9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SandLake

SandLake

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 Match TDI 140 DSG BMT 4M
  • Where are you located?:United Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

Bought a 2013 Tiguan 2.0D 4Motion with 30000 miles on it last November, it had been a Motability car and I was advised it had had all necessary servicing done. I expected that the MFD display would tell me when work needed doing. Sure enough last week it said Inspection due in 20 days.

I know nothing about servicing.

Looking into it, the service book shows an Inspection was carried out in March 2015 (at 15000 miles). I have a service history printout from a VW dealer that agrees with that but also says in September 2016 it was MOT'd and had the Hydraulic fluid changed (I would guess that was at 28000 miles).

That means the oil hasn't been changed for 2 1/4 years - seems like an excessively long time?

I feel that although the message is that an Inspection is due (AKA minor service?) I would prefer to do a major service (and probably just do this annually from now on - based on 8000 miles annually) - is that sensible?

Thanks

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 08:52 PM

#2 OFFLINE   Stiguan4Motion

Stiguan4Motion

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • My Tiguan:2016 SE 4Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::New Jersey

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

Could have been the Haldex been serviced after 3 years.

Current: 2016 SE 4Motion/ Gen 1 EA888 2.0T (CCTA)/ 6-speed Tiptronic 

Past: 2008 Passat 2.0T 6MT, 2002 Golf TDI 5MT, 1988.5 Toyota Camry V6 5MT, 1984 Corolla 3AT

VCDS HEX+CAN Located in NJ, USA

#3 OFFLINE   SandLake

SandLake

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

I'm not sure what that means?

#4 OFFLINE   Stiguan4Motion

Stiguan4Motion

myTiguan Pro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • My Tiguan:2016 SE 4Motion
  • Where are you located?:United States
  • Additional Location Information::New Jersey

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

you have a 4Motion, right?

Current: 2016 SE 4Motion/ Gen 1 EA888 2.0T (CCTA)/ 6-speed Tiptronic 

Past: 2008 Passat 2.0T 6MT, 2002 Golf TDI 5MT, 1988.5 Toyota Camry V6 5MT, 1984 Corolla 3AT

VCDS HEX+CAN Located in NJ, USA

#5 OFFLINE   SandLake

SandLake

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:02 PM

Yes

#6 OFFLINE   mickjane2

mickjane2

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  • My Tiguan:Mk1 Match DSG TDI Full Leather
  • Additional Location Information::Kent the Garden of England

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:27 PM

I'm not sure what that means?

Haldex Is the electronically operated clutch that is attached to the rear differential and allows the power to be transferred to which ever axle requires it, in a nutshell.

Mick

N.W.  Kent  England

2010 Black 2.0 TDI DSG, 4Motion, Match with Full cornsilk leather, Winter pack, Storage pack, 230v inverter, RNS 510 Sat/Nav, RVC, 9W7 B/T unit, Cruse Control, Dual Climate Control, MFSW, Running boards, Modified mud flaps (all round,) Slash cut chrome exhaust tips, Chrome reverse light surrounds, Chrome front fog light surround, Chrome tailgate trim, Polished stainless steel sill covers, Chrome light switch bezel, Four door laser projector puddle lights, Chrome seat switches, Brushed stainless steel side flashes, Power folding mirrors  With chrome covers and puddle lights.

2010 Black EOS SE 140 TDI DSG

Member of the  OFC

#7 OFFLINE   SandLake

SandLake

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:42 PM

Thanks but it wasn't the word Haldex that confused me, possibly I was being advised that Hydraulic Fluid and Haldex were the same thing (possibly) - It was however the legitimacy of any lack of oil change for 2 1/4 years that I was enquiring about?

#8 OFFLINE   marc7

marc7

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • My Tiguan:2013 r-line 2.0 tdi

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

where does the hydraulic fluid go ?????

2013 R-line

2007 T5

1990 caddy

1983 golf gtd

#9 OFFLINE   Rory

Rory

myTiguan Expert

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • My Tiguan:Match 150PS 4Motion DSG
  • Additional Location Information::Chester

Posted Yesterday, 11:28 AM

Leased cars, like Motability, are on LongLife variable servicing so service interval depends how they're used and they can go a maximum of two years between services.

So your car may well have only had one service in its life, at around 2yrs old.  If the Motability contract ended at 3yrs I'm amazed the Haldex fluid got changed.

VW "encourages" owners of cars more than 3yrs old to switch to annual servicing and have alternate minor and major services.  Of course this means if you buy a 3yr old car, the next service it needs is a major one and it's a shock to new owners as it'll be quite expensive as it'll need fuel and air filters etc.

All the details are in the car's servicing book - do you have that?

near Chester, UK.

#10 ONLINE   kennygrier

kennygrier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 2.0TDI 4 Motion Match
  • Additional Location Information::united kingdom

Posted Today, 07:34 PM

I gave up with my dealer servicing my car as they turned out to be the usual lazy liars that most main dealers are. Also I am not a fan of minor services so just do a major service once a year.
Carparts4less same company as eurocarparts have a sale every weekend and you can get a full set of Mann filters delivered to the door for less than £35. For oil, opie oils will give you 5ltrs of Castrol 05/30 LL delivered for about £40 depending on what deal they have on. I have tried my local TPS but found them overly expensive and not overly helpful.
So for £80 ish and a couple of hours work I get a major service as a pose to £350 from a liar.

For brake and suspension parts I have started using a German company with a UK web site. https://www.autodoc.co.uk I got a full set of monroe shocks front and back for £137 delivered.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users