dougie175

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • My Tiguan:Audi A6 2.0 TDi BE
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::Kendal - Cumbria

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:43 AM

Thought I best start a bit of a build thread as no matter what car I buy I always end up spending all my money, time and effort on it! Comes as part of the job I guess being a qulified painted for 10 years now a qualified vehicle damage assessor and bodyshop manager in a VW Approved bodyshop

Bit of back story I have been "tastefully" modifying cars since I started driving 14 years ago, admittedly some of the early cars were not actually that tasteful but as I have matured so have my car builds, my last one was a Lexus IS F-Sport which is a car I absolutely adored it was everything I could ask for from a car and in my opinion I had created the best looking one in the country. The car certainly didn't look like this before I started:

gallery_105394_1658_41686.jpg
gallery_105394_1658_73499.jpg
gallery_105394_1658_382.jpg

gallery_105394_1658_226870.jpg

gallery_105394_1658_128827.jpg
gallery_105394_1658_51432.jpggallery_105394_1658_57613.jpg

9 months ago things all changed for me with the birth of my first little baby girl and although we coped with the Lexus it really was far from ideal until 4 weeks ago when a customer brought their Tiguan R-Line 177 DSG into work for some repair work and said they are packing up driving and asked my advice on selling the car, I explained it would be an ideal car for myself and my family to which they made me an offer I couldn't refuse so 2 days later I had a Tiguan in my possession!

I have always been a fan of the Tiguan and owning 1 for 3 weeks now has only emphasised how good these cars are, couple of things I haven't liked so far but I am slowly sorting these out

First problem was the lack of cruise control, so I purchased a cruise control kit and a trip to an old friend with VCDS and the cruise control was up and running, along with large mph display and needle celebrations

The main thing which has annoyed me from the second I started driving the car was stop/start on a DSG it is awful! We tried to remove with via VCDS however didn't manage so a quick module purchased from ebay and installed into the car and the car now remembers what setting the stop/start was left on upon starting the engine so it is left off most of the time apart from if I am in slow moving traffic when my engine is warm where I will turn it back on.

Next up was a little body modification, the rear bumper splitter seems very lost to me on a black car being black plastic so decided to paint it in a replica aluminium paint to match the roof rails and door moulding. Really happy with how it has turned out and really lifts the rear end without looking out of place

gallery_105394_1658_63831.jpggallery_105394_1658_123681.jpg

Haven't actually taken any decent photos of the vehicle yet but will get some good photos of the vehicle soon and take lots of photos of future progress on the car.

Attached Files

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 04:26 AM

#2 OFFLINE   Shaun170

Shaun170

myTiguan Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 SE 140 DSG 4Motion
  • Additional Location Information::Surrey

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:13 PM

Looking forward to your thread and updates. The stop start annoys me too not remembering what it was set to prior to turning off. What's the module change you refer to?

I was following an R line the other day and thought that the rear splitter would look much better in silver.....and yours does
2013 2.0L SE 4Motion DSG in Silver Leaf Metalic Full black heated leather Satnav DAB Blutooth Park assist Reversing camera Powerfold mirrors off of key fob with LED puddle lights Rear footwell lights LED interior lights LED Door puddle lights Big digital speedo Needle sweep on ignition Bumper under run guards Mudflaps Bonnet struts Retrofit DSG steering wheel & Cruise Control Full electric tailgate with foot kick kit and Sharan dash button Mk7 Golf climate panel

#3 OFFLINE   dougie175

dougie175

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

Looking forward to your thread and updates. The stop start annoys me too not remembering what it was set to prior to turning off. What's the module change you refer to?

I was following an R line the other day and thought that the rear splitter would look much better in silver.....and yours does

Thanks, yeah really happy with the silver splitter it really sets the rear end off in my opinion without looking out of place, always aim to make all my modifications look like they could have been completed by the manufacturer

As for the module I purchased this http://www.ebay.co.u...872.m2749.l2649 was here within 2 days, about 15 minutes to install and works a treat very simple modification that just works.

#4 OFFLINE   dougie175

dougie175

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:02 PM

Small update, had a few hours spare this weekend so have removed all the arches, removed all the double sided glue residue from the car where the arches were and residue from the arches themselves, ready for sanding priming and colour coding this week!

Decided to also give the car a full Bilt Hamber Auto Foam wash everywhere including the arches to clean up behind the arches. I will slowly detail this car back to immaculate condition inside and out 

gallery_105394_1658_150497.jpg

Attached Files

#5 OFFLINE   dougie175

dougie175

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:57 PM

Arches all painted and fitted back on the car, really happy with the look now compared to the plastic arches before.

