• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5384 posts
  • My Tiguan:2017 TSi R-Line (3rd Tiguan)
  • Where are you located?:New Zealand
  • Additional Location Information::Alexandra, Central Otago

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:22 AM

Just to let people overseas know that we are all shocked and horrified with what has happened here today. Fact is that it was done here specifically because NZ has been the safest place on earth for people from every nation, religion and creed. The scum that perpetuated this horror will never win, they simply reinforce our compassion for all the peoples of this earth. Our hearts go out to all those directly effected, their families and friends around the world. As Jacinta Adhern said tonight “this is not us” and it will not define us.
Derek

OFC member (Old Farts Club)
3xTC member (3 times Tiguan Club)
Alexandra
New Zealand
http://www.alexandra.co.nz/
2017 TSi R-Line, full leds, leather, Discovery Pro, adaptive cruise, adaptive chassis etc etc.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 10:45 AM

#2 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5644 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

We just woke up to this horrific news. Our hearts go out to the whole country. NO ONE should ever persecuted for their beliefs

• likes this

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

#3 OFFLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 12281 posts
  • My Tiguan:2018 - 2.0TSI R-Line
  • Additional Location Information::Montreal, Quebec

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:39 PM

Our hearts and prayers go out to those who lost loved ones and to those wounded in this horrific sensless act.
  • likes this

Current: 2018 R-Line 4MO in Platinum Grey Metallic with Two Tone Saffrano Orange and Black Interior. Driver Assistance Package (Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Traffic Alert, Lane Assist, Light Assist, Rear Cam with Area View 360 and Remote Start). R-Line Package (19" Trenton Alloys, Heated Steering Wheel, R-Line Door Aluminium Sill Plates and Stainless Steel Pedals). Pics >>> https://www.mytiguan...ew-2018-r-line/ .

Previous: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package. .
Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.
The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Map: https://www.mytiguan...></span></span>
VCDS Members' Locator Map: https://www.zeemaps....=53.883275&z=15

Glossary of Abbreviations: https://www.mytiguan...-abbreviations/

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) post-3541-0-50538200-1530623199.gif Member of the ROFC.

#4 OFFLINE   Warrior

Warrior

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4035 posts
  • My Tiguan:2017 190PS SEL DSG 2.0 TDI
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::Worcester

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:24 PM

I totally endorse all of the comments above.

• likes this

Steve 
Member of the ROFC
Worcester, U.K.

2017 190PS TDI SEL DSG, Black Pearl, Black Leather, Dynaudio, Keyless, Full Electric Tailgate, TPMS, Park Assist & Rear View Camera, Heated S/Wheel.

Previously - 2011 140PS TDI Match DSG, Black Pearl, Black Leather, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, Convenience, Off Road, Bi-Xenons and retro fit fogs.
Previously - 2008 170PS TD
I Sport Manual, Black Pearl, Black Leather, RNS510, Dynaudio, Park Assist, M/F Wheel, Cruise Control.

#5 OFFLINE   Pieman

Pieman

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2340 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 SE TDI 140 Auto 4 Motion
  • Additional Location Information::Fife, Scotland

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:55 PM

I too endorse all the sentiments expressed.

As we are in NZ at the moment we are sharing the shock, the sadness and anger that the nation is feeling.

Sincere condolences to all the families touched by this atrocious act of violence.
  • likes this

2010 Tiguan SE 2.0TDI 140 Auto 4 Motion - Deep Black Pearl

Items added since buying My Tig in April 2012 :-

Fiscon Bluetooth - Cruise Control - Rear Parking Sensors - Side Mouldings - Stainless Steel Door Sill Protectors - Rear Armrest Cushion - Shark Fin Arial - Front Fog Lights - Upgraded BCM - Automatic Lights Switch and Sensor - LED Door Warning Lights - LED Mirror Puddle Lights - Interior Lights Changed to LEDs - LED Front and Rear Footwell Lights - LED Side Lights - Mud Flaps - Boot Liner - Bonnet Gas Struts - Boot Lip Protector - Near Side Rear Fog Light(Twin rear fog lights)

#6 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5384 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:01 PM

There is a move in the country now for NZs to stand encircling the Mosques so Muslims can see our solidarity with them and go about their worship in the knowledge that this is nothing that any true NZer would condone. Evidently Muslims did just this surrounding a church in Israel so Christians could worship in peace !!
  • likes this
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand
2017 TSi R-Line, full leds, leather, Discovery Pro, adaptive cruise, adaptive chassis etc etc.

