Iggy's Makeover/ OEM+ Mods and More! - Page 4 - Modifications & 'How to' Guides - myTiguan Forum

Photo

Iggy's Makeover/ OEM+ Mods and More!

• Please log in to reply
694 replies to this topic

#61 ONLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5386 posts
  • My Tiguan:2017 TSi R-Line (3rd Tiguan)
  • Where are you located?:New Zealand
  • Additional Location Information::Alexandra, Central Otago

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:06 AM

I can't say for the latest one but the original off-road (2008) which I had maintained the 50/50 drive rather than "locking up" as such. You can't really lock up a Haldex system as it has clutches in it !! The 50/50 used to come off at a given speed unless the system determined it was still the correct ratio.
Derek

OFC member (Old Farts Club)
3xTC member (3 times Tiguan Club)
Alexandra
New Zealand
http://www.alexandra.co.nz/
2017 TSi R-Line, full leds, leather, Discovery Pro, adaptive cruise, adaptive chassis etc etc.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 03:31 AM

#62 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1429 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 Tiguan SE+ 4 Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::Skagit County, Washington State

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for the clarification, I was getting confused what it actually did and the post a few posts ago cleared up what exactly he OFF Road feature does.  I am still going for it, I just need to get the button panel with the Traction COntrol, Off Road and Set for now..just need to find a good source for it and when I am able again I can wire it up and code both the OR and Set Buttons in..  Ill get the Parking butting when I get a chance to do the parking sensors, But I found on the front the center 2 flank the plate the outer 2 go into the lower valence.  see how many radios I can finish up so I can do this, my modding fun is totally dry after the trip to the hospital..

Stiguan4Motion has confirmed I am unable to do Hill Hold, but as far as I read the Off Road feature should work without it.. so if I do any mod that's next and when I remove the glove box again, I will run 4 more wires out to the computer and do the button area so when I finally get to it its a lot easier..

Like I said a few posts ago, I am down and out for a while, I will be getting things done but at a lot slower pace for a bit..  but Ill be happy to have these done ASAP because they are necessary in my books even if I just get the drivers door light done, and the front footwells installed..

It will be what it will be, I am just wanting warmer weather and daylight saving to kick in, seems like my best times are 4pm to 9-10pm.. when I feel able to work.. Just wish I had a safe place to park when things are torn apart, so I can pace myself.. but my arrangements now I have  my spot in the driveway, and another uncovered area and with all this rain, (14" this year already) and no sign of it letting up anytime soon, I can focus on what my Docs have in store for me for a bit..

Located: Skagit County, Washington State, USA

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

Mod list now on my profile

OEM+ OR BUST..

Find me on Instagram @IggyTheTiggy

#63 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1429 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:05 AM

Wonder if its any good, would take care of another huge item I want, uses the oem bracket, and no different windshield, or RLS needed..dammit, hate finding stuff when my pots dry.  sold something on Ebay the other night and they are holding my money for 15 days, since its been over 90 days since my last sale, and I changed my screen name.

http://www.ebay.com/...ZBWKEYZ&vxp=mtr

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE+, 4 Motion, Night Blue Metallic, Black and Anthracite Interior

OEM+ OR BUST..

#64 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1429 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

well found out if I go this route its a bit cheaper, and it seems like many have had luck with them..

http://www.aliexpres...c9-4d64772ee974

an auto mirror without all the extras

http://www.ebay.com/...ZBWKEYZ&vxp=mtr

and possibly this to dress the doors up since I dont have the fancy trim on the panel

http://www.ebay.com/...7tV~9v4&vxp=mtr

why must all the interesting things pop up now..

OEM+ OR BUST..

#65 OFFLINE   Enigma

Enigma

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2456 posts
  • My Tiguan:2011 R Line TDI DSG
  • Additional Location Information::united kingdom

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

The OffRoad button has two smd LEDs on it you would need to solder these I'm not sure if there is anything else built into the switch like a resistor or anything. Also you'll need to add the pins to the PCB, LED legs should do the job with a little flow of solder.

Tiguan R Line, 4Motion with DSG 7Speed, RNS-510, Dual Zone Climate Control, Reversing Camera, Leathers, Convenience Pack, Winter Pack, Mats.

