Just bought a 2016 Tig 2.0 tsi and engine is loud! - Engines & Transmission - myTiguan Forum

Photo

Just bought a 2016 Tig 2.0 tsi and engine is loud!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tig11

tig11

• PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • My Tiguan:2011 Comfortline fwd
  • Additional Location Information::canada

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:17 AM

I just purchased a 2016 Tig special edition in fantastic condition from VW dealer about 4.5 hours away from home.
This year has been a nightmare re ; our vehicle. Our 2011 was written off by a driver who blew through a red light 2 months ago (posted story/pics) and we subsequently had bought a 2014 to replace. Well, 2,5 weeks ago we had a garage fire that ended up causing the 2014 to catch fire (parked in laneway) and front end /engine etc caused write off number 2.
So, back to today s 2016; relatively low km 76, 000., with some extra s previous tigs didn t have; pushbutton start/nav/back up cam/Discover media head unit etc. When idling and low end accelerating the engine noise is louder than previous 2011 /2014 by far. It s not the direct injection type noise ..it s much more diesel like. I noted this to service manager and he didn t think it was overly noisy. There is over a year of powertrain warranty left so I ve got peace of mind in that sense, but having driven it back home with no issues (good power/smooth shifting etc ,so no driveability issues), I m still concerned about why its louder than my 2011 that had 166,000 km on it.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 09:50 AM

#2 ONLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1421 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 Tiguan SE+ 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:43 AM

Depending where you live, make sure the down pipe from the turbo to the cat actually has a cat convertor. Usually when they are a bit louder maybe someone had it tuned and replaced the DP with a catless race one. Or maybe has a high flow cat installed. You will have to look for VW stamping on the convertor making sure it's OEM. If it is an aftermarket setup, push for replacement back to factory, unless it is tuned then enjoy the power boost.
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST..

Find me on Instagram @IggyTheTiggy

#3 OFFLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 12281 posts
  • My Tiguan:2018 - 2.0TSI R-Line
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Montreal, Quebec

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:54 PM

TBH my 2018 to me sounds like a diesel at times, especially when idling. Noisiest of the 3 Tigs I've had from what my aging memory recalls. You get used to it.

I was sorry to hear/read about the loss of your first Tig. To lose a second Tig as you mention is just gut wrenching. All the very best with your 2016.

Garry

Current: 2018 R-Line 4MO in Platinum Grey Metallic with Two Tone Saffrano Orange and Black Interior. Driver Assistance Package (Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Traffic Alert, Lane Assist, Light Assist, Rear Cam with Area View 360 and Remote Start). R-Line Package (19" Trenton Alloys, Heated Steering Wheel, R-Line Door Aluminium Sill Plates and Stainless Steel Pedals). Pics >>> https://www.mytiguan...ew-2018-r-line/ .

Previous: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package. .
Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.
The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Map: https://www.mytiguan...></span></span>
VCDS Members' Locator Map: https://www.zeemaps....=53.883275&z=15

Glossary of Abbreviations: https://www.mytiguan...-abbreviations/

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) post-3541-0-50538200-1530623199.gif Member of the ROFC.

#4 OFFLINE   tig11

tig11

• PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 12:58 PM

Everything looks original re exhaust .

Thanks Garry, yes its been quite the run of bad luck/catastrophes. Hoping this 2016 is last one for a while with no major issues.

The noise as mentioned is much more audible in vehicle ratherthan outside with hood open. I m reading online that something as simple as changing spark plugs (not done on this one..original plugs) helps to make injection system run more efficiently and possibly quiet down . The shop foreman at dealer mentioned yesterday that the firewall insulation may be different than previous Tigs, so maybe the reason for sound intruding through..I would think that over the years that part would actually be improved if anything.
I m also wondering about valve lifter noise /chain guides worn etc...

#5 OFFLINE   tig11

tig11

• PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 12:32 PM

The more I listen to noise the more I think its a valve lifter thats sticking...