I then gave the car a good wash as tomorrow morning I will be paying a visit to Pendle Performance for a bit of tuning work!

gallery_105394_1658_67624.jpg

gallery_105394_1658_138479.jpg

gallery_105394_1658_62344.jpg

gallery_105394_1658_176069.jpg

gallery_105394_1658_134992.jpg

Attached Files

#6 OFFLINE   EddieK

EddieK

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • My Tiguan:BMT Match 177 DSG 4Motion

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:27 PM

I like the look of your Tig! :twoup: 

#7 OFFLINE   dougie175

dougie175

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

I like the look of your Tig! :twoup:

Thanks, I am thinking a set of running boards will work well with the silver / black theme I have going on. Just waiting for a good condition set of genuine ones to come up on eBay for sensible money

#8 OFFLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 12287 posts
  • My Tiguan:2018 - 2.0TSI R-Line
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Montreal, Quebec

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:41 PM

A very fine example of a rockin' shiny blue Tig. :twoup: :twoup:

OD

Current: 2018 R-Line 4MO in Platinum Grey Metallic with Two Tone Saffrano Orange and Black Interior. Driver Assistance Package (Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Traffic Alert, Lane Assist, Light Assist, Rear Cam with Area View 360 and Remote Start). R-Line Package (19" Trenton Alloys, Heated Steering Wheel, R-Line Door Aluminium Sill Plates and Stainless Steel Pedals). Pics >>> https://www.mytiguan...ew-2018-r-line/ .

Previous: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package. .
Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.
The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Map: https://www.mytiguan...></span></span>
VCDS Members' Locator Map: https://www.zeemaps....=53.883275&z=15

Glossary of Abbreviations: https://www.mytiguan...-abbreviations/

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) post-3541-0-50538200-1530623199.gif Member of the ROFC.

#9 OFFLINE   EddieK

EddieK

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:35 PM

I previously had a 2008 Freelander2 HSE,and did a few mods,such as:upgrading alloy wheels,colour-coding door handles and door mirrors,LED light upgrades,interior and exterior,changing badges from standard gold/green to silver/black.I also upgraded halogen headlight bulbs,changed the side indicator repeaters from orange to clear glass,and also the rear high brake light from the standard red to clear as in later models.I am a bit stumped with the Tig,as there doesn't seem to be  much available,or am I not looking in the right place?

#10 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4417 posts
  • My Tiguan:Mk2 SEL DSG 2.0 TSI in Black
  • Additional Location Information::N W Kent the Garden of England

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:27 PM

I previously had a 2008 Freelander2 HSE,and did a few mods,such as:upgrading alloy wheels,colour-coding door handles and door mirrors,LED light upgrades,interior and exterior,changing badges from standard gold/green to silver/black.I also upgraded halogen headlight bulbs,changed the side indicator repeaters from orange to clear glass,and also the rear high brake light from the standard red to clear as in later models.I am a bit stumped with the Tig,as there doesn't seem to be  much available,or am I not looking in the right place?

Have a look in some of the mod threads you will find loads of things that can be modified.

Mick

N.W. Kent England2018 Tiguan Mk2 2.0 TSI DSG SEL deep black pearl, Slash cut exhaust tips, chrome Mirror covers, front wing embellishes, Stainless tail gate trim. 2010 Black 2.0 TDI DSG, 4Motion, Match P/X'd2010 Black EOS SE 140 TDI DSG<p> Member of the OFC

#11 OFFLINE   dougie175

dougie175

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

As mentioned take look through a few of the builds on here there is some great work going on / already completed to Tiguan's

Another thing to remember a lot of modifications can be completed across the complete VW range and as the Golf or A3 are about the most commonly modified car's in the UK there should be no lack of mods you can take inspiration from and make work on the Tiguan.

I guess the best place to start would be what on your Tiguan do you dislike the most or should I say feels needs a bit of sprucing up? Then take a look at what options are available to improve that area of the car. 

#12 OFFLINE   dougie175

dougie175

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

Had a week of work this last week so have mostly been looking after my little girl but can confirm the remap completed by Pendle Performance is fantastic, the power delivery is amazing, the car has gone from what I would describe from "nippy" to actually a fairly fast car, still far from a race car but lots of fun and very capable. The engine also seems slightly quieter? Maybe that's just in my head though! As for fuel economy its very difficult to say when you first have a car remapped and keep playing with the power however the next few weeks / months will tell as I drive to and from wok each day and see if the economy has changed.

I have also been investing in some additional In Car Entertainment equipment to try and improve the stereo, after reading lots of topics on Tiguan's stereos it appears it is commonly knowledge that this is 1 of the weakest areas of the Tiguan which really surprised me as I get in a lot of VWG cars at work and they usually always have fantastic standard stereos, especially the Audi's

I am hoping for senesible money and create a much better sound system in the car that has the premium sound that car deserves.

