#1 OFFLINE   smipx013

smipx013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have had my new Tiguan Sport 2.0 TDI Auto for 3 days now and am generally very pleased with it however today (for the first time) I am noticing a dreadful drone / booming / Engine vibration at 1400-1600RPM only. It happens in all of the gears especially when cruising at teh said RPM. Is I drive in D most of the time it always selects the lowest gear it can and therefore when I'm travelling along at a constant lowish (10-40Mph) speed it always seems to settle in a gear at 1500 RPM and therefore, while it is only at this RPM it is pretty frequent.

I am going to take it in to the service department as it is driving me mad. Has anyone else experienced this? I have checked for loose and fallen off parts under the bonnet but it all seems pretty tight. This happens when all the windows are shut.

any ideas.

thanks
Paul
Paul
UK 2010 model Tiguan 2.0 Tdi (140ps) Auto Sport
Leather Seats, 2 Zone Climate, Pano Roof, Park Assist, RCD510

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• MyTiguan.com

#2 OFFLINE   DurhamGeorge

DurhamGeorge

myTiguan Pro

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:21 PM

I have a 2.0 Manual Sport, 2008 with 8K miles when purchased and it used to happen at about 1200 rpm on mine. Now covered just over 10K and no vibration. Maybe just a settling in thing :?
George
OFC

Trimdon Station
County Durham
England

2008 140TDI Sport, Manual in Reflex Silver

#3 OFFLINE   smipx013

smipx013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:36 AM

Hi,

Thats really usefult to know George. If it is going to go away then I can live with it temporarily. Next time im passing a dealer I'll pop in and ask them to look at it.

Thanks
Paul

ps. I noticed that the cold air coming into my glove box (i've checked that the vent is fully open) is very weak. Not really enough to cool bottles down. Is your's the same? If not then I will create a seperate post for this one. Other than that - I love the car.
Paul

#4 OFFLINE   JJJ

JJJ

• 195 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:58 AM

Hi alphanumeric,

Regarding your PS, there is a series of posts, initiated by Rocc on 1 Dec 2008 under A/C Cooled Glovebox, which may be of use.

JJJ

#5 OFFLINE   smipx013

smipx013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

Hi alphanumeric,

Regarding your PS, there is a series of posts, initiated by Rocc on 1 Dec 2008 under A/C Cooled Glovebox, which may be of use.

JJJ

Thanks JJJ. Ill check it out..
Paul

#6 OFFLINE   rayvon

rayvon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

Hi Paul

I've had the same thing with the booming noise (see my post re hot bonnet in this forum). I think (and it is only think at the moment) it is when the DPF is regenerating. Next time it happens, stop and check if the bonnet is very hot just above where the turbo is. I also noticed a unusual "hot" smell from the engine as well - don't be tempted to touch the filter as if its anything like mine was it'll take the skin off your hand (I just spat on it!). If it is the DPF then that would explain why it seems to be intermittent ie only happens when the filter is full. Since I had it the other day it's been fine - no noise or hot bonnet. I'm just waiting for it to happen again so I can check my theory...

cheers

rayvon

#7 OFFLINE   smipx013

smipx013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:46 PM

Hi,

Mine seems to be all the time at 1300-1600rpm, any gear, any time but worse when engine under a bit of load (slight incline/gentle acceleration). I'm used to a silky smooth v6 petrol so maybe its just a case of getting used to Diesel.

The irritating part is that the Auto box in D mode always tries to get to 1400rpm by shifting up at the earliest opportunity so it seems more frequent and worse that it probably is. The issue largely dissapears in S mode. If the D mode algorithm aimed for 1700rpm instead then all would be good.

Cheers,
Paul
Paul

#8 ONLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • 3,972 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 TDi auto (second Tig)

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:57 AM

Think that the D mode is set up to be the most fuel efficient it can be and that does seem to mean it gets a bit "groany" at times as it changes up to the higher gears pretty early. Personally I don't find it an issue but I can "hear" it at times.

Cheers

Derek
OFROK

zeland-flag-91.gif

OFC member (Old Farts Club)

2xTC member (2 times Tiguan Club)

Alexandra
New Zealand
http://www.alexandra.co.nz/
2013, night blue, TDi, auto 6sp, park assist 2, RCD 510, Bluetooth, auto wipers, auto headlights, fogs, tow pack.

#9 OFFLINE   laws34

laws34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

I know that this is quite an old post, but did you ever get to the bottom of the problem smipx013? My new Tiguan (140 TDi 2WD) has a similar problem. It was quiet and silky smooth when I picked it up from the dealers. After about a week I noticed a change to the engine note particularly between 1000 and 1500 rpm. It sounds more "throaty".
Needless to say the dealer can't find anything wrong with it!

