gen 1 EA888 2.0T (CCTA)/ 6-speed Tiptronic

Mods: APR Stage 1| DDM Ultra 5500K D3S| VCDS Tweaks| Neuspeed intake with AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter| Neuspeed RsE012 18" wheels | DDM interior LEDs

Past: 2008 Passat 2.0T 6MT, 2002 Golf TDI 5MT, 1988.5 Toyota Camry V6 5MT, 1984 Corolla 3AT

VCDS HEX+CAN Located in Orange County, California

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 07:43 AM

#22 OFFLINE   rodoso15

rodoso15

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Wolfsburg 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

Hi everyone. This is my first post and first Tiguan. It's a 2010 Wolfsburg 4 motion. I'm looking to replace the stock springs, struts and shocks. I'm looking at the Vogtland drop springs and kyb excel-g struts/shocks. At a 1.4" drop, will anything outside of a normal alignment be needed?? Also planning to swap the stock 18" (43mm offset) wheels out for 20" (35-38mm offset) with 255/35-20" tires. I'm open to any and all help! Thanks

#23 OFFLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 12200 posts
  • My Tiguan:2018 - 2.0TSI R-Line
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Montreal, Quebec

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:56 PM

Hi everyone. This is my first post and first Tiguan. It's a 2010 Wolfsburg 4 motion. I'm looking to replace the stock springs, struts and shocks. I'm looking at the Vogtland drop springs and kyb excel-g struts/shocks. At a 1.4" drop, will anything outside of a normal alignment be needed?? Also planning to swap the stock 18" (43mm offset) wheels out for 20" (35-38mm offset) with 255/35-20" tires. I'm open to any and all help! Thanks

Welcome to myTiguan.com rodoso15 and thanks for joining our Tiggy Forum. Congrats on your first post and first Tig too. :) I know you have already asked a question, but will leave my standard next paragraph in place FYI.

Forums are a great place to ask questions, but they are also a great source of information. Before asking any of your questions use our search engine to see if any of your questions have already been answered. Our search engine accepts a minimum of 3 characters (Numeric and/or Alphabetic). Best to make sure you are searching "All Forums". If you still can't find anything by all means ask away as we are all here to help and learn.

Just for your info you can edit any of your posts. You cannot however delete a post. You can delete all of the content and then type in “Mods please delete.” Here is a link to one method for adding pics. >>> http://www.mytiguan....do-i-add-a-pic/ .

You can also add your City, Region, State, Province in the freeform field “Additional  Location Information”. Simply edit your profile, insert your info and then save. This area is reserved for further location details only.

Would you care to join us on our Tiggy Map of the World by planting a marker to show how truly global our Tigs are? If you would like to plant a marker for your Tig please see the second link in my Sig on how to add yourself. There are a couple of other links you may want to look at too.

There is another map for those members who are VCDS users. Here is a link to what it is all about >>> http://www.mytiguan....or-map/?p=44359 .

We look forward to your participation and contributions down the road.

Cheers!

Old Dog

Current: 2018 R-Line 4MO in Platinum Grey Metallic with Two Tone Saffrano Orange and Black Interior. Driver Assistance Package (Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Traffic Alert, Lane Assist, Light Assist, Rear Cam with Area View 360 and Remote Start). R-Line Package (19" Trenton Alloys, Heated Steering Wheel, R-Line Door Aluminium Sill Plates and Stainless Steel Pedals). Pics >>> https://www.mytiguan...ew-2018-r-line/ .

Previous: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package. .
Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.
The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Map: https://www.mytiguan...></span></span>
VCDS Members' Locator Map: https://www.zeemaps....=53.883275&z=15

Glossary of Abbreviations: https://www.mytiguan...-abbreviations/

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) post-3541-0-50538200-1530623199.gif Member of the ROFC.

#24 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5613 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:33 PM

1.4" is not a big drop, but you won't know if any extreme measures will need to be taken during an alignment until the car is on the rack. Considering what you plan on spending on tires/rims. I would get an alignment when the suspension is changed and then go back after everything settles and get it done again. The cost of an alignment is far less than new tires.

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

#25 OFFLINE   Lins

Lins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Tiguan Comfortline
  • Additional Location Information::Yellowknife

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:20 PM

Hopefully quoting works for me as I don't see it in the text box as I type this, maybe I don't have enough posts yet. 

I know this is an old thread, but in case anybody else stumbles across it....  I just replaced the struts on our 2010 Tiguan w/ 73,000 kms on it.  They were a bit soft, but have knocked in the cold for a few years now.  Took about 4 hours to do, once everything was gathered up, in the driveway.

In response to bigandy10, I had to use a 5lb hammer to tap it out by hitting the bolt head with the bolt backed out a bit.  I tried a couple dead blow hammers, then a piece of wood with the 5lb hammer, but ultimately had to use the 5lb hammer on its own with a good tap to start breaking the driveshaft free.  Not big swings, it just needed a solid hit to break free of the rust. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users