myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4372 posts
  • My Tiguan:Mk2 SEL DSG 2.0 TSI in Black
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::N W Kent the Garden of England

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:59 AM

I was listening to the Jeremy Vine show BBC2 on Friday (don't shoot me it was on in our workshop lol.) They had a subject on about new cars fitted with OE LED headlamps and how in the opinion of the driving associations AA and RAC  LED's were blinding drivers of oncoming vehicles. It was said that because the brightness of the lamps it would take your eyes 5 times longer to adjust than if you were blinded by Halogens. I can't say that I have ever had an issue with cars but I certainly have with cyclists when they have half a dozen white LED's on them, it's almost like looking at the sun and there doesn't seem to be any legislation about them.

Mick

N.W. Kent England2018 Tiguan Mk2 2.0 TSI DSG SEL deep black pearl, Slash cut exhaust tips, chrome Mirror covers, front wing embellishes, Stainless tail gate trim. 2010 Black 2.0 TDI DSG, 4Motion, Match P/X'd2010 Black EOS SE 140 TDI DSG<p> Member of the OFC

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 06:51 PM

#2 OFFLINE   jayro

jayro

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1256 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 SE 140 4Motion DSG

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:05 AM

Never had a problem if they are on dip, but do notice cars that have them whether in front or behind but not to my detriment

#3 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5333 posts
  • My Tiguan:2017 TSi R-Line (3rd Tiguan)
  • Where are you located?:New Zealand
  • Additional Location Information::Alexandra, Central Otago

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:08 AM

Properly adjusted leds have much cleaner cutoffs and are less blinding in my view. Now leds fitted to halogen reflectors are a totally different story !!!
Derek

OFC member (Old Farts Club)
3xTC member (3 times Tiguan Club)
Alexandra
New Zealand
http://www.alexandra.co.nz/
2017 TSi R-Line, full leds, leather, Discovery Pro, adaptive cruise, adaptive chassis etc etc.

#4 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4372 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:12 AM

Properly adjusted leds have much cleaner cutoffs and are less blinding in my view. Now leds fitted to halogen reflectors are a totally different story !!!

I couldn't agree more NZ but this was about OE LED's.

N.W. Kent England2018 Tiguan Mk2 2.0 TSI DSG SEL deep black pearl, Slash cut exhaust tips, chrome Mirror covers, front wing embellishes, Stainless tail gate trim. 2010 Black 2.0 TDI DSG, 4Motion, Match P/X'd2010 Black EOS SE 140 TDI DSG<p> Member of the OFC

#5 OFFLINE   tricky

tricky

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 1417 posts
  • My Tiguan:2015 Match 177 DSG 4M
  • Additional Location Information::Llandeilo, South Wales

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:18 PM

An interesting discussion, my wife and I have recently been discussing this. From the perspective of looking at them coming towards you they are incredibly bright and piercing. Yes they have a very sharp cut off, but approaching you slightly uphill and from the right they can be absolutely blinding. For this reason my wife has always disliked them as, due to a childhood issue with her eyes, her eyes cannot tolerate very bright light and take a longer than normal time to recover. 

However her new car (T-Cross R-line) has LED headlights, and as the driver in the car the light output is superb and clearly lights the road; far more than halogen, and arguably brighter than my bi-xenon (though I do miss my bending round the corner lights, offset a little by the very wide beam spread of the LEDs).

I am very conscious of this extra brightness, so do switch to dip just as soon as I see a car coming the other way, or even going the same direction far ahead of me. 

Richard. OFC ®

2015 Tiguan Match 177ps DSG 4motion, nimbus grey, with loads of goodies, caravanner.

#6 ONLINE   Stiguan4Motion

Stiguan4Motion

myTiguan Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • My Tiguan:2016 SE 4Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::SoCal

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:07 AM

People once said the same thing about halogen headlight bulbs, when they were first introduced, while the industry was still running incadescent bulbs.

Current: 2016 SE 4Motion/ Gen 1 EA888 2.0T (CCTA)/ 6-speed Tiptronic

Mods: APR Stage 1| DDM Ultra 5500K D3S| VCDS Tweaks| Neuspeed intake with AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter| Neuspeed RsE012 18" wheels | DDM interior LEDs

Past: 2008 Passat 2.0T 6MT, 2002 Golf TDI 5MT, 1988.5 Toyota Camry V6 5MT, 1984 Corolla 3AT

VCDS HEX+CAN Located in Orange County, California

#7 OFFLINE   mike2020

mike2020

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 103TDI Pacific
  • Where are you located?:Australia
  • Additional Location Information::Tasmania

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:39 PM

There seems to be an escalating battle in headlighting. In Tas where I estimate 25% of vehicles have faulty lights (one headlight so it looks like a motorbike, or one dim/flickering light or just badly adjusted) many vehicles (especially SUVs, utes and soft-roaders), instead of having their OE lights adjusted/fixed, fit light bars which are truly blinding.

But even properly adjusted LEDs having intense blinding moments on our bumpy, hilly roads. Meeting a fully lit up logging truck with LEDs blazing on a narrow rural road is not an experience to be missed.

2013 Tiguan 103TDI 4-Motion Pacific. Wild Cherry Red. DSG. Tow bar. Body mouldings. Bonnet and headlight protectors. Glorious Russian bonnet gas strut lifts.