Steve
Leicester, UK.

2013 MY SE BMT 140ps 2WD Deep Black.

#10 OFFLINE   smipx013

smipx013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Hi, Sadly not. I just learned to live with it. It was my first Diesel car so I put it down to that in the end. Forget the stealers - they will not fix this - mine went in several times and their stock answer seems to be:

1st visit - can find no fault. Please bring back if it continues
2nd visit - let's compare it to another car on the forecourt - it's the same so their must be nothing wrong

Basically if there is a design flaw/deficiency/feature like this then so long as the other car they test also does the same they seem to wash their hands of the problem so long as it's not safety related.

Cheers
paul
Paul

#11 OFFLINE   Enigma

Enigma

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • 1,692 posts
  • My Tiguan:2011 R Line TDI DSG

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

I know that this is quite an old post, but did you ever get to the bottom of the problem smipx013? My new Tiguan (140 TDi 2WD) has a similar problem. It was quiet and silky smooth when I picked it up from the dealers. After about a week I noticed a change to the engine note particularly between 1000 and 1500 rpm. It sounds more "throaty".

Steve

Had the same issue with the sound of the engine it sounds like a droning sound which is more than likely the exhaust sound in the middle box, at low RPM as NZTIGUAN said i too believe it to be that the gearing on the auto's change up too fast in order for fuel economy this puts the engine in a labour as you could be on a incline not enough to gear down but just enough to produce the sound if you punch it or manually override it in either sport of manual mode the sound will go. I've only ever heard it twice as i was cruising so the sound isn't always their nothing that i would worry about if it is their all the time not just at low RPM then go to the dealer :twoup:
Tiguan R Line, 4Motion with DSG 7Speed, RNS-510, Dual Zone Climate Control, Reversing Camera, Fiscon Bluetooth, MDI, Leathers, Convenience Pack, Winter Pack, Mats, LED Number Plate Lights, Reversing Sensors, LED Sidelights, Side Steps, Cornering Fog lights enabled, Door Warning/Puddle Lights, Wing Mirror Puddle Lights, Rear Footwell Lights, Dual Boot Light, Dual Rear Fog Lights and 24 Hour Front DRL LED Fog Lights.

UK

#12 OFFLINE   Maladroit

Maladroit

myTiguan Pro

• 295 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Steve

I too noticed over the last few weeks when journeys have been mainly local that the engine note was getting more harsh. However last weekend it was given a 100 mile run on A roads and on return the engine is much quieter, must have blown the carp out. I think next fill up I will go for BP Ultimate which I recall TIGanand recommended in post 8
UK based in Surrey , retired so living on the childrens inheritance.
Awaiting Enjoying delivery of factory order Tiguan SE 2.0 TDI 140 manual 2WD in nimbus grey with flashy xenon's and LED running lights.
Previously series of Golf's

#13 ONLINE   NZTIGUAN

NZTIGUAN

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • 3,972 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 TDi auto (second Tig)

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Remember too guys that the gearbox (both the old 6 speed and the new DSG) "learn" over time. So, if you're doing a lot of low rev work in higher gears, (where the noise is generated) the gearbox, to a certain extent, gets "used" to that and is then even less likely to change down. I think this is why people often find this appears some time after initial ownership. Overall though, as said early in this thread, the noise is "caused" by the Tig being quite happy at very low revs in each gear AND the fact that it's programmed to be as efficient as possible. So, it's not a "fault" as such and the Tig is perfectly happy (and economic) at those revs, it's just "the drivers" who don't appreciate the groaning noise that we associate with the need to change down in older manual vehicles. You never hear this complaint in the manuals BUT you do hear owners of manuals saying (they have a "suggested" shift light in their MFD) the car is "asking" them to shift up too early all the time, so if they DID shift up I suspect they'd hear the same noise.

Overall, it's not a fault, there's nothing wrong and if you don't like it either flick it into "manual mode" and change down or flick it into Sport mode. Believe me you'll soon be complaining it isn't changing up soon enough and you're using too much gas lol !!

Cheers

Derek
OFROK

zeland-flag-91.gif

OFC member (Old Farts Club)

2xTC member (2 times Tiguan Club)

Alexandra
New Zealand
http://www.alexandra.co.nz/
2013, night blue, TDi, auto 6sp, park assist 2, RCD 510, Bluetooth, auto wipers, auto headlights, fogs, tow pack.

