#1 OFFLINE   jonrhughes

jonrhughes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • My Tiguan:2011 S
  • Where are you located?:United States

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:02 PM

Hi,

I've been having an issue with the shifter in my 2011 Tiguan S automatic. Basically, it consistently 'slips' when trying to shift into Reverse, sliding into Park but registering R (and displaying a wrench icon in the dashboard digital display). The same thing happens when trying to shift into Park, where it slides unnaturally and displays R and the wrench error. Overall, it just feels very delicate, like it requires extreme precision to shift into Reverse and Park, vs. the normal feel of the shift sliding into different gears with resistance between them.

I didn't have the issue prior to an incident where I believe accidentally shifted it past reverse into park while the car was still moving slightly. The shifter became stuck in park and before I realized there was a shiftlock release under the cover, I probably tried too hard to force it to downshift. It's possible applying force created some looseness in the shifter that has cause the problem to recur pretty regularly.

Now, it probably happens half the time I drive the car, requiring me to use the shiftlock release tab to reset it each time. Overall, upshifting just feels very loose and impossible to avoid shifting past reverse and getting stuck in wrench-land. I'm not sure what the solution is, but ideally it's just in need of tightening due to my efforts to force the shifter when the problem first occurred. 

Let me know if you have any ideas about what this might be attributable to, or if you've had the same issue. Hoping you can help. 

Thanks,
Jon

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 08:52 PM

#2 OFFLINE   shawng

shawng

myTiguan Master

• Administrators
  • 4,393 posts
  • My Tiguan:2010 Highline (CAN)
  • Where are you located?:Canada
  • Additional Location Information::Ottawa

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

Welcome tot he forum. it could be an issue with the console or even with the selector on the transmission. The shift into park while moving concerns me. I have seen internal damage to the transmission for this. No matter what, this should be fixed ASAP before you injure yourself, someone else or cause a collision. Seeing as how these parts will be dealer only, i suggest you head there and save yourself some aggravation

Shawn
2010 Tiguan, 2007 Golf, 1928 Chev AB National
Owner of an independent auto repair and performance shop.

#3 OFFLINE   jonrhughes

jonrhughes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • My Tiguan:2011 S
  • Where are you located?:United States

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

Thanks, Shawn. Unfortunately, I brought it into a VW shop and they said they couldn't fix it because they couldn't reproduce the error, which is frustrating. It happens sporadically but pretty consistently, and I figured they'd at least be able to narrow down to a set of likely causes based on the description.

I should clarify - it's not shifting into park while moving forward, only when stopped and trying to shift into Reverse. So it feels less dangerous than annoying, since while stopped I have to pull up the shift cover and depress the release tab.

I've tried to find similar problems discussed on other threads, and in some threads that discuss shifting issues they mention among potential solutions "replacing the wire to the shift solenoid". Again, not the same exact problem but perhaps a similar solution.

Appreciate the help.

#4 ONLINE   n4s

n4s

myTiguan Master

• My Tiguan Master
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • My Tiguan:Sport TDI auto 2009
  • Where are you located?:Portugal
  • Additional Location Information::portugal

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:24 PM

Strange, when I get the wrench signal usually I get fault code. Fortunately all I got till now are caused by my codings and not real problem.
But I believe there should be fault in memory. Take it to friend or garage with vcds to confirm if error is there and if yes, push the dealer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shift, problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users