UPGRADES:
Cruise Control, Colour MFD Cluster, Direct Tyre Pressure Monitoring System Via MFD, Fiscon Bluetooth, MDI, LED Number Plate Lights, LED Interior Lights, Reversing Sensors, LED Sidelights, Side Steps, Bonnet Struts, Cornering Fog lights enabled, Door Warning/Puddle Lights, Wing Mirror Puddle Lights, Rear Footwell Lights, Dual Boot Light Plus Centre Boot Light, Dual Rear Fog Lights, 24 Hour Front DRL LED Fog Lights, Driver Assistant System, OffRoad Function, Centre Console Mood Lightings, Grab Handle Mood Lighting & Lane Departure, Forward Collision Warning via Cam.

#66 OFFLINE   Skard

Skard

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • My Tiguan:2.0 140 4Motion '08
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom
  • Additional Location Information::North

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:42 PM

I have retrofitted auto dimming mirrors to cars before, all they need is a 12v and GND l, you usually have a wire to take a reverse light feed so it undims in reverse.

Donnelly make it, in certain Peugeot, Land Rover etc. Issue would be mating it up to your mount.

UK - North.
Tiguan TDI & Audi S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

#67 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1429 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:31 AM

@Skard, yeah, this one only has the 2 wires, hot and ground, and it does stay dimmed in reverse, but a tap of the button it undims.  I just want the feature, without spending tem funds for the oem setup right now. Ill eventually add the RLS, Camera and OEM mirror when I have to replace the windshield.. SO the insurance can pay for the correct windshield with the RLS bracket already in place.

Enigma I guess I dont follow you on the Off ROad button,  I am hoping to find a complete button panel, ESP,OR,PLA,OPS,SET or is what you are saying I wont find one in this configuration, and I will have to make one using a few different panels.. if that's the case I will install a momentary switch under the dash within reach that I can press when I need it, and just get the panel without it with everything else..

Now that we are still trying to sort out the Hill Hold Control, whether I can get it or not, isnt really mattering anymore, I am installing the Auto Brake soon, and since the Off Road does not need Hill Hold, I am sure I am good to go.. And the Auto Button will help my leg out in traffic to auto set the brake in heavy traffic.. I know I can set it each time and it releases with a tap of the throttle, but its easier at times to have it auto set for me..

Blasted rain, wish I had a garage! seems like my good times now are like 7 pm to 5 am. my internal clock is so messed up right now.. I could be working on this stuff right now!  LOL But Id better listen to the Doc and keep resting for a few more days..

OEM+ OR BUST..

#68 OFFLINE   Enigma

Enigma

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2456 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:10 AM

@Skard, yeah, this one only has the 2 wires, hot and ground, and it does stay dimmed in reverse, but a tap of the button it undims. I just want the feature, without spending tem funds for the oem setup right now. Ill eventually add the RLS, Camera and OEM mirror when I have to replace the windshield.. SO the insurance can pay for the correct windshield with the RLS bracket already in place.

Enigma I guess I dont follow you on the Off ROad button, I am hoping to find a complete button panel, ESP,OR,PLA,OPS,SET or is what you are saying I wont find one in this configuration, and I will have to make one using a few different panels.. if that's the case I will install a momentary switch under the dash within reach that I can press when I need it, and just get the panel without it with everything else..

Now that we are still trying to sort out the Hill Hold Control, whether I can get it or not, isnt really mattering anymore, I am installing the Auto Brake soon, and since the Off Road does not need Hill Hold, I am sure I am good to go.. And the Auto Button will help my leg out in traffic to auto set the brake in heavy traffic.. I know I can set it each time and it releases with a tap of the throttle, but its easier at times to have it auto set for me..

Blasted rain, wish I had a garage! seems like my good times now are like 7 pm to 5 am. my internal clock is so messed up right now.. I could be working on this stuff right now! LOL But Id better listen to the Doc and keep resting for a few more days..

Oh ok I thought you could only source a four button panel that's why I said that and for some reason thought you where not going to use OPS lol!

Tiguan R Line, 4Motion with DSG 7Speed, RNS-510, Dual Zone Climate Control, Reversing Camera, Leathers, Convenience Pack, Winter Pack, Mats.