#14 OFFLINE   Gmsal

Gmsal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 BMT 140 4Motion

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

I too noticed over the last few weeks when journeys have been mainly local that the engine note was getting more harsh. However last weekend it was given a 100 mile run on A roads and on return the engine is much quieter, must have blown the carp out. I think next fill up I will go for BP Ultimate which I recall TIGanand recommended in post 8

I too noticed the same thing mine got really throaty and felt like a rougher ride (I was using supermarket diesel at the time). Since I've switched to Shell V power the engine sounds and feels totally different.

I have used the occasional Shell regular diesel, but will never go back to supermarket fuel. In my opinion paying the extra is worth it.

West Yorkshire

UK.

My Tiguan;

2013 SE 2.0 TDI BMT 140, 4Motion, Reflex Silver, RNS 510.

#15 OFFLINE   glenh

glenh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • My Tiguan:2009 2.0 TDI 140 Sport Manual

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

I've got this issue too, a vibration\booming noise in the cabin from the engine area when the revs are between approximately 1250 and 1500, I can mainly hear it in the first 4 gears, after that road noise pretty much takes over - I got the car second hand about 9 months ago with 22000 miles on the clock - it's now done 32000.

I'm 99.9% certain this wasn't there when I first got it - has anybody heard of what causes this as when I do a google search it seems to be a relatively common issue and it primarily affects autos\dsg? - mines a manual BTW.

The car is in for a major service next month so I'll see what VW say about it....

Great-Britain-120-animated-flag-gifs.gif

#16 OFFLINE   forkbender

forkbender

forkbender

• Moderators
  • 4,233 posts
  • My Tiguan:2011 2.0 TDI Match DSG 7

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

see NZTIGUAN's reply to the issue higher up the thread.....i think that pretty much answers the question.

(R) OFC

Now interested in the hereafter..often find myself in a room and wondering "Now what did I come in here after!"

UK Sheffield

flag43.gifflag-of-england.gif

2011 Tiguan Match TDI 140 4Motion DSG 7 with cruise, panoramic sunroof, winter and convenience packs, summer and winter mats, mud flaps all round, in reflex silver

The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15 
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Maphttp://www.mytiguan....p-of-the-world/
Glossary of Abbreviations: http://www.mytiguan....-abbreviations/

#17 OFFLINE   glenh

glenh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

Hi forkbender - I read nztiguans reply but I drive a manual, that isn't going to learn my driving habit and adapt!

The engine makes a resonating noise in the cabin between 1250 and 1500rpm and I don't see how this noise makes the engine more efficient? - and the worse bit is that in 4th gear at 1250-1500rpm this equates to 30-35mph which is the speed limit on pretty much all town/city roads here in the uk.

The car didn't make this noise when I first got it secondhand last year, it's only appeared over the last couple of months - so there must be something causing it surely?

#18 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Moderators
  • 2,771 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:37 AM

Booming in a manual has led to a problem with the dual mass flywheel.
Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 2002 Dakota, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop

Ottawa, Canada

#19 OFFLINE   glenh

glenh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the info Shawn, I'm reading some articles that suggest the electric hand brake can cause DMF problems if it doesn't release automatically, which mine does very annoyingly on occasion - do you know if there's any truth in that? - in which case would it be better to use the brake auto-hold which uses the brake hydraulics rather than the electric rear calipers? - or can that cause problems with the hydraulic pump???

I say bring back a normal handbrake then life would be so much easier - and potentially cheaper too!

#20 OFFLINE   Old Dog

Old Dog

myTiguan Master

• Moderators
  • 6,635 posts
  • My Tiguan:2011 - 2.0T Comfortline (SE)

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the info Shawn, I'm reading some articles that suggest the electric hand brake can cause DMF problems if it doesn't release automatically, which mine does very annoyingly on occasion - do you know if there's any truth in that? - in which case would it be better to use the brake auto-hold which uses the brake hydraulics rather than the electric rear calipers? - or can that cause problems with the hydraulic pump???

I say bring back a normal handbrake then life would be so much easier - and potentially cheaper too!

Sometimes the old ways are the best way. ;-)

Current: 2015 Trendline 4MOTION dressed in Pure White with Convenience Package as described here >>> http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/18977-new-dog-house-on-the-way/#entry202785 .

Previous: 2011 Tiguan Comfortline/SE 2.0T 4MOTION in White Gold with Sport Package.
The Tiggy Map of the World: http://www.zeemaps.c...&y=-1.4061&z=15 
How to add yourself to the Tiggy Map: http://www.mytiguan....p-of-the-world/
Glossary of Abbreviations: http://www.mytiguan....-abbreviations/

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it like five or six times, you know, just to be sure."

Montreal, Quebec (Canada) canadian.gif Member of the ROFC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users