#7 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5384 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:28 AM

One of the many questions that will have to be answered is how, given NZs reasonably strict gun laws, he/they managed to get a NZ gun licence and purchase the weapons (evidently a year or two back). I can tell you from personal experience that gun licences are not easy to obtain here. To renew mine (I’d had one for over 10 years) I was interviewed, so was my wife, my doctor had to provide a medical certificate because of some meds I’m on, and my two referees were telephoned and interviewed. On top of that a police officer had to approve my storage facilities for weapons and ammunition here in my home. So this man has had a lot of people to get past to legally buy a weapon !! Oh you have to prove you have a reason to own as well (I had a rural land block at the time which I kept rabbits down on). I understand the shooter was a member of a gun club in Dunedin so that may have been deemed reason enough, perhaps some of the members there gave him references, they’ll be heavily scrutinised no doubt !!
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#8 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4416 posts
  • My Tiguan:Mk2 SEL DSG 2.0 TSI in Black
  • Additional Location Information::N W Kent the Garden of England

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:00 PM

I was sent the gun mans footage and not realising it was real I watched it, I actually sobbed my heart out in front of my wife who wondered what I was looking at.  I cannot believe what these so called human beings can do to other totally innocent women, children and men in the name of white supremacy. I hope there is a hell and he rots in it for the rest of time and yes I did delete the video and I blocked the sender of this abhorrent film. My deepest sympathies to you all in New Zealand.

Mick 

N.W. Kent England2018 Tiguan Mk2 2.0 TSI DSG SEL deep black pearl, Slash cut exhaust tips, chrome Mirror covers, front wing embellishes, Stainless tail gate trim. 2010 Black 2.0 TDI DSG, 4Motion, Match P/X'd2010 Black EOS SE 140 TDI DSG<p> Member of the OFC

#9 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5644 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 04:11 PM

A friend of a friend of mine commented that when the world leaders spew hate and intolerance, what do they expect will happen?

Shawn

#10 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5384 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:38 PM

So true Shawn, our PM Jacinta Adhern actually told Trump he was wrong when he suggested it was “a small group of people” involved !! I honestly believe he’s been the biggest creator of Antimuslim hatred around the world, not dissimilar to Hitler who did the same thing with the Jews. Extremism is wrong regardless of who or what colour or creed the extremist !! Leaders such as Trump are a blight on the World and frankly the reason we now have so many Islamic refugees in places like NZ. Sorry rant over.
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#11 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5384 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:53 PM

FWIW the Kiwi reaction to this hatred has been a massive outpouring of love, an official give a little page has already collected over three million dollars, Christian churches have opened their doors for Muslim services (all the Mosques are still in lockdown) and next Friday (the next big prayer day for Muslims) all Kiwis are being urged to go to the areas around the mosques to show solidarity with Muslim population. As Jacinta Adhern said “NZ is their home, they are US” !!
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#12 OFFLINE   Sven Arden

Sven Arden

myTiguan Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:48 PM

Two wrongs have never made a single right. 

My thoughts and prayers to all our NZ brothers, of whatever religion.  Interesting that NZ says they will tighten gun controls.  This was the experience in the UK after Dunblane and this has worked well.  However,  if this had happened in the US, I have a feeling that they would be advocating more gun ownership, because clearly this would make the country safer (NOT).

Steve P
Nottinghamshire, UK

Tiguan SEL BiTdi 240 4Motion 2018 Deep Black Pearl  20" Miramar wheels, DynAudio Excite, Discover Nav pro , Winter Pack, Outdoor pack, Keyless entry & Start, Swivelling towball with trailer assist and rear view camera, Ambient lighting pack, Panoramic sunroof with integrated roller blind, Tyre pressure monitoring, Vienna Leather Storm Grey, Electric 12 way adjustable drivers seat, Heated front seats, steering wheel and washer jets, Vodafone Cat5 GPS tracker, 240v socket
(WasTiguan SE TDi 170 4Motion 2010 Deep Black Pearl).

