#1 OFFLINE   NTO

NTO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • My Tiguan:2016 150 BMT 4M Tech Edition
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom

Posted 01 March 2020 - 04:32 PM

Tig as in signature just passed 30k miles. Was driving along strong smell of brake pads.

Eerror messages on dash "Error Message - Parking Brake refer to Owners Manual" and "Oil temp sensor - Workshop". Start/Stop will no longer switch off. Electronic Parking brake still working.

Got a friend to read error codes (not VCDS) - came up with if I remember correctly 02844 Bulb for Automatic Parking Function failure. Replaced EPB/autohold switch with a new one and tried to clear codes - no luck same error. Didn't get code for oil temp sensor. Is this likely to be the sensor in the sump?

Had a search on internet using chassis number - as far I as am aware not included in recall a couple of years back for autohold softare patch.

Has anyone had any experience of Autohold issues - how they were resolved. Is this likely to be an electrical or component issue?

NTO

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 10:50 AM

#2 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5644 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 01 March 2020 - 07:53 PM

I recently let my rear pads get too low and the parking brake started complaining and refused to work. New pads and rotors solved that problem. If you can smell the brakes, chances are you have a more serious problem that needs to be addressed. i bet once corrected, the parking brake will function again. As for the rest of your post, I am afraid your description is a bit confusing.

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

#3 OFFLINE   iangaryprice

iangaryprice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • My Tiguan:Tiguan 2.0Tdi SE 4-motion

Posted 01 March 2020 - 08:59 PM

If you had strong smell fo brakes while driving along - you could have a siezed calliper. Quite common this time of year with lots of salt on the roads.

First thing to do is determine which wheel is affected, which one is getting hot?

Do not try touching/feeling the wheels/hubs/brakes - you could get burnt.

You could try spitting on them (or splash a small amount of water) - a hot one will hiss.

I have an infra red thermometer that I used when I had burning brakes smell, quickly diagnosed a sticking front calliper.

The rears use a servo motor to actuate the hand brake / hill hold, it could also be one of these that is a fault.

#4 OFFLINE   NTO

NTO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:49 PM

Thanks for the replies - apologies if the description has caused confusion.

Just to confimr the brake pads are not worn - the Tig has just passed the UKs MOT with no issues noted. The brakes are not seized.

The autohold seems to have activated when driving and then released but upon release no longer works.

#5 ONLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 Tiguan SE+ 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:11 AM

Find someone with a scan tool will say what's wrong may just need clearing. If you weren't across the pond I'd toss you a brand new OEM German brake switch with auto hold. One option I wanted to add to my 13 but it would require a different ABS module. And a ton of wiring
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST..

Find me on Instagram @IggyTheTiggy

#6 OFFLINE   NTO

NTO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for the offer, but have already tried a new switch and clearing the codes - autohold still not working.

A local garage weren't able to fix the issue but found that the outlet coolant temperature even at cold was reading 2200 degrees centigrade on their scanner.

Have now been advised to go to a VW dealer.

#7 OFFLINE   tiguan326

tiguan326

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • My Tiguan:Tiguan 2.0TDI Match 4Motion
  • Additional Location Information::Durham

Posted 08 March 2020 - 08:10 PM

A lot of the systems, so EPB, ABS, ESP etc rely on the in-hub ABS sensors on each wheel so if one or more are bad it will deactivate the systems...... It may be that which has melted rather than brake pad smell?

#8 OFFLINE   NTO

NTO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:13 PM

Thanks tiguan326 for this info.

I will find out shortly as the Tig is booked into A VW dealer on Friday of this week.

I will report back when fixed (hopefully).

#9 OFFLINE   tiguan326

tiguan326

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • My Tiguan:Tiguan 2.0TDI Match 4Motion
  • Additional Location Information::Durham

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:30 PM

Thanks tiguan326 for this info.

I will find out shortly as the Tig is booked into A VW dealer on Friday of this week.

I will report back when fixed (hopefully).

No probs. Have you got the Mk1 Facelift?.... My Mk1 is on a 15 plate. If its manual checkout the thread on gearbox oil change 6sp manual. I've literally just had it done and the difference in gear change, smooth running etc is immense!.... its sooo smooth.

#10 OFFLINE   NTO

NTO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:26 PM

Yes 5n - Mk1 facelift - 16 plate but 7 speed DSG

#11 OFFLINE   Shaunyc

Shaunyc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 R line 170

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:55 PM

Sorry to jump in but I'm sure it makes more sense to join something similar rather than start another thread.....
I belive I am having similar sort of problem with my tiggy... 59plate, tdi, 4 motion....
Was on the motorway the other day and I kept feeling a little loss of power only for a split second, the kind where you think was that the car or the road maybe even wind.... But half hour later pulling off from some traffic lights all my lights flashed up orange with same msg "handbrake failure go to handbook" etc
Soon as I had chance plugged my scanner in and loads of codes was found....
01316-brake control module
00003-control module
16353-control module
00625-speed signal
00283-front left abs wheel speed sensor..
Obvs my 1st thought was brake control module.... But didn't get why abs fault there and the loss of power??
Could it be as simple as abs sensor sending everything to whack?

#12 OFFLINE   Shaunyc

Shaunyc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 R line 170

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:55 PM

NTO..... Did you get any results from VW?

#13 OFFLINE   NTO

NTO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 11:51 PM

Spoke to the dealer.

Was very surprised to hear that it was an oxygen sensor that had shorted out taking out some of the wiring!

Not at all what I had expected. In hindsight I had noticed the Tig was slighlty down on mpg - but did not associate this with an engine issue - thought it had gone to default settings because of the "issue" with the autohold.

I also got two recalls sorted - one for airbags and one for the central locking which I was unaware of as I hadn't used main dealer for servicing.

Have not picked up Tig yet but when I do if I get more detailed info re original issue will provide a further update.

You live and learn.

#14 OFFLINE   NTO

NTO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:02 PM

Further update.

Have now got Tig back from dealer. The problem was not the Autohold or an oxygen sensor which I was initially informed.

The problem was the "air quality sensor" for the climate control Part No. 5K0907659 which had shorted melting its attached plug and blowing its associated fuse. The sensor reads passenger cabin air temperature Apparently this fuse also is responsible for the autohold function!

Lesson learned - it is not always the obvious conclusion when something doesn't work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.