Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 12156 posts
  • My Tiguan:2018 - 2.0TSI R-Line
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Montreal, Quebec

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:40 PM

I thought I would throw this question out to the membership for my own knowledge and others.

One sometimes hears about being careful with VCDS and similar tools so as to not "brick" the car. Certainly the term gives a very good idea that your car will function like a brick...DEAD.

So, what needs to be done? How much can this set the unfortunate person back dollar-wise? I can see a tow to a dealership, but can they bring the car back to life?

Just curious on the "brick" ramifications to the car and the wallet?

Cheers!

Old Dog

Current: 2018 R-Line 4MO in Platinum Grey Metallic with Two Tone Saffrano Orange and Black Interior. Driver Assistance Package (Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Traffic Alert, Lane Assist, Light Assist, Rear Cam with Area View 360 and Remote Start). R-Line Package (19" Trenton Alloys, Heated Steering Wheel, R-Line Door Aluminium Sill Plates and Stainless Steel Pedals). Pics >>> https://www.mytiguan...ew-2018-r-line/ .

Previous: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package. .
Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.
The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Map: https://www.mytiguan...></span></span>
VCDS Members' Locator Map: https://www.zeemaps....=53.883275&z=15

Glossary of Abbreviations: https://www.mytiguan...-abbreviations/

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) post-3541-0-50538200-1530623199.gif Member of the ROFC.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 07:55 AM

#2 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5574 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:21 PM

In most cases it means that one cannot get back into the particular module to correct what went wrong. This would mean replacing the specific module and coding it to the vehicle. You will have the cost of the module, the labour to install it and then code it. The Engine ECU will be the most expensive. It might be $1500 for the part alone.

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

#3 ONLINE   tricky

tricky

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 1418 posts
  • My Tiguan:2015 Match 177 DSG 4M
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::Llandeilo, South Wales

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:13 PM

Indeed, the first time I made a change with ODB11 was with great trepidation. I know I've spent my whole life configuring computer and network equipment, but when it's your own very expensive and treasured pride and joy it's with this fear in the background. 

I've made very modest changes, mostly on the back of others posting they've done it successfully, so when I read the sort of changes ON OFF and N4s make I take my hat off to them. 

Richard. OFC ®

2015 Tiguan Match 177ps DSG 4motion, nimbus grey, with loads of goodies, caravanner.

#4 OFFLINE   Rory

Rory

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • My Tiguan:2015 Match 150TDI 4Motion DSG
  • Additional Location Information::Chester

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:43 PM

I think it's on here that someone set the max speed of a Tiguan hire car to something like 100MPH and then found it's a one-off and permanent change!

Not VW, but there's a story on Pistonheads of someone whose BMW was being updated at a dealer and they had a power cut.  The car was so messed up they ended up replacing it.

near Chester, UK.

#5 OFFLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 12156 posts
  • My Tiguan:2018 - 2.0TSI R-Line
  • Additional Location Information::Montreal, Quebec

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:41 PM

First point, I remember that story Roy.

Scary story on the second point. They did the right thing replacing the car thank goodness for him.

Cheers!

Current: 2018 R-Line 4MO in Platinum Grey Metallic with Two Tone Saffrano Orange and Black Interior. Driver Assistance Package (Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Traffic Alert, Lane Assist, Light Assist, Rear Cam with Area View 360 and Remote Start). R-Line Package (19" Trenton Alloys, Heated Steering Wheel, R-Line Door Aluminium Sill Plates and Stainless Steel Pedals). Pics >>> https://www.mytiguan...ew-2018-r-line/ .

Previous: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package. .
Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.
The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Map: https://www.mytiguan...></span></span>
VCDS Members' Locator Map: https://www.zeemaps....=53.883275&z=15

Glossary of Abbreviations: https://www.mytiguan...-abbreviations/

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) post-3541-0-50538200-1530623199.gif Member of the ROFC.

#6 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5574 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:35 PM

I can attest to BMWs being a nightmare to flash. We have done them and their software is horrific. Other than doing some stupid user trick like changing something you shouldn't, most bricking occurs when voltage drops too low during the write process. The vehicle is on, and the process takes longer than expected and battery voltage drops to low. It's real easy to lose track of time, even when recoding with VCDS. And most people don't have a battery charger that can provide a stable, correct voltage. We had to purchase a $1200 charger that has a specific flash mode that you can set the voltage at, and it will provide 70A of clean DC for an extended time. 

Shawn

#7 OFFLINE   Rory

Rory

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • My Tiguan:2015 Match 150TDI 4Motion DSG
  • Additional Location Information::Chester

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:48 PM

Our other main car is a Mercedes and it's mandatory for the dealers to attach them to a power supply before doing any updates.  Apparently some take hours to do.

near Chester, UK.

#8 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5574 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:17 AM

It’s true, some take hours. Keep in mind the data bus in a car is nowhere near as fast as your PC and the software bundle can be huge.

Shawn

#9 ONLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 Tiguan SE+ 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:01 AM

Big reason to stay out of Byte 18 / Lighting without an eeprom device. Yes it's an easy as a click to brick it. Didn't on my TDI trying to make my rear fogs work. Started getting goofy things like one DRL or blinker on to one tail light. Lol amazing how different US/EU/ROW cars are wired.
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST..

Find me on Instagram @IggyTheTiggy

#10 ONLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4372 posts
  • My Tiguan:Mk2 SEL DSG 2.0 TSI in Black
  • Additional Location Information::N W Kent the Garden of England

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:03 AM

A friend of my wife’s Range Rover was bricked by the dealers for 8 weeks when they tried to update her car on its first service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
N.W. Kent England2018 Tiguan Mk2 2.0 TSI DSG SEL deep black pearl, Slash cut exhaust tips, chrome Mirror covers, front wing embellishes, Stainless tail gate trim. 2010 Black 2.0 TDI DSG, 4Motion, Match P/X'd2010 Black EOS SE 140 TDI DSG<p> Member of the OFC

#11 OFFLINE   cbernard60

cbernard60

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • My Tiguan:2.0 TDI 2013 model
  • Where are you located?:France
  • Additional Location Information::40 KM North from PARIS

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:31 AM

For information, although I have excellent computer knowledge and good knowledge of auto repair, before modifying anything with VCDS (or other software for other brands), I am inspired by what is mentioned on the sites:

- VAGREPAIR - TECHNICAL VAG - AUDI PASSION And I always save the old parameters before modifying them!

As far as possible, I get the technical documentation and check Y.T.!

REALLY VERY EFFECTIVE!

#12 ONLINE   n4s

n4s

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1658 posts
  • My Tiguan:Sport TDI auto 2009
  • Where are you located?:Portugal

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

with VCDS it will be hard to brick a car but you can get in trouble. Like Shawng said, you can generate so many errors in module that you won't be able to enter in it again (with VCDS) and will require you to buy another, Byte 18 in BCM can put you in that situation.

But even with all that errors your engine will start and car will move, some things won't work but you don't have total brick.

Other tools can make that and unfortunatelly I have already been in that place... Long time ago, while flashing VW update file for engine, the Software crashed and I ended up with a Brick! I still keep this movie to remmember it can happen

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiIHYQMdVLQ

I spent several hours trying to solve this and fortunatelly I eventually managed to flash it, but I know the risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users