#13 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5384 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:27 PM

You're certainly correct Sven.  We actually have quite strong gun laws here, you have to be licensed which takes considerable effort these days with personal interviews, checks on referees, safety test, and home visits to show you have suitable safes (weapons and bolts/amo stored separately etc).  BUT the two things that in my belief that are wrong here and need urgent attention are 1: the guns themselves aren't kept track of, just the owners.  Many years back when I first started shooting every firearm had a register on which the owners name was maintained as well as every owner being licensed and having each weapon shown on their license, this is how it should be again in my view.  2:  The biggest issue is that the "gun lobby" (for want of a better term) have always fought for, and got, the right to have AR's and Ak's to "play" with, these are weapons designed to kill people pure and simple, they're useless for hunting, come as semi auto and are relatively easily converted to full auto.  Simply put they should not be in the hands of the public.  I am hopeful both these things will be enforced as the current rules which simply limit magazine sizes and semi-auto only are so easily circumvented by anybody who wishes to do so.

Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#14 ONLINE   mike2020

mike2020

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 103TDI Pacific
  • Where are you located?:Australia
  • Additional Location Information::Tasmania

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:13 PM

Post-Port Arthur, Australia's gun laws were radically reformed by the Federal government with all states complying, but for the record self-loading can be still be held legally. They are, however, severely restricted as to use, calibre and magazine load ie mainly for rural pest control/professional cullers.

To obtain a bolt action .22, there were numerous criteria, applications, police reports, justification including property size, waiting periods for assessment, compulsory training including marksmanship, gun safe inspection, waiting period for permission to purchase every firearm with individual permit, unannounced police visits, ammo registration at every purchase with proof of licence, 5 year licence renewal, police permit requirement to sell and of course a register of firearms to their owner with rigorous requirements as to any changes in address or circumstances. The whole process took nearly a year and cost a substantial amount. Handguns are a separate category with even greater restrictions. My wife is not even allowed to know where the keys to the safe are kept. Failure to comply with the regulations results in immediate confiscation of firearms and an ensuing court case.

This process is not fail safe and there are continuing arguments and attempts to weaken the regulations, but they have held for 20 years and we have managed to avoid such terrible events. It is hard to understand how anyone outside the military can justify the ownership of automatic weapons or large calibre semis.

My wife has close family in ChCh and we are beyond words.

2013 Tiguan 103TDI 4-Motion Pacific. Wild Cherry Red. DSG. Tow bar. Body mouldings. Bonnet and headlight protectors. Glorious Russian bonnet gas strut lifts.

#15 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5384 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:30 PM

mike you should be able to go into your post and change it if you wish.  Look down the bottom right of your post and you should see an edit button.

Thanks for the info on Ausi, I just hope we end up with something similar here.

Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#16 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5384 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:40 PM

In NZ Dave Dobbyn's beautiful song "Welcome Home" is being sung at many of the gatherings in support of the Muslim community.  This song was written about immigration and the different races and creeds that live as one in NZ now.  It tells them they are all welcome in their new home of NZ.  Many tears have been shed listening to this in recent times.  Here's one version I found on YouTube that some of you might like to listen to.  The huge push here in NZ is that we welcome everybody, that this is home to everybody who comes here and that love is what we offer not hate.

Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#17 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5384 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:19 PM

Not wanting to overstate what has happened or the reaction to it, some may be interested in the uniquely Kiwi reactions.  This video shows an unrehe*d, spur of the moment, haka performed by a number of high school students in Christchurch.  You will see how a small group start it and by the end there are many there adding their voices.  Kia Kaha NZ  Stand Strong.

Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#18 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5384 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:11 AM

As of today at 3pm the sale of AK and AR type military weapons are banned in NZ. Soon increased licensing of both weapons and their owners will be introduced. Better late than never !!
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

#19 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5644 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:07 PM

I heard that on the news this morning. That was amazingly fast. I applaud the govt of New Zealand for the swift and decisive action. ii wish ours moved this swiftly. Sadly, almost all of the gun violence we see in Canada is with illegal hand guns and new proposed legislation is for legal gun owners. 

Shawn

#20 OFFLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5384 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:02 PM

Update today. Pleased to say the shooter has plead guilty today to 51 murders, 40 attempted murders and 1 terrorism charge. This at least ends his chances of spouting his hate in court. He will be sentenced after the covid-19 lockdown (at least a month). This is so all those wishing to give victim impact statements and to attend the sentencing in person will be able to be there.
Derek

Alexandra
New Zealand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.