2012 VW Tiguan intermittent hesitation/misfire on cruise and deceleration - Engines & Transmission - myTiguan Forum

Photo

2012 VW Tiguan intermittent hesitation/misfire on cruise and deceleration

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Godfrey

Godfrey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • My Tiguan:2012 and 2015 2.0 TDIs
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::Keith

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:28 PM

Hi, I'm new here and wondered if anyone's come accross this fault before?

I have an issue with our older unmodified 4 motion 140 BHP 2.0 litre TDI Tiguan. The car has 63,000 miles. It accelerates fine, but when up to temperature occasionally misfires or hesitates while steadily cruising with foot on the accelerator pedal. It also does it while using cruise control, and sometimes even on deceleration, but not every time. A misfire happens perhaps once every 5 or 6 miles of motorway travel. I do realise an intermittent fault like this with no fault lights may be difficult to diagnose, and had the misfire been either on acceleration or load it would be more common and easier to find.

I'm pretty good with a spanner, but pretty hopeless on electronics, and suspect this might be the latter fault. A fault on the fly by wire accelerator?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 07:45 PM

#2 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5574 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:06 PM

If there are no fault codes, then it might be a case where you have to drive it and have a friend monitor live data with VCDS. 

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

#3 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 Tiguan SE+ 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:52 AM

Monitor fuel rail pressure. Mine would act up when it was time for a new fuel filter. Possibly air in the fuel sysyem too. But I had the standard filter and the bypass HPFP CAT filter mod to protect the fuel system if the HPFP failed. I was tuned to 177hp/340tq so o had extra strain on the fuel system.
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST..

Find me on Instagram @IggyTheTiggy

#4 OFFLINE   Godfrey

Godfrey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I recently bought this car from a local dealer, so it is going back to him for a look see this Friday. Because it is under his warranty I won't be poking around before he has a chance to rectify the fault. But monitoring both the live data and the fuel rail pressure are both good calls.

I should have mentioned that the accelerator pedal seems to have a bit of a dead spot compared to the wife's later 2015 R Line 150 hp Tiguan. So perhaps it is a fuel pressure issue. Am I right in thinking the accelerator pedal operates by signal rather than a cable, and, that it's unlikely to be a fault at the pedal?

Would you recommend the  iCarsoft VAWS V2 FOR VW & VAG Cars Airbag Abs Engine DPF Diagnostic Tool UK, or are there better options? I have the equivalent tools for an older Porsche and Mercedes and find them excellent, although the Mercedes tool gives more information and reset ability than the Porsche tool allows. I'll be needing something, as with two of these cars and an old Audi that needs doing up, I think it's warranted. 

#5 OFFLINE   tricky

tricky

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 1417 posts
  • My Tiguan:2015 Match 177 DSG 4M
  • Additional Location Information::Llandeilo, South Wales

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:37 PM

Re accelerator, yes these are drive by wire. Any flat spots i would think would be down to the mapping. How does it perform in sport? I believe this has a different throttle response. 

For diagnostics, if you cant/don't want to pay for full VCDS, I'd suggest ODB11. It displays the errors fully and can also clear them. Does quite a lot of VCDS. 

Richard. OFC ®

2015 Tiguan Match 177ps DSG 4motion, nimbus grey, with loads of goodies, caravanner.

#6 OFFLINE   Godfrey

Godfrey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

Re accelerator, yes these are drive by wire. Any flat spots i would think would be down to the mapping. How does it perform in sport? I believe this has a different throttle response. 

For diagnostics, if you cant/don't want to pay for full VCDS, I'd suggest ODB11. It displays the errors fully and can also clear them. Does quite a lot of VCDS. 

I probably haven't tried all the buttons, but don't think either of our Tiguans have a sport button. Perhaps I've missed it ;-)

I do have a couple of generic ODB11 scanners which are handy, but I like the ICarSoft make specific scanners as they give me a great deal more info (than the cheaper scanners) as well as being able to clear faults once the problem is addressed. For instance the ICarSoft reader will tell me whether it's the impulse ring or the wheel speed sensor on the back of my E Class, whereas the the cheaper scanners merely indicate that there's an issue with wheel speed, and one even tells you the incorrect side that's affected. I have no laptop so the VCDS lead (which in itself isn't much dearer than ICarSoft) isn't much use to me unless I was to put out the extra for the compatible Windows setup. 

I've actually just ordered another ICarSoft scanner for VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda as I note it does live scans. It'll be handy for the parking brake and all the other stuff too. https://www.ebay.co....4.c100667.m2042

I'll report back once the dealer has checked out the issue.