UPGRADES:
Cruise Control, Colour MFD Cluster, Direct Tyre Pressure Monitoring System Via MFD, Fiscon Bluetooth, MDI, LED Number Plate Lights, LED Interior Lights, Reversing Sensors, LED Sidelights, Side Steps, Bonnet Struts, Cornering Fog lights enabled, Door Warning/Puddle Lights, Wing Mirror Puddle Lights, Rear Footwell Lights, Dual Boot Light Plus Centre Boot Light, Dual Rear Fog Lights, 24 Hour Front DRL LED Fog Lights, Driver Assistant System, OffRoad Function, Centre Console Mood Lightings, Grab Handle Mood Lighting & Lane Departure, Forward Collision Warning via Cam.

#69 OFFLINE   Stiguan4Motion

Stiguan4Motion

myTiguan Expert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • My Tiguan:2016 SE 4Motion
  • Additional Location Information::SoCal

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:32 PM

The Toyota Active Torque Control & Dynamic Torque Control also have clutches in them, just like a Haldex coupling.  But, Toyota designed into it, their "Lock" button, which locks it at 60:40 (Active Torque Control) or 50:50 (Dynamic Torque Control) up to about 25 mph.

I can't say for the latest one but the original off-road (2008) which I had maintained the 50/50 drive rather than "locking up" as such. You can't really lock up a Haldex system as it has clutches in it !! The 50/50 used to come off at a given speed unless the system determined it was still the correct ratio.

Current: 2016 SE 4Motion/ Gen 1 EA888 2.0T (CCTA)/ 6-speed Tiptronic

Mods: APR Stage 1| DDM Ultra 5500K D3S| VCDS Tweaks| Neuspeed intake with AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter| Neuspeed RsE012 18" wheels | DDM interior LEDs

Past: 2008 Passat 2.0T 6MT, 2002 Golf TDI 5MT, 1988.5 Toyota Camry V6 5MT, 1984 Corolla 3AT

VCDS HEX+CAN Located in Orange County, California

#70 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1429 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:55 AM

All good info.. I have been learning a lot, lately.  I actually was hoping I could find a nice lower milage V6 TDI Toureg, but they were way out of my price range for the under 30k miles I wanted.  I really wanted a standard Transfer case, but for what I need and the type of driving I do, AWD is the best bang for the buck in my area.  Did a lot of research how AWD is superior in wet conditions VW and Subaru were chart toppers for equality with 4 Motion losing out by a hair to Subaru's Symmetrical AWD.  The Subi only needs one tire to get grip, and can pull the car up a ramp with 3 wheels freewheeling. the VW struggles, but will only do if if EDLs are installed and even then it struggled. Toyota, Honda and Ford all failed even when 2 tires had grip.  Chevy didnt even pass round one. So I stuck to my roots and got another VW, plus with the Diesel Scandal going VW gave me 2500 over book on my TDI to the Tiguan, and I am not heartbroken one bit..  My Dad is even jealous. hes been borrowing it to do some errands, since it rides better then his ElCamino we built as his Retirement rig. His back is bad like mine and a vehicle that I can get in and out of easier and more comfortable outweighs 42 Mpgs anyday

Anyway Back on topic..  Forgot to say Saturday my box of tinting films showed up.. I got Grey to tint the front side markers to get them to blend into the blue like I did with the TDI they disappeared, with the black, see how they look with blue, anythings better than Orange..  Why get bothered with having a European nose on the Tiguan, when I can stay legal, and at night the markers still shine bright..

WIN_20160216_00_34_42_Pro_zpsk6kcld3v.jp

Will also be covering the mirror signals with it, why they put the huge things on it is beyond me, I really liked how they integrated it on the Golf into the raised edge and it really disappeared, even being clear..

And if I have enough left I am going to use some to make my own Eyebrow, following the factory edge on the top of the assembly..

Yellow to cover the Fog Light Lenses for that old school Euro Look. 

And Red to cover the amber turn signal that is not used on US Models and too much of a pain to make function proper..  Would have to wire it like the Golf was and figure out the correct coding plus making the sockets work right.. Unless some one has done the conversion and had sucess with it..but thats the nice thing of Lamin-X it can be removed!  

