myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • My Tiguan:R-Line 140 (Now sold)
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::East Sussex

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

After seeing a program on BBC last night about cyclists (particularly in London) using helmet cams to record their struggles, or otherwise, with traffic; I was wondering whether to fit a dashboard camera for the same reason. Has anyone fitted or used one in the past and any thoughts or ideas, good or bad?

2010 R Line 140TDI Auto in candy white with leather trim / heated seats / panoramic roof / sat nav / bluetooth prep / detachable tow bar / dual climate / Bi-Xenons w/cornering lights / auto lights, wipers, interior mirror / carpet mats & rubber mats / F/R park sensors / park assist / R Line MFSW / (sorry VW, but you "screwed up")

2017 Hyundai Tucson Premier SE in Ada Blue

Also stabling 1989 MG Maestro Turbo in British Racing Green (project car)

Member of OFC, Candy White Club and Tiggy Tow Club

"You know you're getting old when your knees buckle and your belt won't"

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 02:11 PM

#2 OFFLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 13238 posts
  • My Tiguan:2020 VW Atlas Cross Sport
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Montreal, Quebec

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

After seeing a program on BBC last night about cyclists (particularly in London) using helmet cams to record their struggles, or otherwise, with traffic; I was wondering whether to fit a dashboard camera for the same reason. Has anyone fitted or used one in the past and any thoughts or ideas, good or bad?

I personally thing dashboard cams are a good idea if used properly. I have seen a number of posts about them Pete, I'll have a look round to see if I can come up with them are post them here.

Current: 2020 VW Atlas Cross Sport - Comfortline 3.6L in Pacific Blue

Previous: 2018 R-Line 4MO in Platinum Grey Metallic with Two Tone Saffrano Orange and Black Interior.

Previous: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package. .
Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.
The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Map: https://www.mytiguan...></span></span>
VCDS Members' Locator Map: https://www.zeemaps....=53.883275&z=15

Glossary of Abbreviations: https://www.mytiguan...-abbreviations/

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) post-3541-0-50538200-1530623199.gif Member of the ROFC.

#3 OFFLINE   savvy

savvy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • My Tiguan:2012 2.0 TDI Spt 170ps 4Motion

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

Anil Berke treated us to a drive around Istanbul back in November, using a GoPro.

Maybe he will chime in with his experiences?
Essex, United Kingdom Posted Image

2012 (July) Tiguan 2.0 (170PS) TDI Sport, 6-Speed Manual, Pearl Black, Beige Leather, Park Assist, RNS510 SatNav Dynaudio Rear Camera, Mirror Pack, Vehicle Protection Plan, 3-Year Service Plan.

#4 OFFLINE   kayak

kayak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • My Tiguan:2017 Tiguan SEL TDi 4Motion
  • Additional Location Information::united kingdom

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

I have a Gopro camera that I use when I go out on my mountain bike and have considered using in the Tiguan. However as on the mountain bike it records my mistakes as well the mistakes of others!!

UK  2017 Tiguan SEL 2.0 TDI 150 PS 4MOTION BlueMotion, Atlantic Blue,Tow Bar, Roof Bars, Protection Pack

#5 OFFLINE   Pedestrian A

Pedestrian A

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • My Tiguan:2011 Trendline 4Motion 2.0T

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

I have a Blackvue DR400 on my Tiguan and Abee V30 on my other car. The Blackvue has overheating issue every once a while so I don't recommend it. The night time video is the best compare to other dash cams. Not sure the DR400 II has solved the overheating issue. The Abee is only 720p but the new V31 is 1080p Video quality is not as good as the Blackvue.

GoPro is not bad but the problem is you have to turn the camera on by yourself unlike other dashcam that starts recording when the car engine is on.
Vancouver, BC Canada
2011 Trendline 4Motion

#6 OFFLINE   Woodmaster

Woodmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

After I was run into at a crossing earlier this year I fitted a RoadHawk unit to the car.

