Which side of the engine mounts go bad faster? - Engines & Transmission - myTiguan Forum

Photo

Which side of the engine mounts go bad faster?

Engine mount transmission mount

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrbtzrg

mrbtzrg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • My Tiguan:Tiguan 2.0 TSI 4Motion, DSG7
  • Where are you located?:Mongolia

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:43 PM

I would like to hear other people’s experiences. Which side of the engine mounts goes bad faster? Is it the engine side or the transmission side?
Mine is 2010 Tiguan, 7speed DSG automatic. I was working on my left side control arm bushings and noticed that the transmission mount was very loose. The rubber is completely broken. Didn’t have a chance to check the engine mount, but it didn’t have any visible tears. So, can I conclude it is just the transmission mount gone bad?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 03:44 PM

#2 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5826 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:00 PM

Typically the dogbone underneath/rear is the one to fail first. Perhaps it failed and then put undue stress on the other ones. 

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

#3 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Moderators
  • 2169 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 SEL 2.0 TSI 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:36 PM

Do remedy this ASAP, if the one has gone bad seriously look at the others. Driving with the mount bad,puts undue stress on other drivedrain components including the prop shaft coupling and that is not a fun job to replace.
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST.

#4 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5826 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:59 PM

And the flexpipe on the exhaust, which is part of the catalytic converter

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

#5 OFFLINE   mrbtzrg

mrbtzrg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:56 AM

Is there anyone who used 034Motorsport Density Line Mounts on VW Tiguan? I am thinking of ordering them because they are on the same price range as OEM. I gave my VIN to the sales rep, but he said he couldn’t confirm that the mounts would fit Tiguan (perhaps for my car has Euro VIN). Strangely enough, their website shows these mounts if you track down by car Make and Model.

However, looking at the OEM Tiguan mounts, the right side engine mount shape is different than the Density Line Mount. Here is the VW Tiguan part number: 5N0199262F

If you take a look at the OEM engine mount, it has an extruding arm on the top which is connected to a frame extension. But Density Line mount doesn't have that extruding arm. Could someone explain if the Density Line Mount will really fit and how to accommodate the differences?

Another question:

Is there any real advantage of having OEM engine mounts over 034 density mounts? Having OEM mounts may benefit car re-sale value and is probably more comfortable to the users. It is said that OEM mounts have fluid cushioning but Density mounts are solid rubber. 034 Density mounts may be more durable than OEM. But could stronger mounts have more damaging effect on the car frame especially on harsh roads? Or does the car frame care about what is holding the engine?

#6 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Moderators
  • 2169 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:10 AM

Tiguan has its own mounts due to it sitting lower in the engine bay in relation to the hood. If you look at the motor side it's got an extra arm on it vs say a Golf or Passat as well. Black Forest Industries used to sell inserts for oem mounts. But be warned density grade mounts will add vibration some times undesirable vibtmration to the chassis. I have an TDI Density HPA dogbone insert in mine and at times the vibration is a bit annoying but solved the motor from slamming when I launch.

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

OEM+ OR BUST.

#7 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Moderators
  • 2169 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:12 AM

Someone a few months ago figured they could modify a set from 034 and it didn't end well. Tiguan is just an odd duck for the modders world. It's such a hybrid of different chassis that finding usable upgrades is almost non existent.

OEM+ OR BUST.

#8 OFFLINE   mrbtzrg

mrbtzrg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:53 AM

Someone a few months ago figured they could modify a set from 034 and it didn't end well. Tiguan is just an odd duck for the modders world. It's such a hybrid of different chassis that finding usable upgrades is almost non existent.

But why the product is showing on their Tiguan parts, if it doesn't fit? According to their advertisement it should fit?
If you go to 
034motorsport.com website and shop by car make/model: >Shop VW >Tiguan >2009-2011 >2.0 TSI. 

Mine is 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TSI 4 Motion, DSG7 Auto.

#9 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Moderators
  • 2169 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:08 AM

It's just whoever built the menus probably based it off the golf platform. ECS tuning was the same for a long time but appears they have cleaned most if it up. I'd go by their sales rep maybe message back and ask them it's listed as fitting but you say otherwise. 034 has been notoriously bad for years. I ordered close to 1500 in parts for my TDI and 90% of it went back, it was either of poor quality or came nowhere near fitting. Golf TDI has slightly different suspension bits vs the GTI. Mostly heavier duty due to engine weight. Sad really 10 years ago 034 was a good company, them as well as integrated engineering and blue water performance all gave slid into the shadows. Like I mentioned check out black forest industries and see if they still have the replacement innards for the oem mounts so you know they will fit.

OEM+ OR BUST.

#10 OFFLINE   mrbtzrg

mrbtzrg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:00 AM

Iggythe Tiggy,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. It helps a lot.
It is getting more obvious to go with OEM engine mounts. I have checked the Black Forest website and didn't find OEM replacement mount innards. 

If you know some portals where they sell reliable OEM quality VW parts, can you tell me? I know there are bunch on Ebay, but it is hard to tell whether I am buying original or immitation products from it. There are some great portals from Europe such as TPS, but I want to buy from USA. 

#11 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Moderators
  • 2169 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:36 AM

Sadly it does appear they have dropped a lot if the parts they used to but you might check and see if this fits. Since I doubt the innards are different just the shells.

https://blackforesti...on-mount-insert

But they don't have an engine side replacement. Just be advised the bolts are stretch bolts and should be replaced as well as retorqued to spec.

I don't know what's available in your country but you might check Rock Auto as well for OES parts. They will be the same as oem just in thier native packaging and unstamped VW. Companies like Moog are good. If you find something and have questions, let us know.

OEM+ OR BUST.

#12 OFFLINE   mrbtzrg

mrbtzrg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:23 PM

IggytheTiggy,
Thank you for guiding me to a good direction in search of engine mounts. I looked up the companies you mentioned. My transmission mount part # is 3C0199555 S. But many US companies offer 3C0199555 R version. These two versions look awfully similar on the photo. I don't know if there is any difference. R version is probably different because US sells 6 speed DSG while mine is of European origin 7 speed DSG. Do you know if I can use the R version which is for USA Tiguan? When I read the car compatibility they show different car models, but in some websites such as Amazon, the laternate product numbers for these two products are mixed.  I am soooo confused.

Found Vaico brand S version. What do you think of Vaico mounts? 

#13 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

My Tiguan Master

• Moderators
  • 2169 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:57 PM

Vaico is an OES supplier so they should be good. Actually stateside we don't get the DSG we get the ASIN built 6 Speed Automatic 09M Transmission. Usually the last letter is just a revision. But give me a bit to cross check and I'll get back to you.

OEM+ OR BUST.

#14 OFFLINE   mrbtzrg

mrbtzrg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:58 PM

I am sorry for not being patient, but I went a head and ordered the 3C0199555R version from US online retailer. I found from a couple of websites that this version is compatible with Tiguan 2.0 5N type auto transmission. So I will just have to hope it will fit. Thanks again for your help. I will update on how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.