Roy03

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • My Tiguan:Match 4MT in wild cherry
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::West Sussex

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:20 AM

Hi, I am in the process of replacing my tyres, and I can get Michelin Primacy4 XL for the same price as their standard tyre. The questions are (a) do they last longer and (b ) are they noisier? Are there any downsides to fitting XL tyres. The Dunlops that are the original tyre have done over 28,000 miles and are down to 3mm, I know that is still legal, but the amount of rain we've had lately I don't like going much lower on the tread depth. All comments welcome

Roy

Member of the OFC

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 10:46 AM

#2 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5644 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 06 March 2020 - 12:32 PM

Since naming is sometimes different by continent, can I assume XL relates to the load rating? If so, using a tire with an XL load rating typically results in a bit lower wear as the tire can handle more load and won’t get as hot. We have moved a few customers to XL rated tyres with success in that respect.

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

#3 OFFLINE   Rory

Rory

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • My Tiguan:2015 Match 150TDI 4Motion DSG
  • Additional Location Information::Chester

Posted 06 March 2020 - 02:05 PM

...the tire can handle more load and won’t get as hot.

It can only handle more load when it's inflated appropriately.  For any given pressure, XL tyres have a very slightly lower load capacity than standard tyres - I don't know why, but would guess they heat up more.  XL tyres upper pressure range is extended so they can be inflated to higher pressures than standard tyres - then they'll carry more load than standard tyres.

In every day use though, the differences are marginal.  These days I wonder whether the tyres are actually all the same and just marked differently so the customer thinks they're getting the exact spec?  Their Cross Climate All Season tyre is popular in the UK and that's only available as XL.  We had those on a Golf and could determine no difference in comfort / noise etc.

near Chester, UK.

#4 OFFLINE   marchie

marchie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • My Tiguan:150 TDi Match
  • Additional Location Information::Fife, Scotland and Vendee, France

Posted 06 March 2020 - 02:35 PM

If I remember correctly, the Michelin tyres were promoted/advertised as having lower rolling resistance and being better for fuel economy; i think there was also some mention of improved grip. Comments on a Forum I belonged to at the time,some 4years ago, suggested that the claimed improvements were accompanied by quicker/greater tyre wear.

Steve

Steve BOFC, OFC, MOG and barred from most things

#5 ONLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 Tiguan SE+ 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:09 PM

I wonder how similar they are to the Primacy MXM4 we have here stateside. Was not a fan of them on my Jetta. Noisy, harsh ride as they were standard load, but 3 ply sidewall. Fuel economy did go up a bit. The Continental DWS or the SRS I have on Tiggy now are 2 ply Extended. I run 38-39 psi so I'm right at 42 PSI Hot. It's a bit rough but no where as bad as those Primacy MXM4s were.

It's definitely a better option than the Conti Cross Climate. You might also see if the Defender LTX M/S (formerly just LTX M/S 2) is available. Great tire, great milage 60k warranty my old man got 70 out of a set, he only out new on due to age, they probably could of gone 80k or more. Of I can't find what I like in a Continental o definitely go with Michelin tire.

I am glad I did not go with the Geolander AT G015. Buddy that bought a Tiguan after riding with me 300+ miles. Put a set on his 15 Wolfsburg with 17" wheels. Said they are the worst tire in the snow, and hydroplane like mad in the wet. He bought my old set of stock wheels, and put the same tire I have on, only available at discount tire though the Conti Control Contact Sport SRS. Even in 18" of snow I was fine and are a super quiet tire pounding the freeway all day.
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST..

Find me on Instagram @IggyTheTiggy

#6 OFFLINE   Stiguan4Motion

Stiguan4Motion

myTiguan Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • My Tiguan:2016 SE 4Motion
  • Additional Location Information::SoCal

Posted 08 March 2020 - 06:54 PM

I wonder how similar they are to the Primacy MXM4 we have here stateside. Was not a fan of them on my Jetta. Noisy, harsh ride as they were standard load, but 3 ply sidewall. Fuel economy did go up a bit. The Continental DWS or the SRS I have on Tiggy now are 2 ply Extended. I run 38-39 psi so I'm right at 42 PSI Hot. It's a bit rough but no where as bad as those Primacy MXM4s were.

It's definitely a better option than the Conti Cross Climate. You might also see if the Defender LTX M/S (formerly just LTX M/S 2) is available. Great tire, great milage 60k warranty my old man got 70 out of a set, he only out new on due to age, they probably could of gone 80k or more. Of I can't find what I like in a Continental o definitely go with Michelin tire.

I am glad I did not go with the Geolander AT G015. Buddy that bought a Tiguan after riding with me 300+ miles. Put a set on his 15 Wolfsburg with 17" wheels. Said they are the worst tire in the snow, and hydroplane like mad in the wet. He bought my old set of stock wheels, and put the same tire I have on, only available at discount tire though the Conti Control Contact Sport SRS. Even in 18" of snow I was fine and are a super quiet tire pounding the freeway all day.

They are not similar

The primacy 4 is a summer tire.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Current: 2016 SE 4Motion/ Gen 1 EA888 2.0T (CCTA)/ 6-speed Tiptronic

Mods: APR Stage 1| DDM Ultra 5500K D3S| VCDS Tweaks| Neuspeed intake with AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter| Neuspeed RsE012 18" wheels | DDM interior LEDs

Past: 2008 Passat 2.0T 6MT, 2002 Golf TDI 5MT, 1988.5 Toyota Camry V6 5MT, 1984 Corolla 3AT

VCDS HEX+CAN Located in Orange County, California

#7 OFFLINE   Stiguan4Motion

Stiguan4Motion

myTiguan Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • My Tiguan:2016 SE 4Motion
  • Additional Location Information::SoCal

Posted 08 March 2020 - 08:34 PM

Hi, I am in the process of replacing my tyres, and I can get Michelin Primacy4 XL for the same price as their standard tyre. The questions are (a) do they last longer and (b ) are they noisier? Are there any downsides to fitting XL tyres. The Dunlops that are the original tyre have done over 28,000 miles and are down to 3mm, I know that is still legal, but the amount of rain we've had lately I don't like going much lower on the tread depth. All comments welcome

Roy

XL just means you can pressure them up higher compared to standard load

https://www.tirerack...e.jsp?techid=55

Treadwear, noise, etc that's dependent on the tire itself.

Current: 2016 SE 4Motion/ Gen 1 EA888 2.0T (CCTA)/ 6-speed Tiptronic

Mods: APR Stage 1| DDM Ultra 5500K D3S| VCDS Tweaks| Neuspeed intake with AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter| Neuspeed RsE012 18" wheels | DDM interior LEDs

Past: 2008 Passat 2.0T 6MT, 2002 Golf TDI 5MT, 1988.5 Toyota Camry V6 5MT, 1984 Corolla 3AT

VCDS HEX+CAN Located in Orange County, California

#8 OFFLINE   Roy03

Roy03

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • My Tiguan:Match 4MT in wild cherry
  • Additional Location Information::West Sussex

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:32 AM

Well I've ordered my tyres after a lot of consideration, 4 Michelin Primacy 4 235/55xR17 Y (103 ), £118.53 each fitted. I don't think that's a bad price for Michelin tyres. The original Dunlops have done over 28,000 mls, so I can't complain. It'll be interesting to compare noise from the tyres, but the surface of our roads at the moment,I won't be able to make a fair evaluation.

Roy

Member of the OFC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.