Red will also be used again to try and see if I can make the footwell lighting a bit red during ambient phase, but white on full power of a door opening..

Hoping to get the Alarm and Front footwells done tomorrow..but not making any bets, had a good day today so I just took it easy..

• n4s likes this

OEM+ OR BUST..

#71 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1429 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:05 AM

For my door sound deadening I have came up with my battle plan, the pieces I was sent are 12" wide x 36" long.  and reading up on sound deadening a little bit does a lot, dont need to cover the entire door skin. So I am going to remove the window regulator, and install in the center of the door sideways the 12" wide piece and however long the door is, the remaining i will cut a square out of and place behind where the speaker is, and any remaining scraps will be used wherever I feel is needed or vibration prone..  Reading up that its better to kill it at its source the door skin then to only put it on the regulator, after its been amplified in the door.  and to use Foil tape on the window regulator anywhere there is a hole, seam, or anything that leads to the door. if in the future I want to mut further then I will add a layer of Boom Mat or 3M acoustic foam between the door card and the door.  Talking with a stereo shop that Vw really does a good job under the carpets, but lacks in the Boot, and doors for sound attenuation, and even a layer above the headliner helps..  I am not looking to gain anything on the stereo front, my Big Badda Boom days are long gone, VW makes a great sounding deck for a 40W per channel system.. even if it is a bit trebly but a small resistor to the Tweeter helps. just got to remember what size, helps reduce the awful high pitch, you get listening to classic rock, or even EDM..also helps i am partially deaf  to high pitch..

So for now with the doors open, just some basic, cheap, tar based deadening..

Also have the little strip of weatherstripping coming for between the doors.

on that subject anyone have a link to the right hood weatherstripping, Old Dog?  

Thnaks again

OEM+ OR BUST..

#72 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1429 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:10 PM

For Future Reference..OEM Part Numbers

ESP/ Off Road/ Blank/ Blank/ SET

5N1927137AMXSH_zpsnxogqjif.jpg

ESP/Off Road/ PLA/ OPS/ SET

5N1927137ANXSH_zpshpah4g3e.jpg

OEM+ OR BUST..

#73 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 5649 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

Excellent, thanks!!

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

#74 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1429 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:14 AM

Amazing how just a few items change the appearance, I still have the mirror signals to do, and the taillights to cover the Amber.  once I get the windows tinted, it will even look even better.  Any car I have done the tinting of the fogs just looks better.  hopefully i keep having good days, and I can do a few things daily..

For those who ever Lamin-X Theri own markers, be warned, they fit in the bumper tight, I had to keep trimming the film back til the fit right, then using a hair drier, soften it up a bit, and use my panel tool to help tuck the edge of the film into the bumper.. They might be a bit tight coming back out. eventually they will be color matched to the bumper..

IMG_20160216_165452_zpscejtfqjy.jpg

IMG_20160216_165519_zpslanuyc1h.jpg

My Dad came into my room this morning in a bit of a panic, there was a puddle of something in the bak driveway, and saw another in the front where I park.. Have an oil leak, thankfully after pulling the splash pan, I found the oil drain plug a bit loose, snug but not tight, my guess when it was serviced they used the old crush washer. Snugged it up to proper spec, ni e that its a torx bit, and fingers crossed.  need to pick up a quart of oil at the dealer tomorrow on my way back from appts..  

Hoping I can evict my moms car Saturday in the garage and get the alarm and lights hooked up.. and if I am feeling up to it, maybe attack a door or 2. Hate the feeling of wanting to be done, just don't have the physical capacity right now..

Wish me luck with the doctors tomorrow, hoping for a new battle plan and some new testing..tired of flat out fatigue..

OEM+ OR BUST..

#75 ONLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 12287 posts
  • My Tiguan:2018 - 2.0TSI R-Line
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Montreal, Quebec

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:26 AM

Best of luck at the Doc's tomorrow and a new plan going forward as you have a lot of stuff to do on your Tig.

Take care.

Current: 2018 R-Line 4MO in Platinum Grey Metallic with Two Tone Saffrano Orange and Black Interior. Driver Assistance Package (Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Traffic Alert, Lane Assist, Light Assist, Rear Cam with Area View 360 and Remote Start). R-Line Package (19" Trenton Alloys, Heated Steering Wheel, R-Line Door Aluminium Sill Plates and Stainless Steel Pedals). Pics >>> https://www.mytiguan...ew-2018-r-line/ .