#8 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5333 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:46 PM

LEDs allow for auto-dipping and even shuttering when following somebody and I suspect that will become the norm with yet another basic function (the need to dip your lights) largely relegated to computer control in the same way gear changes have and even following distances with ACC. Let’s face it the push is towards driverless with all these things being largely automatic.
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand
2017 TSi R-Line, full leds, leather, Discovery Pro, adaptive cruise, adaptive chassis etc etc.

#9 OFFLINE   johny

johny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • My Tiguan:2012 Tiguan 1.4TSI Trend
  • Where are you located?:Portugal
  • Additional Location Information::Lisbon

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:51 AM

Same opinion, the problem is retrofitting without knowledge about it. 

#10 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4372 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:37 PM

An interesting discussion, my wife and I have recently been discussing this. From the perspective of looking at them coming towards you they are incredibly bright and piercing. Yes they have a very sharp cut off, but approaching you slightly uphill and from the right they can be absolutely blinding. For this reason my wife has always disliked them as, due to a childhood issue with her eyes, her eyes cannot tolerate very bright light and take a longer than normal time to recover. 

However her new car (T-Cross R-line) has LED headlights, and as the driver in the car the light output is superb and clearly lights the road; far more than halogen, and arguably brighter than my bi-xenon (though I do miss my bending round the corner lights, offset a little by the very wide beam spread of the LEDs).

I am very conscious of this extra brightness, so do switch to dip just as soon as I see a car coming the other way, or even going the same direction far ahead of me. 

I agree tricky I miss my bendy xenons on my Eos, I have xenons on my A5 but they don't bend they do the xenon dance as do my LED's on my Tig but no bendy round corners lol.

Mick

#11 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5333 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:17 PM

Our leds steer around corners, don’t yours ?
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#12 OFFLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 12155 posts
  • My Tiguan:2018 - 2.0TSI R-Line
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Montreal, Quebec

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:04 PM

LED's "bend" around corners here in Canada. :)

Current: 2018 R-Line 4MO in Platinum Grey Metallic with Two Tone Saffrano Orange and Black Interior. Driver Assistance Package (Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Traffic Alert, Lane Assist, Light Assist, Rear Cam with Area View 360 and Remote Start). R-Line Package (19" Trenton Alloys, Heated Steering Wheel, R-Line Door Aluminium Sill Plates and Stainless Steel Pedals). Pics >>> https://www.mytiguan...ew-2018-r-line/ .

Previous: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package. .
Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.
The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Map: https://www.mytiguan...></span></span>
VCDS Members' Locator Map: https://www.zeemaps....=53.883275&z=15

Glossary of Abbreviations: https://www.mytiguan...-abbreviations/

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) post-3541-0-50538200-1530623199.gif Member of the ROFC.

#13 OFFLINE   jayro

jayro

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1256 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 SE 140 4Motion DSG

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:33 PM

My LEDs bend on my Golf here in the uk but only on low speed manouvers

#14 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5333 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:07 PM

My R-Line does the low speed with the fog lights left and right but at high speed there are leds that turn with the steering, not certain which part but it’s quite effective on the winding mountain roads we have.
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#15 OFFLINE   tricky

tricky

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 1417 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:58 AM

The T-Cross has the mid range LEDs that don't bend. I know the High range on the Tig do but we didn't get those.

Richard. OFC ®

2015 Tiguan Match 177ps DSG 4motion, nimbus grey, with loads of goodies, caravanner.

#16 OFFLINE   marchie

marchie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • My Tiguan:150 TDi Match
  • Additional Location Information::Fife, Scotland and Vendee, France

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:38 AM

We're on a caravan site in Spain, about 100 metres from the beach (as the crow flies). Spent an enjoyable 3 hours+, extending into the evening, changing the ancient outside light for a LED version ("5 minute job" ...). I had a real struggle to get a proper connection, and Mrs Marchie was providing a running commentary on whether the other 12 volt lights on the same circuit were still working. After several "on,off,on off" comments, and a moan about doing a stupid job in the dark and cold, when the lights flashed on and off again, she commented somewhat caustically, "Much more of this and the Spanish Coastguard will think they've got a new lighthouse ...".

There's no retort to that, really :-))

Steve

Steve BOFC, OFC, MOG and barred from most things

#17 OFFLINE   tricky

tricky

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 1417 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:31 PM

:D  :D 

and from my misses :D  :D  :D

Richard. OFC ®

#18 OFFLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 12155 posts
  • My Tiguan:2018 - 2.0TSI R-Line
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Montreal, Quebec

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:58 PM

:gathering:

Current: 2018 R-Line 4MO in Platinum Grey Metallic with Two Tone Saffrano Orange and Black Interior. Driver Assistance Package (Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Traffic Alert, Lane Assist, Light Assist, Rear Cam with Area View 360 and Remote Start). R-Line Package (19" Trenton Alloys, Heated Steering Wheel, R-Line Door Aluminium Sill Plates and Stainless Steel Pedals). Pics >>> https://www.mytiguan...ew-2018-r-line/ .

Previous: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package. .
Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.
The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Map: https://www.mytiguan...></span></span>
VCDS Members' Locator Map: https://www.zeemaps....=53.883275&z=15

Glossary of Abbreviations: https://www.mytiguan...-abbreviations/

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) post-3541-0-50538200-1530623199.gif Member of the ROFC.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users