Engine swap what will it take to swap gen 2 or gen 3 into a gen 1 tiguan - Engines & Transmission - myTiguan Forum

Photo

Engine swap what will it take to swap gen 2 or gen 3 into a gen 1 tiguan

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bernieadam

bernieadam

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • My Tiguan:2011
  • Where are you located?:Canada

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:43 AM

I heard repeatedly that gen one, two, and three will work. Is there any information on this.

Gen 3 on write ups sound quite different what is require to make this work. Also considering buying totalled golf R (2012). Engine will this work.

I looking for anyone or site that could help me out.

Thanks

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 11:54 PM

#2 ONLINE   tricky

tricky

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 1466 posts
  • My Tiguan:2015 Match 177 DSG 4M
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::Llandeilo, South Wales

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:38 AM

Hi bernieadam and welcome to our very friendly and knowledgeable forum. If anyone knows about this I'm sure you'll get some replies.

Tricky

P.S. I won't approve your duplicate request to avoid the topic being fragmented across multiple threads. If you want to add in the introductions section more about yourself, background, skills etc that would be fine.

Richard. OFC ®

2015 Tiguan Match 177ps DSG 4motion, nimbus grey, with loads of goodies, caravanner.

#3 OFFLINE   bernieadam

bernieadam

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:53 AM

Thanks for your reply. Working still at figuring out where everything is on this forum.

#4 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4392 posts
  • My Tiguan:Mk2 SEL DSG 2.0 TSI in Black
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::N W Kent the Garden of England

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:56 PM

bernieadam anything is possible as long as you have deep pockets, so if you're up to it a write up/how to would make very interesting reading.

Mick

N.W. Kent England2018 Tiguan Mk2 2.0 TSI DSG SEL deep black pearl, Slash cut exhaust tips, chrome Mirror covers, front wing embellishes, Stainless tail gate trim. 2010 Black 2.0 TDI DSG, 4Motion, Match P/X'd2010 Black EOS SE 140 TDI DSG<p> Member of the OFC

#5 OFFLINE   bernieadam

bernieadam

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:18 PM

I finally found an engine out of a 2017 tiguan with 104000 kms on it (Moose totalled the vehicle). Got the engine with the original wiring harness and it just swapped in nicely. DecRboned valve and had to replace a cracked intake manifold. Car is on the road now, and running ok not quite the power that I think it should have, have two codes 0299 and a MAF code. Replace DV valve, still seems to be running about the same.

#6 OFFLINE   n4s

n4s

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1659 posts
  • My Tiguan:Sport TDI auto 2009
  • Where are you located?:Portugal

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:51 PM

Impressive.

#7 OFFLINE   bernieadam

bernieadam

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:25 AM

I’ve found out that code is a discrepancy code. Change the map sensor the sensor in the intake manifold. Was explained that I should pressurize the system and check for a leak. I went to the local hardware store and bought a larger plumbing plug. And hocked up a air hose and ran 8 psi into the system and found the leak. Great power now.

#8 OFFLINE   Stiguan4Motion

Stiguan4Motion

myTiguan Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • My Tiguan:2016 SE 4Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::SoCal

Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:31 AM

I heard repeatedly that gen one, two, and three will work. Is there any information on this.

Gen 3 on write ups sound quite different what is require to make this work. Also considering buying totalled golf R (2012). Engine will this work.

I looking for anyone or site that could help me out.

Thanks

MK6 Golf R uses a EA113 engine (FSI-turbo), which while it fits, has the problematic cam follower that requires regular replacement.

The CCTA engine that came on your Tiguan is a Gen 1 EA888 motor.  A Gen 2 EA888 (with Valvelift) was not made available in the US/Canada.  Gen 3 EA888 that is available on the current Tiguan, the Horsepower junkies complain about the lower HP due to the Budak cycle (which is a miller cycle).

Getting the engines from a Gen 2 and Gen 3 to work is going to be tricky because of the ECU, if a Gen 2 ea888 was offered in Europe, then you'll have to source an ECU from there.

Likewise, whether a Golf R ECU works on the Tiguan, I dunno?

Current: 2016 SE 4Motion/ Gen 1 EA888 2.0T (CCTA)/ 6-speed Tiptronic

Mods: APR Stage 1| DDM Ultra 5500K D3S| VCDS Tweaks| Neuspeed intake with AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter| Neuspeed RsE012 18" wheels | DDM interior LEDs

Past: 2008 Passat 2.0T 6MT, 2002 Golf TDI 5MT, 1988.5 Toyota Camry V6 5MT, 1984 Corolla 3AT

VCDS HEX+CAN Located in Orange County, California

#9 ONLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 Tiguan SE+ 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:16 AM

There was a Golf R/ DSG swap 2014 Tiguan running around my parts. He had a Tiguan and an R, wrecked the R, so the motor went in the Tiguan. To get things to play nice he had to use the Haldex controller off the R, and still had to make coding changes with the Rs ECU. He still had nothing but engine troubles with it. Rear mains, cam Follower etc. Tiguan is a lot heavier than the R and basically said stock R mapping was not any better than a Stg 1 tune on the EA888.1. He did tune the R and sadly blew it up. Another issue he faced was with the DSG swap the rear AWD box, needed changed to the Rs as well, he drove it nearly a month with the wrong gearing combo, as the Tiptronic trans was not compatible for some reason without modding. Custom mounts had to be made as well as the Rs motor sits higher in the engine bay and the DSG used a different mount. Engine side was fine. Be sourced parts off Passat 4 Motions, RS, Tiguans from the UK.

So it's far from Plug and Play. I just about bought his Tiguan when it blew the Motor, to rob all the SEL parts off of it but let's just say how he blew it up, landed it in impound. And him without a license for 5 years. Lol. Since it was a modified vehicle it was sadly crushed.
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST..

Find me on Instagram @IggyTheTiggy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users