Previous: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package. .
Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.
The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Map: https://www.mytiguan...></span></span>
VCDS Members' Locator Map: https://www.zeemaps....=53.883275&z=15

Glossary of Abbreviations: https://www.mytiguan...-abbreviations/

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) post-3541-0-50538200-1530623199.gif Member of the ROFC.

#76 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1429 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:44 AM

Got my LEDs surprisingly today, along with my smashed to bits Parking brake switch with the auto button..  Well designed, already have their resistor, and pretty bright, I am guessing they are current limited to about 5 volts because I saw noticeable brightness change between 9-13.8 Volts.  I will test one on the dimmer circuit to be sure they will infact dim like the dash.  The current plan is to install one in the upper dash compartment under the HVAC controls, and 2 in the lower bin..  I am going to mock them up and see how they look before drilling any holes..  ANd I need to figure out how the compartments come out..  I am still trying to decide if I want to add any to the door handles, or down in the door storage area and as well as the cup holder.  I did see a thread where someone added a few to the cup holder and hid them under the fingers of the cup holder, his only complaint was a clear drink or water bottle would glow fairly bright in the cup holder, so I am thinking of not doing it, or only use one on the back side shining forward.  and to make up for it to install 2 on the overhead console like some VWs have to light up the entire console from above, but ill modify the holder so it hols the bulb back inside a bit more to prevent any line of sight issues in the dark, or find a way to make them fiberoptic style for a more diffused light..Open for ideas.  I was supposed to get, clear flush mount lenses the bulbs popped into, but he said he just hasnt updated the pic yet, and if I had read the description it was said these are a revision change and have socket holders.. 

I was shipped 20 of these, so if anyone stateside wants a few I can toos them in an envelope, and send them off to you 

received_10205552427793829_zpsqt9wvf3q.j

received_10205552433873981_zpsczwgo3rc.j

received_10205552434273991_zpsyclq9gpb.j

• n4s likes this

OEM+ OR BUST..

#77 OFFLINE   Enigma

Enigma

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2456 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:40 AM

Getting them out is easier when you can see ;) links
http://www.mytiguan....le-mood-lights/

http://www.mytiguan....control-pocket/

UPGRADES:

#78 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1429 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for the Links Enigma, that makes it quick for me, I like your method using the footwell lights, but that was a bit more work then I wanted, and I just wanted clean and simple, using LEDs, that should just hide in there when done.. Great job on yours..hoping 2 in the big, one in the small, and 2 overhead will do the trick, drilling out the 2 on the overhead will be nerve racking.  can you give me a shot of the factory porthole lights on yours with a quick measurements? I actually do own a metric tape if thats all you have, just looking for rough idea where they are. and if I remember correct, vws sockets are not square, I do believe they hold the bulb at an angle, but thats nothing I can do.. Maybe I should hunt for an older overhead console out of a Golf..

I remembered seeing how to get them out, but forgot they were in your DIYs for mood lighting.. ANd I am curious to see if I have the lighting wire to the 12V/ Lighter, mine does not have the lighted ring around the one hidden in the storage box since I have standard Ignition, but looks like you were the same, so I will hope.  since I am using really tiny wires I am hoping I can pop the pins out and dap a bit of solder on the back of the connector, slide over a small pice of shrink tube and make a connection, not bothering the harness at all..I also dislike dodgy connections, and use solder any chance I can. Posi-Taps that screw on are good on medium wire but stink on fine and large wire. I ve had the split small wires and on large wire just destroy the connector twisting it together with pliers to make it secure.. Solder and heat shrink it is!

I got a few hours of sleep before inspiration hit me, I didn't like the harsh spot light look to the LEDS in the dark, I was thinking of numerous ways to soften the light up and make more of a flood light out of them, I thought of using some clear acrylic tubing and going fiberoptic but then it hit me, the LEDS are clear, they are plastic..and I broke out my hobby sanding block and sanded the LED tip from round to flat, essentially taking off a 1/16" so it sat in the bottom of the holder..

well a bit more modding of the bulb holder..netted me this, so they are as flush as possible, while still being a good retainer and making a clean hole, and easy replacement if need be..

