myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1702 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 Tiguan SE+ 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:59 AM

For the life of me I remember when my TMPS light would come on,it would say Check X Tire in the MFD. It would on my Golf when I had a tire low. I picked up a screw in my brand new tires today and saw the light come on while on the highway. Pulled off in the shoulder to find my right rear low after checking all of them. I don't know if I changed coding some how or I'm dreaming that it would telle what tire it was. I have the indirect sensing via ABS.

I also curious how it knows a tire has been removed. As soon as I pull out of the tire shop i get the message to reset the tire pressure.
Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST..

Find me on Instagram @IggyTheTiggy

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 01:33 PM

#2 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5448 posts
  • My Tiguan:2017 TSi R-Line (3rd Tiguan)
  • Where are you located?:New Zealand
  • Additional Location Information::Alexandra, Central Otago

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:07 AM

If you gave indirect ABS sensing you have never been able to see which tyre has the problem.
Derek

OFC member (Old Farts Club)
3xTC member (3 times Tiguan Club)
Alexandra
New Zealand
http://www.alexandra.co.nz/
2017 TSi R-Line, full leds, leather, Discovery Pro, adaptive cruise, adaptive chassis etc etc.

#3 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1702 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:44 AM

Thanks NZ. My Golf had the same sensors and it would oddly. Or at least a Check Tires message and a ding when the light came on. I've hardly seen it on the Tiggy. Just surprised me, I was concentrating on the traffic and looked down to see the light on. Just making sure when I was playing with the coding to try and make Off Road work I didn't mess up coding someplace.

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

OEM+ OR BUST..

#4 OFFLINE   marchie

marchie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • My Tiguan:150 TDi Match
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::Fife, Scotland and Vendee, France

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:50 PM

I

Thanks NZ. My Golf had the same sensors and it would oddly. Or at least a Check Tires message and a ding when the light came on. I've hardly seen it on the Tiggy. Just surprised me, I was concentrating on the traffic and looked down to see the light on. Just making sure when I was playing with the coding to try and make Off Road work I didn't mess up coding someplace.

I think the 'Check your tyre pressures' is a time interval 'nagging message'. I bought my Tig in late October 2018 and drove to Spain from Scotland with a caravan hooked up. About 2 miles from journey's end on 6th December 2018, the Warning Light illuminated and scared me witless [new car, no Spanish language skills to speak of etc]. Made it to the Caravan Site and found the required instructions in the Owner's Manual, so all back to normal.

9th June 2019, on the way back from a short break at a French campsite, the TPMS Warning Light showed again, same rigmarole as the December 2018 episode. Uncannily close to 'exactly 6 months' territory! This reminds me, in order to try and avoid a hat-trick of Warning Lights, I intend to find the TPMS 'Yes, I'm still happy with my Tyre Pressures and have checked them several times over the last 5 months+, Mother' Warning Screen before setting off for Spain next week [and before it finds me!].

Of course, if I 'get my retaliation in first' as Willie John McBride used to put it, and the TPMS STILL goes into 'Nag Mode', I'll be no happy as West coast of Scotland parlance would have it ... :razz:

Steve

Steve BOFC, OFC, MOG and barred from most things

#5 OFFLINE   Stiguan4Motion

Stiguan4Motion

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • My Tiguan:2016 SE 4Motion
  • Additional Location Information::SoCal

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:49 AM

If you gave indirect ABS sensing you have never been able to see which tyre has the problem.

My old Passat had direct sensors, but it won't tell you which tire is low on pressure, because it has 315 MHz sensor system.

the 433 MHz system does tell you which tire(s) is low

Current: 2016 SE 4Motion/ Gen 1 EA888 2.0T (CCTA)/ 6-speed Tiptronic

Mods: APR Stage 1| DDM Ultra 5500K D3S| VCDS Tweaks| Neuspeed intake with AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter| Neuspeed RsE012 18" wheels | DDM interior LEDs

Past: 2008 Passat 2.0T 6MT, 2002 Golf TDI 5MT, 1988.5 Toyota Camry V6 5MT, 1984 Corolla 3AT

VCDS HEX+CAN Located in Orange County, California

#6 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1702 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:32 AM

I went back thru some of my 2011 TDI stuff and pics. On it it would come up and say Check Tires on tbe MFD with the TMPS. Wouldn't say which one. It was my old work truck 2009 F250 Lariat that would say Check X Tire I believe as it had the sensors in the tires.

I honestly can't figure why it can't say check X Tire with the ABS sensors as a flat tire would be more rotations. But I've also noted my light could be triggered onna cool day if I am running down the freeway, and encounter heavy traffic and the tires cool off. I've had it happen on the Tiguan and the Golf. I was able to change the perimeters to not trigger so close to the set tire pressure. Ran 35 in the TDI and believe it was 32 it would trigger. I can't remember how I did this as I changed it to like 25, eliminating that cool off trigger. If the US NAR cluster supported the actual tire pressure readings I'd probably consider upgrading.

OEM+ OR BUST..