If anyone has any tips for areas of the Tiguan that really need improvement to get the most from the sound system please let me know, I am not after ear bleeding volumes or anything silly like that just very crisp, clear and full sounding music at low to medium volumes.

#13 OFFLINE   dougie175

dougie175

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

Another quick update, the last couple of weeks I have been concentrating on improving the sound system in the car but whilst doing that I have had to pull a few dash trims off here and there so decided it was a good idea to complete another little mod I was planning in the form of spraying the trims gloss black.

I have never been a fan of the grey colour VW used on the Tiguan dash it didn't work for me when I first set eyes on it and it has only dated and looked worse in my opinion since, VW have a bit of a gloss black thing going on at the moment on their dashes so decide to try and modernise the dash plastics.

These are the trims I will be re-spraying:

gallery_105394_1658_39104.jpg

Rubbed down prepped and ready for paint:

gallery_105394_1658_65690.jpg

Painted:

gallery_105394_1658_135705.jpg

Fitted and looking much better in my opinion they don't look out of place and the gloss black goes really well with the inner original gloss black from my RNS 315 stereo:

gallery_105394_1658_28816.jpg

gallery_105394_1658_48171.jpg

gallery_105394_1658_16260.jpg

Attached Files

#14 OFFLINE   EddieK

EddieK

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:06 AM

The gloss black panels look really good. :twoup: 

Did you use any particular paint?

#15 OFFLINE   dougie175

dougie175

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

The gloss black panels look really good. :twoup:

Did you use any particular paint?

Thanks, I'm really happy with them, the interior instantly feels more modern. I think a set of the newer style climatronic controls will also help modernise the interior further too.

As far as paint goes, I just use some old 2k direct gloss black paint it has a nice hard finish. Any exterior car paint with a 2k lacquer over the top will be fine though, just need to make sure to only apply thin coats and as little paint as possible to achieve a glass finish and coverage as using too heavier coat would create a build up around the edges of the stereo and blower holes and looks awful.

#16 OFFLINE   Shaun170

Shaun170

myTiguan Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 SE 140 DSG 4Motion
  • Additional Location Information::Surrey

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:51 PM

Nice job. What a difference, like you say, looks standard but more modern.
2013 2.0L SE 4Motion DSG in Silver Leaf Metalic Full black heated leather Satnav DAB Blutooth Park assist Reversing camera Powerfold mirrors off of key fob with LED puddle lights Rear footwell lights LED interior lights LED Door puddle lights Big digital speedo Needle sweep on ignition Bumper under run guards Mudflaps Bonnet struts Retrofit DSG steering wheel & Cruise Control Full electric tailgate with foot kick kit and Sharan dash button Mk7 Golf climate panel

#17 OFFLINE   n4s

n4s

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts
  • My Tiguan:Sport TDI auto 2009
  • Where are you located?:Portugal

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:57 PM

Many years ago vw created golf plus collectors edition and your car made me remember it.

http://www.automobil...-edition_03.jpg

#18 OFFLINE   dougie175

dougie175

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:35 PM

Many years ago vw created golf plus collectors edition and your car made me remember it.

http://www.automobil...-edition_03.jpg

Good find on the image! Its handy as I was thinking of doing the climatronic surround gloss black like that once I get the new climatronice and surround so may run with that as I think it will work well

#19 OFFLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 12287 posts
  • My Tiguan:2018 - 2.0TSI R-Line
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Montreal, Quebec

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:40 PM

Yep, exactly the same look. Good job dougie! :twoup: :twoup:

OD

Current: 2018 R-Line 4MO in Platinum Grey Metallic with Two Tone Saffrano Orange and Black Interior. Driver Assistance Package (Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Traffic Alert, Lane Assist, Light Assist, Rear Cam with Area View 360 and Remote Start). R-Line Package (19" Trenton Alloys, Heated Steering Wheel, R-Line Door Aluminium Sill Plates and Stainless Steel Pedals). Pics >>> https://www.mytiguan...ew-2018-r-line/ .

Previous: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package. .
Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.
The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Map: https://www.mytiguan...></span></span>
VCDS Members' Locator Map: https://www.zeemaps....=53.883275&z=15

Glossary of Abbreviations: https://www.mytiguan...-abbreviations/

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) post-3541-0-50538200-1530623199.gif Member of the ROFC.

#20 OFFLINE   Naresh

Naresh

myTiguan Pro

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • My Tiguan:R Line 2.0TDI 170 DSG

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:09 PM

That looks awesome, are the trim parts easy to pull off? Are they simply clicked in?

2011 R Line 140 DSG ( RIP :( , Gone but not forgotten )

2016 R Line 184 DSG ( mods, pics and more mods to come :) )

Based in Birmingham, UK

TigAvatar3_zps116a1c69.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.