Fit and forget. Comes on when engine started, off when stopped (or can be set to record when parked).

Fixes to windscreen behind rear view mirror.

Works great.
Tiguan 2.0 Tdi SE BM 4wd. Reflex Silver. Winter pack, mirror pack, rear curtains, cruise
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

#7 OFFLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 13238 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

After I was run into at a crossing earlier this year I fitted a RoadHawk unit to the car.

Fit and forget. Comes on when engine started, off when stopped (or can be set to record when parked).

Works great.

I'd imagine it records a certain number of minutes/hours on an SD card and then retapes over itself much like a "black box". Posted Image

Previous: 2018 R-Line 4MO in Platinum Grey Metallic with Two Tone Saffrano Orange and Black Interior.

Previous: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package. .
Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) post-3541-0-50538200-1530623199.gif Member of the ROFC.

#8 OFFLINE   Sussex Pete

Sussex Pete

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

Works great.

Have you got one installed in your Tig Woodmaster? Just thinking that the windscreen in front of my rear view mirror has got an opaque area that would limit the visibility of a camera - or all recordings would have a spotty overlay :unsure: :whistle:

2010 R Line 140TDI Auto in candy white with leather trim / heated seats / panoramic roof / sat nav / bluetooth prep / detachable tow bar / dual climate / Bi-Xenons w/cornering lights / auto lights, wipers, interior mirror / carpet mats & rubber mats / F/R park sensors / park assist / R Line MFSW / (sorry VW, but you "screwed up")

#9 OFFLINE   Woodmaster

Woodmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

Have you got one installed in your Tig Woodmaster? Just thinking that the windscreen in front of my rear view mirror has got an opaque area that would limit the visibility of a camera - or all recordings would have a spotty overlay :unsure: :whistle:

Yes I have.
The bracket sticks to the windscreen on the spotty bit and the unit sits below it. I've wired mine into an ignition controlled fuse.

I have a 16gb SD card in and it records in 1 minute files continuously until the card is full then erases the oldest. Holds about 40 hrs I think. It's all viewable on the PC.
Tiguan 2.0 Tdi SE BM 4wd. Reflex Silver. Winter pack, mirror pack, rear curtains, cruise
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

#10 OFFLINE   Sussex Pete

Sussex Pete

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Yes I have.
The bracket sticks to the windscreen on the spotty bit and the unit sits below it. I've wired mine into an ignition controlled fuse.

I have a 16gb SD card in and it records in 1 minute files continuously until the card is full then erases the oldest. Holds about 40 hrs I think. It's all viewable on the PC.

Looks like that's the one. Thanks for your inputs Woodmaster

#11 OFFLINE   Pedestrian A

Pedestrian A

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

No offense but £199.94 for that non HD Road Hawk is not the best choice. I paid about CAD$220 for the Blackvue shipped to Canada including custom duties.
Vancouver, BC Canada
2011 Trendline 4Motion

#12 OFFLINE   madscientist

madscientist

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • My Tiguan:2017 SEL 4motion 190PS DSG DCC
  • Additional Location Information::Crofton, West Yorkshire

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

My research says Blackvue is the best external device available - also that overheating issues of earalier models have been significantly addressed in later models.  However, since I have specified Lane Assist in our Tiguan currently on order it would be so much better if there was a way of tapping into the factory installed rear view mirror camera to record the footage.

Has anyone looked into that possibility?  For example, can the data be extracted from the CanBus?

Phil

2017 Tiguan 4motion SEL TDI, 190PS DSG in pure white. Options: Dynamic Chassis, Keyless with full electric tailgate, TPMS, Park Assist with rear view camera, Heated Rear Seats, electric towbar.
2017 Pennine Pathfinder.

#13 OFFLINE   madscientist

madscientist

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

Well, no answers so far to that one.  Now I have the Tig I can see what space there is behind the rear-view-mirror - and a dashcam would certainly fit.  BUT, and this is a big but, I don't want a cable dangling down the screen so discrete and neat hiding of the power lead would be a must.  has anyone installed a dash cam (Roadhawk, Blackvue or similar) and how did you hide the cable?

