myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 Tiguan SE+ 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 18 December 2019 - 04:02 AM

Sorry on topic off topic rant here. If you've been following my last week of problems on my Tiguan, I've finally sorted it. Last winter my water pump failed, and since they had the intake off already they offered me the carbon clean as I had medium buildup. So fast forward to my boost and low power issues. Pulled the IAT out and stuck my camera in the intake and past the flapper. To see pretty much the ugliest sight ever. Carbon... WTH! Soni called the dealer and they said oh we don't walnut blast, too time consuming so we fogged your intake to dissolve the carbon. Uhh dudes i paid you $350 to clean the carbon while the intake was off not slap it back on and spray some CRC carbon cleaner at them. Ugh. So now I've got to fork out $800-1000 again to have it done properly as from what I could see the valve edges have big buildup and I can see carbon hanging off the valves and runners. Pretty *ed off at this point. Had I know they were just going to fog it, if of saved that money putting it towards doing it right. Now I've got to come up with the funds, take it to my tune shop, have them do it, probably having to stay overnight at a hotel as they need it cold and it's a 75 mile trip each way to the tuner. I am almost just done with it. Last year and a half has really hurt my pocket in maintenance. But I knew it was coming but when you have to pay twice for something not done right it just angers me to no end. Ranks up there with finding out they just flushed my transmission for $400, no filter, and how they did the Haldex, as we are finding out.

Sorry for the rant, it's been a really bad few days for me, and this isn't what I wanted to see
Attached File  FB_IMG_1576635321359.jpg   55.61KB   7 downloads

This one doesn't look too bad but if i spun the camera a bit there was a massive hunk of carbon on the valve next to it I was unable to hold and snap a picture of.

Attached File  FB_IMG_1576635308786.jpg   52.99KB   6 downloads

Intake is oily and grimy as heck, my IAT was saturated in oil, and it was difficult to keep the camera clean as I snaked it down into the intake via the IAT hole. No luck going thru the Breather hole and it must have its own tube inside that I couldn't get the camera out of to look more.
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST..

Find me on Instagram @IggyTheTiggy

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 12:28 AM

#2 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 06:20 AM

I'm going to try a few things first and maybe try and get a catch can on it as soon as I can. Still maddening. Just haven't have the best of luck this last few months with it. Must of *ed it off looking at a newer model. Lol.

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

OEM+ OR BUST..

#3 OFFLINE   Stiguan4Motion

Stiguan4Motion

myTiguan Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • My Tiguan:2016 SE 4Motion
  • Additional Location Information::SoCal

Posted 18 December 2019 - 03:53 PM

Catch can won't help with the build up.

If the dealership still does phone call surveys, then you can rate them low.

Maybe open a case file with VWoA because you have documented proof of shoddy work

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Current: 2016 SE 4Motion/ Gen 1 EA888 2.0T (CCTA)/ 6-speed Tiptronic

Mods: APR Stage 1| DDM Ultra 5500K D3S| VCDS Tweaks| Neuspeed intake with AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter| Neuspeed RsE012 18" wheels | DDM interior LEDs

Past: 2008 Passat 2.0T 6MT, 2002 Golf TDI 5MT, 1988.5 Toyota Camry V6 5MT, 1984 Corolla 3AT

VCDS HEX+CAN Located in Orange County, California

#4 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 05:37 PM

Really? Everything I was reading said since you eliminate the EGR and PCV setup that it would take care of it. Well there is $500 I wont spend unnecessarily then. Well the big factor is the clean was done last December when the did the water pump. And only 10k miles. Had I looked when I brought it home then if have a case. It since it's been a year, and was dealing with a boost leak they could say things, and was already half blown off by the dealer. So it's all on me. It's just sad that pretty much this is what to expect anymore from the dealers. Heck when I got it back I was missing the rear splash pan bolts, and 3 of the smaller screws, oh they must of fallen out on your way home, it's common to loose them. Well I'd had gone 55k without losing them. Lol. Also I had them look at a persistent oil leak at the plug, oh $600+ for a new pan.. well I replaced my oil plug with a new one and it solved it. After looking at the plug the machines face for the crush washer was imperfect so it wouldn't crush squarely. Paid over a grand for everything after VW paid for $1500 of the water pump.

But all and all a few said yikes and a few said yes I need it done to fully solve my boost issue and poor running. But no matter what I have to wait till spring to to it as I'm fully tapped and taking it back to the same dealer would just net another spray of GDI cleaner and not the recommendation of walnut blasting most independent shops do.

OEM+ OR BUST..

#5 OFFLINE   Stiguan4Motion

Stiguan4Motion

myTiguan Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • My Tiguan:2016 SE 4Motion
  • Additional Location Information::SoCal

Posted 18 December 2019 - 05:44 PM

If there was an EGR, getting rid of it would eliminate it. But the EGR is simulated via valve overlap.

Companies that make catch can kits make that claim to sell product, but people with catch cans have demonstrated that the valve buildup still happens.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Current: 2016 SE 4Motion/ Gen 1 EA888 2.0T (CCTA)/ 6-speed Tiptronic

Mods: APR Stage 1| DDM Ultra 5500K D3S| VCDS Tweaks| Neuspeed intake with AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter| Neuspeed RsE012 18" wheels | DDM interior LEDs

Past: 2008 Passat 2.0T 6MT, 2002 Golf TDI 5MT, 1988.5 Toyota Camry V6 5MT, 1984 Corolla 3AT

VCDS HEX+CAN Located in Orange County, California

#6 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5613 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 18 December 2019 - 07:11 PM

I have had a catch can for 9 years and it does reduce the problem, but does not eliminate it. And if you are in a region where the water in the CC can freeze, it will be a problem (I know).

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

#7 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 12:11 AM

My tuner looked at my video of the intake and said run it worry about it in another 25k, said they dropped catch cans because they don't fully eliminate it, and said meth injection would help but redundant on a daily due to the cost. Said yeah the dealer did a half * job, but o should be good to go. Took them 5 mins to find my leak. The hose from the PCV to the intake had a hole in it. Got APRs tune update and bought the shop pizza for lunch. Got full boost again.

OEM+ OR BUST..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users