#7 OFFLINE   tricky

tricky

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 1618 posts
  • My Tiguan:2015 Match 177 DSG 4M
  • Additional Location Information::Llandeilo, South Wales

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:49 AM

I wonder if it is triggered more in 2wd vehicles: I had it in my First VW,  a 2wd Passat, and when I found out where the chart for the settings was and adjusted pressures and reset it was fine. I also had it on misses polo, at around the time it needed new front tyres. Both cars needed new fronts around 12k miles, the backs were/still are on polo, originals.

I've never had it on my 4wd tig in over 4.5 years, but the tyres all wore together and needed replacing at 24k miles.

Hence my thinking that 2wd wear more quickly, you get an difference of rotation front to back which triggers the warning, probably at around 6 months wear?

Richard. OFC ®

2015 Tiguan Match 177ps DSG 4motion, nimbus grey, with loads of goodies, caravanner.

#8 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1702 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:30 AM

Interesting theory Tricky. I've had it come in 2 times since putting the new tires on. Had to run 100 miles south on the freeway 2 days after putting them on. I adjusted the tire pressures myself in the tore shops lot, and reset the tmps. All tires at 38 psi. Next morning cold everything was 37.5 cold. The morning I headed south it was a few degrees cooler. Hopped in and about 20 miles the light popped on. Was near an exit pulled off checked all my tires. 39.5 Psi. Reset the button again to kill the light. Next time it came on the next week I actually had one tire down to 25 because of a nail. Haven't seen it again even with our wild temp swings and I was back down the freeway last week no light.

My golf on the other hand seemed to like to do it at about the same place every time. And tires were fine.

But now I wonder if the ruts in the freeway from the trucks cause it. I could have 2 tires down in the rut and two on the edge of the other one and bounce back and forth being narrower than a truck. So maybe the tires up higher are turning a bit slower than the ones in the rut to stay straight. No clue but be interesting to sort it out as it's just counting revolutions and not air.

Dang it. Now I will never get to sleep. Lol got my brain working.

OEM+ OR BUST..

#9 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4497 posts
  • My Tiguan:Mk2 SEL DSG 2.0 TSI in Black
  • Additional Location Information::N W Kent the Garden of England

Posted 17 December 2019 - 11:15 AM

My Mk2 has ABS indirect sensors and tells me which tyre is low but it doesn't tell you what the actual pressure is.

Mick

N.W. Kent England2018 Tiguan Mk2 2.0 TSI DSG SEL deep black pearl, Slash cut exhaust tips, chrome Mirror covers, front wing embellishes, Stainless tail gate trim. 2010 Black 2.0 TDI DSG, 4Motion, Match P/X'd2010 Black EOS SE 140 TDI DSG<p> Member of the OFC

#10 OFFLINE   marchie

marchie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:38 PM

I wonder if it is triggered more in 2wd vehicles: I had it in my First VW, a 2wd Passat, and when I found out where the chart for the settings was and adjusted pressures and reset it was fine. I also had it on misses polo, at around the time it needed new front tyres. Both cars needed new fronts around 12k miles, the backs were/still are on polo, originals.

I've never had it on my 4wd tig in over 4.5 years, but the tyres all wore together and needed replacing at 24k miles.

Hence my thinking that 2wd wear more quickly, you get an difference of rotation front to back which triggers the warning, probably at around 6 months wear?

I have a 2WD Tig but believe that the TPMS is triggered at 6 monthly intervals. I check the tyres before every long trip, but never bothered/knew about the TPMS 'nag'. Bought Tig on 29/10/18 and got the nag warning on 6th December, 2 miles from my first foray finish, towing to Spain (big panic at warning light!). 9th June 2019, TPMS nag appears again, also on return from towing!

Before setting off for Spain at the end of November 2019, I checked tyres and then remembered to report to Teacher via the MFD that I had done so. No December 2019 TPMS warning light has appeared - thank goodness!

Steve

#11 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4497 posts
  • My Tiguan:Mk2 SEL DSG 2.0 TSI in Black
  • Additional Location Information::N W Kent the Garden of England

Posted 25 December 2019 - 12:29 PM

I have never heard of TPMS going off annually and can't understand why they would, as it is we all check our tyres daily don't we lol  ;-) .

Mick

N.W. Kent England2018 Tiguan Mk2 2.0 TSI DSG SEL deep black pearl, Slash cut exhaust tips, chrome Mirror covers, front wing embellishes, Stainless tail gate trim. 2010 Black 2.0 TDI DSG, 4Motion, Match P/X'd2010 Black EOS SE 140 TDI DSG<p> Member of the OFC

#12 OFFLINE   marchie

marchie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 05:18 PM

I have never heard of TPMS going off annually and can't understand why they would, as it is we all check our tyres daily don't we lol ;-) .

Mick

6 months virtually to the day, Mick. Since telling the system that I have checked the tyre Pressure and that I am a happy little bunny, TPMS has left me alone, so if I get a message, I'll know that I do need to take action!

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.