• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5452 posts
  • My Tiguan:2017 TSi R-Line (3rd Tiguan)
  • Where are you located?:New Zealand
  • Additional Location Information::Alexandra, Central Otago

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:34 PM

My wife and I are both basically retired now (I work from home and still do a little bit of Architectural design work) and have been talking for some time about what we’d like to do together (keep your mind on outdoor activities lol) and we finally decided to get eBikes and get out and about on some of the many bike trails around our area. A bit like when buying the Tig we decided to “do it right” and have just ordered two Trek FS 5 2 full suspension mountain/eBikes and a rear rack that fits the 50mm receiver on the Tig. It’ll be a week or more before they’re here and ready to roll but we’re really looking forward to it. We were both totally blown away with our trial rides, they’re as much like the old Raleigh 20 as the Tig is to a Morris 1000. Anyhoo, just wondered if anybody else had ventured along this track ? Here’s a link to the one we decided on, Missus is getting a S “purple flip” and mine is a M/L in “matte anthracite”.

https://www.trekbike...s-5-g2/p/29587/
Derek

OFC member (Old Farts Club)
3xTC member (3 times Tiguan Club)
Alexandra
New Zealand
http://www.alexandra.co.nz/
2017 TSi R-Line, full leds, leather, Discovery Pro, adaptive cruise, adaptive chassis etc etc.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 11:57 PM

#2 ONLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5723 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:05 AM

I got real excited until I saw the price, HOLY HANNA!!!! But in reality, they make an excellent bike. Ottawa has many trails to drive on and while old knees can't do a regular bike, this would be perfect. We also have a lot of bike friendly roads with dedicated bike lanes. There are some grey areas where they might not be allowed. Helmets are mandatory and you must be over 16. 

And for the Dog, who is bound to look it up, here is the Canadian link: https://www.trekbike...?colorCode=grey

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

#3 OFFLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 12536 posts
  • My Tiguan:2018 - 2.0TSI R-Line
  • Additional Location Information::Montreal, Quebec

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:36 AM

Here is what the Dog used for a number of years with the Wuffy, a mountain tandem bike. :) Pure people powered. ;)

Attached File  Tandem Bicycle 001 - Full Length.jpg   71.39KB   2 downloads

Current: 2018 R-Line 4MO in Platinum Grey Metallic with Two Tone Saffrano Orange and Black Interior. Driver Assistance Package (Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Traffic Alert, Lane Assist, Light Assist, Rear Cam with Area View 360 and Remote Start). R-Line Package (19" Trenton Alloys, Heated Steering Wheel, R-Line Door Aluminium Sill Plates and Stainless Steel Pedals). Pics >>> https://www.mytiguan...ew-2018-r-line/ .

Previous: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package. .
Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.
The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Map: https://www.mytiguan...></span></span>
VCDS Members' Locator Map: https://www.zeemaps....=53.883275&z=15

Glossary of Abbreviations: https://www.mytiguan...-abbreviations/

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) post-3541-0-50538200-1530623199.gif Member of the ROFC.

#4 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5452 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:58 AM

Give you a race mate lol !!! Yes the price is high (remember it’s Kiwi dollars so less in most places in the World) but that’s only just above the cheapest full suspension eBike you can get here (there are some cheapos around $5500 but nothing like the quality or sophistication). The Trek has Bosch electronics, dropper seat post (like an office chair with control on the handlebars), upshift and downshift (10 speed on the rear so no front derailleur) thumb levers (like mini paddle shift), multiple modes on the motor and effectively a trip computer, hydraulic disc brakes front and rear and so the list goes on. A bit mad I know but even all up for both of us it’s half the price of a basic caravan and quarter of a basic camper van and I’m sure we’ll get the use out of them. We live in mountain bike heaven fortunately.
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand
2017 TSi R-Line, full leds, leather, Discovery Pro, adaptive cruise, adaptive chassis etc etc.

#5 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5452 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:01 AM

Strange, I put an answer in here and it disappeared a few minutes later !! ..... rewrote my answer and bingo it reappeared above lol !!!
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#6 OFFLINE   tricky

tricky

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 1641 posts
  • My Tiguan:2015 Match 177 DSG 4M
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::Llandeilo, South Wales

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:52 AM

NZTIGUAN, i can quite see why they're that price given how ruggedised they are.  I'd thought of getting an ebike when we moved to Wales, but certainly around where I am there are no trails like that so it's just roads, and the way the locals hare around the roads in their souped up tractors scares me so much i've backed off from the idea for now

Enjoy your outdoors with those beasts.

Richard. OFC ®

2015 Tiguan Match 177ps DSG 4motion, nimbus grey, with loads of goodies, caravanner.

#7 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5452 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:57 AM

Thanks Tricky. They certainly are solid and far more capable than us !! Some of the trails they use them on would scare me on foot lol !!
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#8 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4498 posts
  • My Tiguan:Mk2 SEL DSG 2.0 TSI in Black
  • Additional Location Information::N W Kent the Garden of England

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:35 PM

I’d want one built like a hummer to ride around London lol having said that my 73 year old neighbor and his girlfriend go down to the south coast just to do a thirty mile plus rides most weekends on their carbon framed mountain bikes.