#7 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5333 posts
  • My Tiguan:2017 TSi R-Line (3rd Tiguan)
  • Where are you located?:New Zealand
  • Additional Location Information::Alexandra, Central Otago

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:35 PM

If either is auto then Sport mode is on the gear shift one click below D. In my MkII it’s a spring loaded click, with click again for going back to D, you’ll see it’s in S rather than D on the gear number display on the dash. So it reads S1 etc rather than the usual D1 etc. MkII R-Line also has Sports settings that can be changed in the driver set-up as well.
Derek

OFC member (Old Farts Club)
3xTC member (3 times Tiguan Club)
Alexandra
New Zealand
http://www.alexandra.co.nz/
2017 TSi R-Line, full leds, leather, Discovery Pro, adaptive cruise, adaptive chassis etc etc.

#8 OFFLINE   tricky

tricky

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 1417 posts
  • My Tiguan:2015 Match 177 DSG 4M
  • Additional Location Information::Llandeilo, South Wales

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:14 AM

Yea, sorry that's what I was thinking, I assumed automatic, don't know why (possibly because mine is). 

Re ODB11, that's a make, not a generic ODB scanner (https://obdeleven.com/en/) does almost all VCDS does including long coding and full error information, it requires an android device not Windows, can be a phone or a tablet which I use. That's fine though, use what you're most familiar with. 

Richard. OFC ®

2015 Tiguan Match 177ps DSG 4motion, nimbus grey, with loads of goodies, caravanner.

#9 OFFLINE   Godfrey

Godfrey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:49 AM

Thanks again guys. 

Both Tiguan cars have manual gearboxes, although I do have an Audi with the DSG which I love.

I ordered my third ICarsoft scanner yesterday (for VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda) and it arrived in the north of Scotland today. I went this way because I'm familiar with the format and like how intuitive they are for a non tech person. I've just run a scan (without deleting the fault code) and it looks like Iggythe Tiggy gets the prize: 

"Fuel Rail / System pressure - too low"  So, although the dealer said he did a full service including things like the Haldex (which impressed me at the time), I'm not sure the fuel filter got changed or whether this is a more serious and expensive repair required, but if it was merely a clogged filter I'd also expect hesitation on acceleration/load. 

I'll see what they say tomorrow.

#10 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 Tiguan SE+ 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:51 AM

Don't rule out the HPFP going out. They can and will detonate. Sending shrapnel into the return fuel line. Why I went with the bypass filter system. Still uses the stick inlet filter but sends the return fuel thru a mesh screen filter (off D6 cat). If interested I can find that setup. Easy to install and is a safeguard on HPFP failure.
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST..

Find me on Instagram @IggyTheTiggy

#11 OFFLINE   Godfrey

Godfrey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 11:14 AM

Yesterday I dropped off the car to the independent dealer who I bought it from a month or so ago, so he had the chance of diagnosing the fault. I didn't mention that I'd scanned the issue prior to taking it there, but did give him detail on how and when the problem shows up. On collection they admitted that their scanner had shown up a fuelling fault (without actually saying the fuel pressure was too low) but that they'd put in some injector cleaner and to only use the best diesel on next refill to see if that would clear the problem. They suspected a bad batch of diesel might be the problem although I mentioned we run three other diesels that are filled at the same pumps and haven't shown any issues.To be fair he said to bring it back if the problem persisted and they would run it to a local VW agent for further diagnosis through their analysis. 

I could be wrong but I'm thinking the car will be going back to them after I've run some of this unnecessarily expensive diesel through her. 

#12 OFFLINE   Godfrey

Godfrey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 11:20 AM

Don't rule out the HPFP going out. They can and will detonate. Sending shrapnel into the return fuel line. Why I went with the bypass filter system. Still uses the stick inlet filter but sends the return fuel thru a mesh screen filter (off D6 cat). If interested I can find that setup. Easy to install and is a safeguard on HPFP failure.

I too am suspecting the problem lies with the High Pressure Fuel Pump. At least I've flagged the issue with the dealer within a month of buying the car so that it can be revisited as a warranty claim if something more expensive comes to light. I'll follow their advice and give it a tankful or two of Ultradiesel and perhaps (if the problem persists) take it for VW diagnosis and a written report so that he cannot wriggle out of his repair obligations. 

Thanks for the offer of your modification, but I'd better leave it alone while it's under warranty in case I'm blamed for making the problem worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users