#6 ONLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1421 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 Tiguan SE+ 4 Motion
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 14 March 2020 - 07:58 PM

Just monitor it for now and if you are using Castrol SLX stop at the next oil change. Find the right Liqui Moly for your engine and run it. It stopped my oil consumption and quieted down the valve train. Vws injectors are noisy as heck as well. In the 2.0 Gas motor I'm running

https://products.liq...ae-5w-40-8.html

I was running Synthol Premium, but was advised to use the leichtlauf as it's got more additives for the engine. And like I said my consumption went away totally. On my 2.0 CR140 TDI I ran the Too Tech. On the gas instill change every 5k miles, diesel I did 10k. But what got me was the first oil change inside on my Tiguan when I changed to LM after my Free Services. 5k later the oil was so black I couldn't believe it. LM cleaned all the junk Castol has left in the motor. And that oil change made a huge difference in noise. Now at further 5k intervals the oils been really clean to my amazement. I'm probably over kill doing it this way but it keeps the cam tensioners happy with clean oil and after what I was told my 13 was with and with only 27 payments left, and I am just hitting 70k she's got a lot of life left in it.
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST..

Find me on Instagram @IggyTheTiggy

#7 OFFLINE   tig11

tig11

• PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:09 PM

Thanks,great advice.
My mechanic advised engine flush plus Liqui Moly also .

#8 OFFLINE   tig11

tig11

• PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:30 AM

Did Liqui Moly engine flush and Liqui Moly 5 40 oil change. Engine still has diesel sound inside at idle plus accelerating to approximately 2000 rpm..maybe worse.
It seems to be worse when engine warmed up. Has anybody traced tsi noise to a lifter sticking ?
Finally, has anyone used Liqui Moly hydraulic lifter additive or Rislone engine treatment with any success?

#9 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5644 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:05 PM

I would be very, very hesitant to add anything to the oil that will modify viscosity. Things that are oil dependent like variable valve timing are calibrated to a specific viscosity. As well, too thick an oil will create higher oil pressures when cold that could damage parts. As well, some of these additive only mask the problem and don't resolve it.  

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

#10 OFFLINE   tig11

tig11

• PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:23 PM

Thanks Shawn. I was wondering about possible issues with additives.
My dilemma is that I noted the unusual noise the day I purchased from dealer and shop foreman (vw dealer) stated it sounded normal which I know from owning previous 2011 for 5.5 years plus 2014 for only weeks that it s definitely not normal. Direct injection noise I know well and it never intruded in to interior. This one has very audible diesel clacking noise at idle and while driving.There is still over a year on vw powertrain warranty , but if I keep getting the "normal" response from dealer I m stuck with no resolution. Engine is perfectly fine otherwise. Dealer location is 4.5 hours from home, so practiclity of bringing back there doesn t make sense. There are 4 dealers in town (Ottawa) and the closest one has a tech who has been extremely helpful and knowledgeable re ; previous 2011 when under powertrain warranty. I just hope he hears what I m hearing. My independent garage owner who specializes in VW/Audi has acknowledged/agreed that noise is not normal.

#11 OFFLINE   Stiguan4Motion

Stiguan4Motion

myTiguan Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • My Tiguan:2016 SE 4Motion
  • Additional Location Information::SoCal

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:05 AM

Can you record a video?

Current: 2016 SE 4Motion/ Gen 1 EA888 2.0T (CCTA)/ 6-speed Tiptronic

Mods: APR Stage 1| DDM Ultra 5500K D3S| VCDS Tweaks| Neuspeed intake with AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter| Neuspeed RsE012 18" wheels | DDM interior LEDs

Past: 2008 Passat 2.0T 6MT, 2002 Golf TDI 5MT, 1988.5 Toyota Camry V6 5MT, 1984 Corolla 3AT

VCDS HEX+CAN Located in Orange County, California

#12 OFFLINE   tig11

tig11

• PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:01 PM

There is more info that may or may not be helpful. The day I picked up Tig, after a brief drive around area a check engine light came on by the time I returned to dealer. I mentioned to sales rep who proceeded to request service to check it out. It was determined that a misfire occurred that was traced to old or bad gas from local Shell station. Foreman suggested draining tank /refilling with fresh gas and resetting cel.CEL came back on driving home and finally kicked out next day. Not sure if this situation contributed to noise issue I m experiencing (damaged injector perhaps)?..
Finally, spark plugs are original and I ve read that they can possibily cause issues related to this . I have new plugs that I m installing this weekend so will update, but doubting it will help.

#13 OFFLINE   tig11

tig11

• PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:58 PM

Just had engine noise checked out by probably the best vw dealer tech in Ottawa.
Within 5 seconds of entering Tig and listening to idle with doors closed/windows up he determined noise was indeed not normal. Figured the most probable source was from bottom end of engine. Rod bearing noise most likely . He mentioned that he s seen this on tsi s with irregular oil changes and seen recently on 2010 cc with 170,000km on it.
Now I need to contact original dealer(where bought from) thats closed until next week and see how we can proceed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.