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
N.W. Kent England2018 Tiguan Mk2 2.0 TSI DSG SEL deep black pearl, Slash cut exhaust tips, chrome Mirror covers, front wing embellishes, Stainless tail gate trim. 2010 Black 2.0 TDI DSG, 4Motion, Match P/X'd2010 Black EOS SE 140 TDI DSG<p> Member of the OFC

#9 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5452 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:25 PM

Some of the exotic gear with carbon frames and all the bells and whistles can cost double and even triple what we paid. Even some of the bare bikes (non-electric) are well over $10k !! In the end I guess you make your choices and pay your money !!
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#10 ONLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5723 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:13 PM

I think you made a wise choice. This is what it costs. Enjoy in the best of health.

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

#11 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5452 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:44 AM

Thanks Shawn, I’ve already paid my accident insurance and will have the ambulance and medivac chopper on standby lol.
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#12 OFFLINE   Stiguan4Motion

Stiguan4Motion

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • My Tiguan:2016 SE 4Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::SoCal

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:43 AM

Are you hitting technical trails to justify the cost and complexity of a full suspension mountain bike?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Current: 2016 SE 4Motion/ Gen 1 EA888 2.0T (CCTA)/ 6-speed Tiptronic

Mods: APR Stage 1| DDM Ultra 5500K D3S| VCDS Tweaks| Neuspeed intake with AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter| Neuspeed RsE012 18" wheels | DDM interior LEDs

Past: 2008 Passat 2.0T 6MT, 2002 Golf TDI 5MT, 1988.5 Toyota Camry V6 5MT, 1984 Corolla 3AT

VCDS HEX+CAN Located in Orange County, California

#13 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5452 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:58 AM

Not initially, the main justification for dual suspension is old age and a fragile back. After two back surgeries I’m not taking any chances and my Missus has a bony bum and don’t want to be left out on the suspension stakes !!
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#14 OFFLINE   Stiguan4Motion

Stiguan4Motion

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • My Tiguan:2016 SE 4Motion
  • Additional Location Information::SoCal

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:28 AM

Hopefully you don't injure your back lifting the bikes to put it on the rack.

M - 23.88 kg / 52.65 lbs (with tubes), that would break my back, even just putting it on a hitch rack.

For the missus, get her some good shorts that have a good chamois.   Even if it's road biking shorts, she can still wear regular shorts on top of it.

Current: 2016 SE 4Motion/ Gen 1 EA888 2.0T (CCTA)/ 6-speed Tiptronic

Mods: APR Stage 1| DDM Ultra 5500K D3S| VCDS Tweaks| Neuspeed intake with AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter| Neuspeed RsE012 18" wheels | DDM interior LEDs

Past: 2008 Passat 2.0T 6MT, 2002 Golf TDI 5MT, 1988.5 Toyota Camry V6 5MT, 1984 Corolla 3AT

VCDS HEX+CAN Located in Orange County, California

#15 OFFLINE   n4s

n4s

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • My Tiguan:Sport TDI auto 2009
  • Where are you located?:Portugal

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:38 AM

I have a city ebike to go to work, since one year.
Also have a carbon full suspension to admire in the garage 🤣

#16 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5452 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:06 AM

We’re getting a ramp for the rack and these bikes have a “walk mode” which you can use to get them onto the rack as well as walk up or down steep hills. We’ve tried to think of it all. Some of the shorts and their padding they have available are amazing but hilarious to look at !! I’ve got a pretty soft saddle designed for old farts and the wife has one specifically designed for women. I’m sure we’ll find we need more of some things and less of others. Good to be learning at our age !!
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#17 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1740 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 Tiguan SE+ 4 Motion
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:50 AM

This is as close to an E bike I'll get. It's a Harl-Eee..lol I even just put my fat boy, big butt Mustang saddle on it. Why push when you can just twist... Lol. Hey I get 55 MPG with it. Attached File  IMG_20200124_173539.jpg   159.29KB   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20200124_173546.jpg   145.31KB   2 downloads
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST..

Find me on Instagram @IggyTheTiggy

#18 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4498 posts
  • My Tiguan:Mk2 SEL DSG 2.0 TSI in Black
  • Additional Location Information::N W Kent the Garden of England

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:27 AM

That looks nice and comfy and the mpg is good, I used to get cramp from riding in jockeys position for the first few miles and my mpg was 25 minutes on a tank full on the way to Assen, bike was a Yamaha Thunderace lol

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
N.W. Kent England2018 Tiguan Mk2 2.0 TSI DSG SEL deep black pearl, Slash cut exhaust tips, chrome Mirror covers, front wing embellishes, Stainless tail gate trim. 2010 Black 2.0 TDI DSG, 4Motion, Match P/X'd2010 Black EOS SE 140 TDI DSG<p> Member of the OFC

#19 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1740 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 Tiguan SE+ 4 Motion
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:09 AM

Went for about a 50 mile ride before the next storm hit. Loving the new seat. Now I think I can last more than 50 Miles. Did 50 today no problem.
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST..

Find me on Instagram @IggyTheTiggy

#20 OFFLINE   mike2020

mike2020

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 103TDI Pacific
  • Where are you located?:Australia
  • Additional Location Information::Tasmania

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:18 PM

Good luck with the new project, Derek - enough adventure to stir the adrenaline without excessive cost or risk. We're in the same retirement dilemma - grey-nomading in all its combinations can be pricey so wondering which new project to adopt. Harness-racing using our Wiltshire Horn sheep could be the next one. ;-)

2013 Tiguan 103TDI 4-Motion Pacific. Wild Cherry Red. DSG. Tow bar. Body mouldings. Bonnet and headlight protectors. Glorious Russian bonnet gas strut lifts.

Currently, undergoing internship to become a member of the OFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.