IMG_20160217_040933_zpsoogjrhog.jpg

IMG_20160217_040907_zpst8plpvyn.jpg

Much better, now in the dark, my eye will not see the edge of the LED at all and it will be safely recessed in the socket. a dab of hot glue like many, will hold the LED in place semi-permanently.  

Now for the dark test, and Damn what a difference, exactly what I was after, no more harsh light with little flooding to a nice soft red..the bright spot is unseen to the naked eye, cameras pic up IR better then we can, so to me its a total soft red..  Same reason you can point a TV remote to a camera and see the IR LED blink when you press buttons and not with no camera.

IMG_20160217_040845_zpsa1cc4xvd.jpg

now as well I am making a harness while thinking ahead and will run some wires down to the cup holder area with excess but cap it off for now, till I can remove the console and add the cup holder lights if I chose too.  I will also tap into the overhead switch lighting to add the porthole lighting overhead. this should allow me to see the console and the cup holders in the dark, so the cup holder ones may be never needed, but I might add one to illuminate the small storage in the console to see the 12v port in there to plug in my phone. either way the extended wires will get used.

I am still on the fence of adding any to the doors. with more thought if I ever needed to remove the panels in the future, or someone else, id have to use some quick connects, and I hate then with small wire so the panel could be removed. but for 2 LEDS I would have. One for the door pull and one for the door cup holder, this might just be a pass for me..

*Edit*

A bit more modding of the led holder and I am happy that they will be as flush as possible and still retain the led..

IMG_20160217_075503_zpsatdxltqw.jpg

Unmodded left, modded right.. mush better. a few drops of superglue or hot glue should hold them in place solid..  Now to tear apart the dash, someday anyway.  still waiting on my Brown and red 20 ga wire from amazon to show up for my footwell lighting, and should be plenty for these as well..

IMG_20160217_075452_zpsgnovamvw.jpg

OEM+ OR BUST..

#79 OFFLINE   IggytheTiggy

IggytheTiggy

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1429 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:04 PM

Looking again at your DIY Enigma, I think I will pass on Door lighting, I don't really understand the LEDs you used, and how you said you used 2-6 LEDS per clear housing. But I see you made your own harness with a OEM looking connector, that was a nice touch, just a bit more involved then I can get at this point for the doors..  

My LEDs are 5 watts each and I think if I did the door pulls they would be far too bright, and I am fearing they might be for the storage as well, I am trying to match brightness of the dash lighting almost to the T.. I have some 1 watt resistors, and might play around with a few of the extras and dummy some up and see what they will be light at full dash brightness, and see what voltage they are really at between dim and bright, see if they are actually getting 13V or even 9 Volts or if canbus, is sending like 5 volts out to them..time to dig and play a bit, I can easily pop out the headlight switch and reach my finger in and pop out the dimmer.

Reminds me, I might add one to the lower knee glove box, since I actually use it.  I will be doing a mod to it as well this sping, as well as the main glove box and adding the fuzzy texture to the inside like all other VWs have..  I have a product called Flock it, I did my Golfs driver dash cubby sine I got it used, and it was all scratched up inside, and when I was done, everyone thought it was OEM and wanted to know where I got it, didnt believe I did it myself.. Its a simple yet very time consuming product to use, but give it a nice fuzzy sound deadening quality when done.. Just have to see if I can separate the glove box down to just the door to make it easy..

Stay tuned, because the way my brain works I always think of more, and the saying is true, a project is never finished..and this being my last car for a long time, and sadly maybe my last car, I am doing it all, and going all out.. THe nice thing is if I do have to stop driving, my folks have agreed to sell their car and buyout what I have in mine and take over payments. so the Tig will essentially, be with me for a very long time.. 

OEM+ OR BUST..

#80 OFFLINE   Enigma

Enigma

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2456 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:36 PM

Hi thanks that was strip LEDs and just the diffuser clear lens, I've found a link to the submarine lights the middle of the LEDs should be where the switches separate so you should easily be able to put the holes in let me know http://www.mytiguan....e-lights/page-2

UPGRADES:

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)
mytiguan.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on mytiguan.com is generated by its users. mytiguan.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.