1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TommyBoy0329

TommyBoy0329

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • My Tiguan:2011 Tiguan S
  • Where are you located?:United States

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:49 PM

Purchased a used 2011 Tiguan S a couple months back (right before Thanksgiving).

The car was in great shape, looked like it was driven off the showroom floor yesterday except for some exterior wear and tear, but for a 9 year old car it didn't concern me any after all it gives me something to tinker with down the road. This is my first VW and so far, its a beauty!

-----

Unfortunately about 2 weeks ago, I noticed a small puddle (just a couple drops) under the engine and got concerned really quickly, it was pinkish-orange in color with a sweet smell to it and had me freaking out that it was leaking transmission fluid (I can do a lot of home repairs, but I am not going to try and replace that pan and seal gasket, especially on a VW which I am not familiar with).

I took the car to the nearest VW dealer last Thursday and they said I had a coolant flange leak and they wanted to do a complete flush and replace the flange for $375. I did a quick search and the flange itself is only $30 (I paid $32 with taxes from the parts dept at that same dealership) and removal/replacement seems pretty straight forward according to the internet (it must be true if its on the internet, right??). I am trying to save some money right now and its a relatively simple mechanical fix that I am positive I can do myself. All manufacturer and used dealership warranties are expired, so I really have nothing to lose by doing this repair at home.

I don't plan on doing a full OFFICIAL flush of the coolant at this point, as I just moved back to the US from overseas and I don't have the finances to buy all the special equipment to pressurize the system, etc (again why I am doing this repair myself). 

Again did a little research and it seems pretty straight forward...

- Replace coolant flange.

- Fill the coolant reservoir with 50/50 G12/Distilled water (until the bubbling stops, which is a good indicator that most of the air is out of the system.)

- Run the engine for 5-10 minutes with the cap off and let the coolant circulate through the engine.

- Once any residual bubbling stops and the coolant level stops dropping, fill the reservoir to the MAX line and cap.

Please let me know if I am crazy or not, but I think I can do this.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 07:52 AM

#2 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5574 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:16 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track. There is no need to purchase special tools to change the coolant. The coolant system is fairly well designed and there is little chance of getting air trapped

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users