BTW I am now vearing towards the Roadhawk HD - same price range as Blackvue but does not have a history of overheating problems beset by Blackvue. Anyone got any views?

Phil

2017 Tiguan 4motion SEL TDI, 190PS DSG in pure white. Options: Dynamic Chassis, Keyless with full electric tailgate, TPMS, Park Assist with rear view camera, Heated Rear Seats, electric towbar.
2017 Pennine Pathfinder.

#14 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4659 posts
  • My Tiguan:2020 white 2.0 TDI DSG R Line
  • Additional Location Information::N W Kent the Garden of England

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hi madscientist I have just checked the reviews on the DVR-027 and for the money it comes out quite well

http://www.ebay.co.u...r-/130455460442

it might be worth considering as a cheaper alternative IMHO.

Mick

N.W. Kent England2018 Tiguan Mk2 2.0 TSI DSG SEL deep black pearl, Slash cut exhaust tips, chrome Mirror covers, front wing embellishes, Stainless tail gate trim. 2010 Black 2.0 TDI DSG, 4Motion, Match P/X'd2010 Black EOS SE 140 TDI DSG<p> Member of the OFC

#15 OFFLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 13238 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

Well, no answers so far to that one.  Now I have the Tig I can see what space there is behind the rear-view-mirror - and a dashcam would certainly fit.  BUT, and this is a big but, I don't want a cable dangling down the screen so discrete and neat hiding of the power lead would be a must.  has anyone installed a dash cam (Roadhawk, Blackvue or similar) and how did you hide the cable?

BTW I am now vearing towards the Roadhawk HD - same price range as Blackvue but does not have a history of overheating problems beset by Blackvue. Anyone got any views?

One suggestion here on the Vortex and another to try looking on YouTube >>> http://forums.vwvort...shboard cameras .

Good Luck!

#16 OFFLINE   Pedestrian A

Pedestrian A

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

I now use Abee V31 instead of Blackvue DR400 on the Tiguan because I can't tell when does that stupid Blackvue overheat without the screen.  Hiding the cable isn't that hard because the gap between the windshield and the headliner and A pillar do the job with some help of electrical tape.  Keep hiding the cable under the glovebox and just plug the power thing into the 12V outlet in the centre of the dash.  The only thing I missed from Blackvue is parking mode.

Vancouver, BC Canada
2011 Trendline 4Motion

#17 OFFLINE   madscientist

madscientist

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for that. However, I do not want a camera with a screen - they are much to bulky and the suction mount is ugly and again, too big.  The Blackvue 380/400 do have a reputation for overheating but I understand the 500 is much better - it has extra cooling holes. So, the Abee is NOT for me.

I am still torn between Roadhawk HD and Blackvue 500.  They are top end in price but are more discreet and offer the best features and software.  Research continues. Any more views welcome.

Phil

2017 Pennine Pathfinder.

#18 OFFLINE   neg

neg

• PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • My Tiguan:R-Line 4Motion DSG 7speed

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

I got one of these after some numpty tried making run into the back of him for no other reason that what I can see was the green eyes monster - just slammed the brakes on.

http://www.mi-witnes...CFYTItAodE3kAOg

Not actually fitted it yet but plan to soon.

#19 OFFLINE   madscientist

madscientist

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

That looks a bit like a Blackvue - certainly a contender. Would like to see some pictures when you have installed in your car. Seems to come well recommended in UK. That one is now on the shortlist! Thanks.

Phil

2017 Pennine Pathfinder.

#20 OFFLINE   neg

neg

• PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • My Tiguan:R-Line 4Motion DSG 7speed

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

I looked at them all and this was the best all rounder - the iPhone app is due out very soon (waiting for Apple to put it on the store) and you can add the rear camera if you wanted.

I can see more and more of these being used in the future on UK roads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.