masster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • My Tiguan:2015 R-Line 1.4 TSI 90kW
  • Where are you located?:Romania

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:58 AM

Hi

Has anyone tried a DIY method for repairing the rock chips on the bonnet of the car ?

If yes, how would you rate the job in terms of visuals and reliability (1 to 10) ? I mean how close to perfection and if the repair lasted ?

Here is a rock chip sample on my car.

xeCU2dt.jpg

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 07:02 PM

#2 OFFLINE   jayro

jayro

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 SE 140 4Motion DSG
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:27 AM

There is a company here in the UK (also a sponser on here with a discount) called chipex who make it fairly easy to do a job depending on you own skill i would say you can achieve around 8/9 out of 10
https://www.chipex.co.uk/

#3 OFFLINE   masster

masster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:09 PM

Thank you. Not only that I don't have access to their products, but they are insanely expensive... £34.95 for 12 paint chips  :roll: 

#4 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5348 posts
  • My Tiguan:2017 TSi R-Line (3rd Tiguan)
  • Where are you located?:New Zealand
  • Additional Location Information::Alexandra, Central Otago

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:46 PM

Sounds cheap to me, it would cost hundreds to get a “nose job” done in a spray shop here !!
Derek

OFC member (Old Farts Club)
3xTC member (3 times Tiguan Club)
Alexandra
New Zealand
http://www.alexandra.co.nz/
2017 TSi R-Line, full leds, leather, Discovery Pro, adaptive cruise, adaptive chassis etc etc.

#5 OFFLINE   masster

masster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:08 PM

Well, yeah, but your comparison is not fair at all. Throwing the worst case scenario has nothing to do with the price of 20 ml of touch up paint, 30 ml of spreading solution and swabs...

Now back on topic. Any other personal experience with touch up paint?

#6 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 Tiguan SE+ 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:19 AM

We just painted the hood, and front bumper of a older Malibu. Lots of chips and road wear. $3500. Paints not cheap anymore. I'm looking at $1500 to reshoot the rear passenger door to repair the ding from another door. Thankfully these new paints blending even with metallics.
Is hardly ever needed. They match the current paint. I did the rear quarter and bumper when I got hit 2 years ago and was thankful insurance paid it. Getting ships done requires patients carefully cleaning the chip, using a filler primer to raise the level a bit and a few layers of paint usually done with airbrush. Then clear coat. Then cut and polish they disappear. Chip repairs start at $499 for entire vehicle. Paintless dent repairs start at $200. It's just crazy.

Full resprays, been working on an 83 Porsche 911 SC finally onto the reassembly process. Over $20k so far. But that was total respray, body work, total removal of hood, glass, skirts, bumpers etc.

Paint is just stupid expensive to do right. If it's just a few minor chips order the bar and clear kit from your dealer on your paint color. $50 for in marched paint and do it yourself. Being a solid color it's far easier to match, unless a metallic like I have. Night blue metallic. So much metallic in it it's hard to make a chip repair not a blind spot.

If I keep mine next winter as payment for helping out I'm hoping I can do a quick repair and respray of mine.
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST..

Find me on Instagram @IggyTheTiggy

#7 OFFLINE   mike2020

mike2020

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 103TDI Pacific
  • Where are you located?:Australia
  • Additional Location Information::Tasmania

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:21 PM

There was a thread some time (years?) ago detailing how to fix paint chips. If I remember correctly, the cost was minimal but the time/coats required was extensive.

2013 Tiguan 103TDI 4-Motion Pacific. Wild Cherry Red. DSG. Tow bar. Body mouldings. Bonnet and headlight protectors. Glorious Russian bonnet gas strut lifts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users